Page 22 of 86 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson News

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Re: The "self-inflicted wound". So we're to believe that they chopped a section of live tape to reuse as the basis of a quasi-studio piece by way of overdubbing, used some engineering magic to make it sound exactly like tape running out, and then they forgot, and close to 20 years later they were fooled by their own studio shenanigans and thought they were dealing with a tape-ran-out scenario?
    As I understand it, the tape did run out at the end of the section that became "The Mincer," hence the sputtering, disintegrating sound at the end. And it does sound like they've chopped a bit there where "The Mincer" splices back into TLOMD to cover for the tape change. But jeez, I knew the story behind where "The Mincer" came from; how could they not?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    As I understand it, the tape did run out at the end of the section that became "The Mincer," hence the sputtering, disintegrating sound at the end. And it does sound like they've chopped a bit there where "The Mincer" splices back into TLOMD to cover for the tape change. But jeez, I knew the story behind where "The Mincer" came from; how could they not?
    Well, that's the story as I thought I knew it, but Singleton seems to be saying otherwise (... "the tape had not run out"... ) , unless I misunderstood.

I thought that I had read either in Court of King Crimson or in the Great Deceiver booklet that they used two recording machines and somehow both had managed to fail in this critical section
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Well, that's the story as I thought I knew it, but Singleton seems to be saying otherwise (... "the tape had not run out"... ) , unless I misunderstood.
    He means the tape had not run out in the middle of recording what would become Maximum Distress. The tape most certainly ran out at the end of the Mincer, since they only the chunk they pulled out of the Maximum Distress jam to work with.

Details on the Heaven and Earth Box

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/Heaven%...et%20pre-order

The latest in the acclaimed series of King Crimson boxed sets is now available for pre-order. Heaven and Earth is a 24 disc - 18 x CD, 4 x Blu-Ray and 2 x DVD-A - set and represents the most comprehensive collection in the series to date and covers the period from December 1997 to August 2008.

This 24 disc - 18 x CD, 4 x Blu-Ray and 2 x DVD-A - set represents the most comprehensive collection in the series to date and covers the period from December 1997 to August 2008.

Contents (Presented in a 12” box with booklet, memorabilia and new sleeve-notes by Sid Smith and David Singleton)

* 3CDs feature a re-imagining of The ConstruKction of Light, an extended/enhanced stereo mix of The Power to Believe and the (studio) Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With and Level 5 mini-albums.

* 4CDs feature ProjeKcts 1 - 4 (new to CD) with 1 CD allocated to each line-up.

* 11CDs feature live recordings (several new to CD, with some material previously unreleased) from the 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2008 tours.

* 3 Blu-Ray audio discs:
    Last edited by Vic333; 03-28-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Preordered!

I didn't realize there was a P1 studio recording.

Preordered!

I didn't realize there was a P1 studio recording.
    Yeah, I believe P1 is the only one that recorded in the studio. May be a bit too much of the Projekcs for me, but I think the hook is set at this point.

The eons are closing
    I'm in .... Been waiting on this....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Holy cow... This one disc may make this box a must-buy....

* Blu-Ray video contains Europe 2000 - The Bootleg TV tour, which features around 10 hours of audio/video mostly never seen/heard since the concerts with versions of selected songs and improvs (usually two per night of each) from almost every show. Includes footage and music from 20 performances.

Definitely one that I will want
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Yeah, I believe P1 is the only one that recorded in the studio. May be a bit too much of the Projekcs for me, but I think the hook is set at this point.

I was also under the impression that the only studio recording a ProjeKct had made was P2 ("Space Groove") .... thought the only P1 stuff was the Jazz Cafe shows, as Bruford was otherwise uninvolved in the sub groupings... hmmmm....

Like it or hate it, you have to admit Fripp & team know how to celebrate an anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    I was also under the impression that the only studio recording a ProjeKct had made was P2 ("Space Groove") ....
    And oddly, the description on DGM attributes Space Groove to P1.

And oddly, the description on DGM attributes Space Groove to P1.
    Probably an error- if memory serves P2 recorded first (in Belew's Nashville studio) and then P1 had their Jazz Cafe gigs in London. This could certainly account for the confusion, i.e. P1 were conceived first but "saw action" second, as in the meantime P2 spontaneously came to record a whole CD full of blows (centered on the then cutting edge electric V drums) ... that became "Space Groove".
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 03-28-2019 at 08:42 PM.

It looks pretty comprehensive except for the Eyes Wide Open DVD - no mention of it being included - not sure why not. The video Blu-ray Disc only seems to have the CoL tour video so no video on here from the PtB tour which for me was up there with the early 80's tours as favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    P2. It must be an error.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Want.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Whew. Another year. Another KC boxset. I guess that means the Jethro Tull boxset preorder won't be too far away, and my wallet gets lighter and lighter.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Hmm...going to hold off excitement until I see what live shows they are including on CD. Doesn't seem terribly comprehensive on ProjeKcts and much more non 2000 tour than anticipated. Not sure how I like this reimaging of TCOL (with the original version apparently lost to time?). Also, is the projeKct X CD included in the big or just TCOL redone version?

Obviously I'm going to buy this of course...so I guess I don't really care about the final details really.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Doesn't seem terribly comprehensive on ProjeKcts
    Every concert plus all the releases isn't comprehensive enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Also, is the projeKct X CD included
    Not as a separate CD, but it is included on the blu-ray discs along with the rest of the complete ProjeKct recordings.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Every concert plus all the releases isn't comprehensive enough?

Not as a separate CD, but it is included on the blu-ray discs along with the rest of the complete ProjeKct recordings.

Hmm...it seems I have missed that. Thanks. Re-reading it I can see it made it on the bluray. Is there a way to transfer these bluray audio tracks to computer/ipod/etc? (sorry if this is a massive luddite question...I are massive luddite)

And an odd exclusion being it made it into TCOL rerelease. But, fair enough. Looking forward to track list leak.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by DGMLive
    * 3CDs feature a re-imagining of The ConstruKction of Light (...)
    Concept of "re-imagining" is explained elsewhere:

Quote Originally Posted by DGMLive
    The ReconstruKction of Light – is the fourteenth release in the acclaimed King Crimson 40th anniversary series.
    • CD features a “re-imagined” edition of the album with all drums replaced by Pat Mastelotto & the entire album remixed to accommodate these changes by Don Gunn (who mixed last year’s Meltdown: Live in Mexico set.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Wow, I guess they took all the drum-sound criticism construKctively.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The other bonus is that on a purely technical level, Pat has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 19 years.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Holy cow... This one disc may make this box a must-buy....

* Blu-Ray video contains Europe 2000 - The Bootleg TV tour, which features around 10 hours of audio/video mostly never seen/heard since the concerts with versions of selected songs and improvs (usually two per night of each) from almost every show. Includes footage and music from 20 performances.
    I'll be intrigued to see what quality of video is on these tracks.
    The only Bootleg TV stuff I have seen was included with the 'Heavy ConstruKction' live release, and it was very low-def.
    That may have been down the disc options back then.
    The audio should be OK for the blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The DGM website implies the stem tracks for the drums were lost.
    The remixes required new drums tracks.