Page 14 of 86 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson News

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I didn't see any video (concert or TV-shot contents in those boxsets.µ

Or maybe I didn't look right.

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    I will be seeing the 8-man Crim soon, but there's no way I'll spend another penny on Islands or Earthbound. I appreciate that some of us love this "lost era" of the band, but count me among those (few? many?) that aren't interested. Enjoy it, all ye of so-inclination.
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of this 70-72 period but all of the box sets have been so enjoyable thus far I have to buy.
    I kind of understand, as I'm not crazy about Islands (I find the composition fairly weak) and was always unfavourably flabbergasted at the sonics of Earthbound (I still don't own it).

However, if no video of the 70-72 line-up concert are never to appear, I could be tempted by the extended of the Earthbound 40th Anniv, if the sonic issues are resolved
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Vernon Reid:

"And, don’t forget — we live in a very anti-intellectual age. It’s amazing to see so many people supporting, with their money, [KC bandleader Robert] Fripp, who is a maestro of singularity, and also support a form of music he developed and created on many different levels, from the acoustic to the electronic. He’s a phenomenal bandleader and a phenomenal innovator. And it works. It’s just a really, really great thing."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/...rnon-reid/amp/
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Vernon Reid:

"And, don’t forget — we live in a very anti-intellectual age. It’s amazing to see so many people supporting, with their money, [KC bandleader Robert] Fripp, who is a maestro of singularity, and also support a form of music he developed and created on many different levels, from the acoustic to the electronic. He’s a phenomenal bandleader and a phenomenal innovator. And it works. It’s just a really, really great thing."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/...rnon-reid/amp/
    I saw Vernon Reid open for KC in 1996, I think. He blew my mind. I went out and bought his album Mistaken Identity. It's amazing. Can't believe he's stayed so relatively unknown. Such a talent.

Does Vernon have/do any proggy stuff?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone know yet if the Inner Knot US store will have "frequent flyer" pricing for this and if so what the discount is? I've emailed them to ask but thought I'd check here too. Currently, I don't see any discount showing up during checkout.

I think it's usually $25 which would STILL bring Burning Shed in at about $9 lower.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I don't know his solo catalogue, but Living Colour's new album is rocking my ass off this morning. Weird mutated blues. Outer space guitar. Heavy--heavier than you can handle--riffs. And lots of political anger.

Nothing remotely Prog about it, but it's worthwhile if you like heavy power quartets.

Edit: will welcome any Reid solo recs. Probably should pick some of that up.

The album I have (Mistaken Identity) is prog, in my opinion, with funk elements. At least it's quite different than anything I've ever heard. Some good humor, too. Very bizarre. One of my favorite albums ever.

He did play with Spectrum Road, the tribute to Tony Williams. The band had Medeski, Jack Bruce and Cindy Blackman-Santana. While, not "prog", it was a pretty cool band. I know they did at least one album a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone know yet if the Inner Knot US store will have "frequent flyer" pricing for this and if so what the discount is? I've emailed them to ask but thought I'd check here too. Currently, I don't see any discount showing up during checkout.

I think it's usually $25 which would STILL bring Burning Shed in at about $9 lower.
    was wondering that too. also with the 80s box burning shed had some exclusive album prints and I think DGM offered a free download or something. I went with burning shed in that case. any word on variances like that?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I got confirmation: no Frequent Flier discount on Sailors' Tales from DGM. Hmm, have to think a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I got confirmation: no Frequent Flier discount on Sailors' Tales from DGM. Hmm, have to think a bit.
    That's odd. It's showing up for me in the DGM shop with frequent flier pricing of $190.00

Quote Originally Posted by frippster View Post
    That's odd. It's showing up for me in the DGM shop with frequent flier pricing of $190.00
    That's the regular price.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Also in the next box : "There are 3 audition blows that have never been released before, and many more little gems. " (Mr Stormy)

Lucky Man
    Ya know. Love me some Crim. Love me some Uncle Bob.

( bet I can't call him this. KNOW I shouldn't. )

Met Mr. Fripp in 1979. Frippertronics tour. Just A Song records. Albany, NY.

It makes for an interesting and unusual tale, you may not be surprised to read.

If it's okay with all concerned, I can sort of serialize it...

...it isn't utterly unsavory and does have a socially redeeming moment or two...

More importantly - when will the official release date for live in Chicago be known? Know burning shed says October 13, but nothing official from the band, just pre orders and nothing about iTunes yet! Just curious! Will be awesome to see these guys live in Milwaukee in about two months time!

Full tracklist for King Crimson's Sailor Tales Box Set;

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/Sailors...k%20by%20track

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    Ya know. Love me some Crim. Love me some Uncle Bob.

( bet I can't call him this. KNOW I shouldn't. )

Met Mr. Fripp in 1979. Frippertronics tour. Just A Song records. Albany, NY.

It makes for an interesting and unusual tale, you may not be surprised to read.

If it's okay with all concerned, I can sort of serialize it...

...it isn't utterly unsavory and does have a socially redeeming moment or two...
    Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post

Ugh. Not to sound difficult, but I'm really disappointed in the amount of stuff - the kind of stuff that I was hoping for when I handed over my money - is relegated to blu-ray only. Unless I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post

Lots of awesome in that box.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Ugh. Not to sound difficult, but I'm really disappointed in the amount of stuff - the kind of stuff that I was hoping for when I handed over my money - is relegated to blu-ray only. Unless I'm missing something.
    Yes...there does seem to be alot that is Blu-ray only...more so than I would like.

That said...I'm happy there is not that much overlap with the KCCC discs from this time period, so barring disaster, I'll be buying.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    The problem is storage. Even dual layered DVDs can handle only 8Gb. A dual layer
    Blu Ray? 50Gb. If they were to use DVDs for the 22 live shows included, they’d likely have to add another 5 DVDs to the box, which would only make it that much more expensive.

Given you can pick up a decent Blu Ray player (while I’ve a high end player in our living room, just bought a good WiFi-capable one for our bedroom for $89) inexpensively, with all due respect I don’t get why those who complain about Crimson (and others) increasingly using BR over DVD - who are prepared to pay, accumulative,y, hundreds if not thousands of dollars on these box sets - don’t bite a pretty inexpensive bullet and pick up a cheap BR player...

Honestly, no disrespect intended, but I just don’t get it....???
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    The problem is storage. Even dual layered DVDs can handle only 8Gb. A dual layer
    Blu Ray? 50Gb. If they were to use DVDs for the 22 live shows included, they’d likely have to add another 5 DVDs to the box, which would only make it that much more expensive.

Given you can pick up a decent Blu Ray player (while I’ve a high end player in our living room, just bought a good WiFi-capable one for our bedroom for $89) inexpensively, with all due respect I don’t get why those who complain about Crimson (and others) increasingly using BR over DVD - who are prepared to pay, accumulative,y, hundreds if not thousands of dollars on these box sets - don’t bite a pretty inexpensive bullet and pick up a cheap BR player...

Bluray just makes mobile difficult for me. Yes - I can rip it down to a format that I can use but just popping a bluray in the car for instance... my only issue really. DVD doesnt interest me for the same reason. I guess I have no time for sitting in the house and listening like I WANT to do. Ugh.

..to FrankH -

Yes - Please tell your tale!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

No disrespect here either, but you're not getting it because you're starting from a assumption that I don't have or understand blu ray technology.

My problem is that the music is not easily consumed thru normal music consumption methods, not that it's on blu ray rather than DVD. I can't stick a blu ray disc in my computer and rip the tracks to mp3 and put them on my iPod thru standard methods. Ripping and converting audio from a DVD is enough of a pain in the ass. I have no way of ripping blu ray discs, nor should I be expected to.

And with respect to those who do have the time, I don't often have the time to sit in my living room in front of my TV listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Bluray just makes mobile difficult for me. Yes - I can rip it down to a format that I can use but just popping a bluray in the car for instance... my only issue really. DVD doesnt interest me for the same reason. I guess I have no time for sitting in the house and listening like I WANT to do. Ugh.
    Oops you already said all this. I should've read the whole thread before responding.