Thread: King Crimson News

  1. #651
    Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Except they never did before...and the way this band interprets 50 years of music is far from simple repertory, at least IMHO. Some material is, indeed, relatively faithful (or, at least, as a band with three-drummer arrangements can be!)...but most has been reworked, rearranged and reinterpreted, rather than trying to replicate what cams before. AND they have about an LP's worth of new material.

    Sorry Fruminous, but you and I will never agree on this one
    I’m sure I’m in the minority, but the eighties Crimson is really my very favorite version of the band, a group with four highly individual and idiosyncratic personalities that largely played original material with just a nod or two to the past. The fact that they probably never could have done justice to the Mellotron drenched days of yore isn’t especially a concern for me. I don’t get remotely get near that sense of identity from the current band which makes them boring to me like the current Yes is also boring though Crimson sports much more zing and firepower than Yes does these days. I have to give them that.

    I am interested in hearing the new version of TCOL as that album never quite got there for me. I listen to the live versions of that stuff when I want to hear it like just about every one else does. I liked Heaven & Earth and The Projekcts box much better and I thought TPTB was an amazing record. Maybe that one really should be the end of the studio catalog. I don’t know. It was a five star record for me in 2003 and it’s still one for me today.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

  2. #652
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yes
    Ooops.. I didn't look back thru the thread..

  3. #653
    KrimsonCat MissKittysMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    76
    Does anyone know if the "reconstructed" TCOL will be released as an "anniversary" album, rather than just in a large box set? I'd love to hear this, but not really into the (expensive) major box-set nostalgia/completist series.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

  4. #654
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKittysMom View Post
    Does anyone know if the "reconstructed" TCOL will be released as an "anniversary" album, rather than just in a large box set? I'd love to hear this, but not really into the (expensive) major box-set nostalgia/completist series.
    Yup. Check it out.

    Here's what it contains:

    CD
    Re-imagined / remixed album

    DVD-A
    Re-imagined /remixed album in hi-res stereo
    5.1 Surround mix
    Original album mix
    In Hi-Res stereo

    Bonus Feature
    Complete ProjeKct X album- Heaven & Earth
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  5. #655
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    This is (not unexpectedly) pretty different. Makes me wish the original version would still be available (the more ideal disc 2 in this package than H&E, IMO)

    Also, maybe this will lead to FraKctured making the current lineup's repertoire.

    Not sure I love the drum sounds either...mix seems a bit weird too to my very cloth ears.

    The original will be on the DVD. And if you don't like the new drums, then don't sell the original CD.

    I like the new drums and having a new mix.

    I never understand why people complain about how a new mix is awful, when all they have to do is just listen to the original CD they already own.
    I would much rather hear what a new remix will sound like verses just a remaster.

  6. #656
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,094
    Great interview with Jakko here from Andertons:

    Last edited by Sean; 04-15-2019 at 10:23 AM.

  7. #657
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    The original will be on the DVD. And if you don't like the new drums, then don't sell the original CD.

    I like the new drums and having a new mix.

    I never understand why people complain about how a new mix is awful, when all they have to do is just listen to the original CD they already own.
    I would much rather hear what a new remix will sound like verses just a remaster.
    This is mainly a complaint about that particular mix not being available anymore. I"m certainly not going to get rid of my old CD, but it won't last forever. It would have made sense to include the original mix with the new mix, IMO.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  8. #658
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    This is mainly a complaint about that particular mix not being available anymore. I"m certainly not going to get rid of my old CD, but it won't last forever. It would have made sense to include the original mix with the new mix, IMO.
    The original mix is on the 2nd disc...on DVD yeah, but there still.
    And I have yet to have a CD go bad.
    There are thousands of copies of the original you could buy

  9. #659
    And Robert has a Rolling Stone interview: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...e-west-820783/

    Fun quote: A primary aim of the present band is to move outside the conventional male prog ghetto. Lol.

  10. #660
    Thanks for the heads up on the Fripp interview....how did I miss
    "Fripp said of prog in 2014. “If you walk on stage and you’re playing music, fine. But if you’re walking on stage and you’re playing progressive rock: death.”

    Hahaha....

  11. #661
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,463
    Maybe you all can team up with Steven Wilson and go on a pop tour.

  12. #662
    Next thing you know Fripp is going to break his vow of onstage silence and lecture us on how ABBA is cool !

  13. #663
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,343
    What impresses me about Fripp:

    He's 72, he's leading a band playing some fifty years of music, and he thinks mostly about the future. Not the past, the future. And he always has, even though his strategy in doing so might have changed over the years. Right now, his goal seems to be to reach people. And this may be possible for him in a way it hasn't for decades, because for all his professed weariness with prog, the culture war that made it an target of contempt has mostly been forgotten. So in some sense, the point of picking from that huge catalog, rather than concentrating on new material, is one of reaching people - if he's going to do music that re-invents the rock band into a sort of micro-orchestra, why not do the best music he has?
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 04-15-2019 at 10:52 AM.

  14. #664
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Next thing you know Fripp is going to break his vow of onstage silence and lecture us on how ABBA is cool !
    Hey! ABBA is cool! I love them!!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

  15. #665
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Hey! ABBA is cool! I love them!!
    Thank you!

  16. #666
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Just to be clear: Pat does a lot more than just replace the drums. The mix of the guitars (and, in some cases, flat out how they sound) is very different, and his decisions re: placement and emphasis are also very different to the original. If I didn't know the material so well, I'd call this a new album...and calling it "ReconstruKction" is a very fitting term.
    I've been digesting the "new" Frakctured, and I have to agree. To me it's more like what the song would've sounded like if they toured it before they recorded the album.

  17. #667
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I’m sure I’m in the minority, but the eighties Crimson is really my very favorite version of the band, a group with four highly individual and idiosyncratic personalities that largely played original material with just a nod or two to the past. The fact that they probably never could have done justice to the Mellotron drenched days of yore isn’t especially a concern for me. I don’t get remotely get near that sense of identity from the current band which makes them boring to me like the current Yes is also boring though Crimson sports much more zing and firepower than Yes does these days. I have to give them that.

    I am interested in hearing the new version of TCOL as that album never quite got there for me. I listen to the live versions of that stuff when I want to hear it like just about every one else does. I liked Heaven & Earth and The Projekcts box much better and I thought TPTB was an amazing record. Maybe that one really should be the end of the studio catalog. I don’t know. It was a five star record for me in 2003 and it’s still one for me today.
    You're not the only one who feels this way

    My first exposure to the band was the Sleepless video, on MTV of all places, so that period will always be special to me. Was just listening to the various versions of "Waiting Man" last night from "On and Off the Road" last night, and in just blown away by them.

    The old catalog has some great music, and it's pretty cool to see the new band perform it live. But, I listen to a lot of the live releases from all periods and the ones that really stand out are the quartet versions of the band. I wish the recordings of the Islands band were better so I could get a better feel for them. I don't know why this is, but the quartet lineups translate better to recording and were even better live of course. The new "large lineup" band doesn't record well IMO, but is great to see live. Gotta have that "hot date" atmosphere to make it shine, evidently.

  18. #668
    Quote Originally Posted by g.bremer View Post
    You're not the only one who feels this way

    My first exposure to the band was the Sleepless video, on MTV of all places, so that period will always be special to me. Was just listening to the various versions of "Waiting Man" last night from "On and Off the Road" last night, and in just blown away by them.

    The old catalog has some great music, and it's pretty cool to see the new band perform it live. But, I listen to a lot of the live releases from all periods and the ones that really stand out are the quartet versions of the band. I wish the recordings of the Islands band were better so I could get a better feel for them. I don't know why this is, but the quartet lineups translate better to recording and were even better live of course. The new "large lineup" band doesn't record well IMO, but is great to see live. Gotta have that "hot date" atmosphere to make it shine, evidently.

    Interesting. All I've heard of the latest Crimson band is Live in Chicago. While I enjoy it, because obviously the material is outstanding, I really don't get the same feeling I do with other Crimson live performances. I don't think it's anywhere near the same as Yes trotting out their same set lists year after year (i.e., glorified cover band IMO....though others are more than welcome to disagree and I won't argue because art is mostly subjective anyway). Fripp wouldn't go the full nostalgia route, which is obvious by the 3 drummers and somewhat different arrangements (actually, most of the arrangements seem like they just lifted the exact album version and are playing them back.......though songs with improv in them are different, obviously). I really do miss the violin on the Lark's stuff though, I have to say (though replacing it with sax is kind of interesting.......I'd rather have the violin, and I love good sax playing).

    Maybe you are right though about the quartet thing......my all time favorite live Crimson are the original line up, the Larks' era, and the "Discipline" band of the early 80's. Still, having not seen the new beast in person, I may not be getting the full effect. In any case, at the moment I don't have any interest in picking up any more live albums by the current incarnation as I really don't see the point, for my Crimson tastes.

    I did love that recent Rolling Stone interview with Fripp, and I think it's awesome that he is always looking forward and thinking about the future. I also hope that the current incarnation does reach more people, as I think Crimson in general have been a fantastic one of a kind band that more people should get to know.

  19. #669
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Hey! ABBA is cool! I love them!!
    I didn't mean to imply it wasn't (or was, for that matter), it was the lecturing I was (gently) mocking. I enjoyed the Steven Wilson gig I saw where he did it, notwithstanding that.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php
    Excerpts from interviews : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...z9EvJjeuxQJ4x5

  20. #670
    Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coastal California
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by g.bremer View Post
    I wish the recordings of the Islands band were better so I could get a better feel for them.
    I thought Live at Summit Studios kicks some ass fairly handily. It is a good recording too. No lie: it completely revolutionized my impression of the Islands line-up.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

  21. #671
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    The original mix is on the 2nd disc...on DVD yeah, but there still.
    And I have yet to have a CD go bad.
    There are thousands of copies of the original you could buy
    Obviously that's not the same, but good for you bro.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  22. #672
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Obviously that's not the same, but good for you bro.
    That's why I keep the original.
    If you want the original mix, then don't buy this.

  23. #673
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...e-west-820783/

    Rolling stone interview with fripp promoting the tour

  24. #674
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Next thing you know Fripp is going to break his vow of onstage silence and lecture us on how ABBA is cool !
    Fripp would say "ABBA are cool", I would hope...

  25. #675
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...e-west-820783/

    Rolling stone interview with fripp promoting the tour
    Dude. 14 posts up...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •