Thread: Steve Hackett Talks "Dark Side..."

Steve Hackett Talks "Dark Side..."

Nice. Steve is always so eloquent. To me this guitar prog legend is STILL a guiding light in the world of prog, and a true inspiration.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

best guitarist eva

Met him once after he did an interview for a satellite music service. Very nice and pleasant person. He stood there and gave the appearance of being genuinely interested in my opinions about how he influenced so many other guitarists especially in the Neo-Prog genre. That was polite of him.
    Last edited by Splicer; 12-24-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I never approached him, but at the NEARfest at which I saw him for the first time, when I was checking in to the Comfort Suites, he either just had or was about to do so. But he was sidetracked signing some LPs for someone, and somehow it was enough to just see him doing that. It was obvious he was a nice guy - I didn't want to hold him up.

Apologies if this might be covered in another thread, but does anyone know why Gary O'Toole has left Hackett's band? Great drummer, gifted singer as well. Really enjoyed the shows with him on board.

Yeah, always love Hackett and he's always interesting in interviews. I do have to say though, that his suggestion that singles weren't the most important thing in the early 1970's........I'm sure they weren't important to HIM (or Pink Floyd, for that matter) but they still had their own chart and most people only cared about singles even at that time. They had been around since at least the 50's and drove the music industry from the 60's until the early 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    [S]ingles ... had been around since at least the 50's and drove the music industry from the 60's until the early 2000's.
    The original records were "singles." Running at 78RPM, they could only hold one normal-length song.

The original "albums" were literally albums, like photo albums, containing several 78s. Typically, the various parts of a longer (i.e., classical) piece.

The LP, containing multiple songs or a whole symphony on one disc, wasn't introduced until 1948 and didn't hit big until the 1950s.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary O'Toole
    Some of you are aware of the horrid year I have had personally. I shall devote more time to my school in developing the new environment and also my online school. While also finding a new studio and finally getting to grips with writing my own material.
    Um... anyone care to fill the rest of us in on what transpired?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Loved his effortless drumming and his vox on BOTR. Would have loved for him to sing all the W&W material (and have Nad play the drums). : /

In the "Wolflight" tour he did the single most impressive drum solo I have ever seen. It was one of the "Acolyte" tracks, possibly "Tower." It just built and built and my friend and I looked at each other with amazement. The man must be an octopus if not a squid.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Love the way he said that prog borrowing stuff from all over back in the day really didn't exist as a genre...I agree.