Thread: Wicked twisters kill over 50 near OKC

Wicked twisters kill over 50 near OKC

Jesus F. Christ
    Possibly the strongest tornado ever to hit the midwest. The videos, and there are plenty, of the monster winds and destruction are amazing. Hope no one here is affected.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Condolences to all who are suffering through this.
    Last edited by Reach; 05-21-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Oklahoma is a ticking bomb...I lived in Northern Texas for 16 years and we have had our shares of tornadoes but nothing like Oklahoma. They are hammered every single year with multiple tornadoes and it is game of chance whether the big one hits populated area . This time the tornedoes dropped right on their heads. It is the terrible tragedy but not unexpected.

That brings up the question. Why the frock those people in Midwest do not build the basements or at least some sort of underground shelters particularly for schools and common areas?

Really haven't followed this too closely, as it's just too heartbreaking, but did I hear that yesterday's twister was 2 miles wide?!!

I can't imagine the horror...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    That brings up the question. Why the frock those people in Midwest do not build the basements or at least some sort of underground shelters particularly for schools and common areas?
    Certain areas, like the Delta, are too wet for basements. That being said, I can't imagine Oklahoma has that problem.

Certainly tragic any way you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Really haven't followed this too closely, as it's just too heartbreaking, but did I hear that yesterday's twister was 2 miles wide?!!

I can't imagine the horror...
    One mile wide. Still quite horrific.
    Good (?) news - death toll down to 24; 7 kids.
    Today's tornadic activity could affect
    as many as 9.5 million residents.
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

I understand in that part of OK, the water table is only a couple feet down. Therefore, no basements. Supposedly your best bet is a shelter surrounded by earth berms and maybe we'll be seeing more of that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They have lowered the number of dead to 24, 9 being children. Still bad, but a bit better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They have lowered the number of dead to 24, 9 being children. Still bad, but a bit better.
    For 12 hours nearly every source has said 51 dead, and now it's downgraded to 24? How does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    brings the tears to your eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    For nearly 12 hours nearly every source has said 51 dead, and now it's downgraded to 24? How does that happen?
    it could be double counting...one person counted bodies at the site and other while they were bringing them to the hospital...there is lot of confussion in the situation like this...

Kevin Durant of the OKC Thunder just pledged to donate $1M.

Kudos.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    For 12 hours nearly every source has said 51 dead, and now it's downgraded to 24? How does that happen?
    The Boston bombing was initially reported as 12 dead, it happens. I'd much rather have them lowering the number, so this is at least a bit of good news in a very sad situation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    The Boston bombing was initially reported as 12 dead, it happens. I'd much rather have them lowering the number, so this is at least a bit of good news in a very sad situation.
    Well, obviously. It's not like I'm sitting here wishing for a higher death count. I'm just addressing the inconsistency and inaccuracy of reporting. IIRC, there were many criticisms here of how the Boston bombing was reported by the media. It's only an observation.

It was double-counting, as suggested. It wasn't the media being irresponsible, like the NY Post was with Boston, by ignoring all other reports.

But, then again, is the Post really news, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It was double-counting, as suggested. It wasn't the media being irresponsible, like the NY Post was with Boston, by ignoring all other reports.

But, then again, is the Post really news, anyway?
    The NY Post was bad with that, but they were hardly the only ones. The media dropping the ball with major news stories is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    The NY Post was bad with that, but they were hardly the only ones. The media dropping the ball with major news stories is nothing new.
    The NY Post was pretty much alone in continuing to misreport the number of deaths for a long long time after all the other news outlets were reporting otherwise. Even the following day, they tried to back-pedal instead of taking any responsibility.

They ran a picture of an innocent men and labeled them as "bag men," which is slang for people who commit crimes on behalf others.

They reported that a Saudi national was being questioned, when he wasn't being held at all, according to the same police they cited as a source.

As bad as media coverage can be, they were a virtual anomaly during that incident. (Although, CNN ran a close second.) They were despicably sensationalist and their actions were indefensible.

There used to be a time when the media was concerned about being right first. Now, it's all about just being first.