Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andrew Latimer to play on new Nathan Mahl cd Justify!!

Nathan Mahl
    Yes, well, he is the one playing it :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    An Andy Latimer approved solo?

I hope he is the one playing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Mahl View Post
    Yes, well, he is the one playing it :-).
    Bully!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I pulled the Nathan Mahl CD Heretik Pt. I out pretty much at random yesterday while rooting around in a box of CDs. Had a listen to the first few tracks on the drive to work this morning, and was loving it. I have to admit that while I dutifully bought all the Nathan Mahl stuff as it came out, I didn't keep up with listening to all the Heretik CDs. I'm sure I listened to the first one a couple of times, but it's been so long that it might as well be new.

But it's got a nice bit of a patina to it now that some time has passed, and it almost sounds vintage. Taking the vocals and music into account, the formula I came up with is that it sounds sort of like if you put Minimum Vital, Camel, and VDGG into a blender. A nice brew indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I'm no Camel fan, but Latimer can really play
    I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I bought a "best of" set in the late 90's and was totally underwhelmed by them.
    Same here, it was a double CD called "Echoes." I tried to like it; listened to it 4 times before I said, "nah." I liked Latimer's playing a lot, but the music was kind of "prog-lite" to me (and I got lambasted for saying that here several years ago). We can't help but like what we like and dislike what we don't.

I had a Nathan Mahl album (something with "Shadows") that I was lukewarm with, but I have a Guy LeBlanc album called "Subversia" that I liked a lot, so I'm interested in hearing this upcoming release.

Camel definitely has a mellow edge to it (the same that a lot of other Canterbury stuff has - especially Caravan) so it's not for everyone, I guess. I love that mellow edge, personally.

BTW, anyone know if any of the recent live Camel shows have appeared on places like Dime, etc.? I say this even though Guy is on PE, because we will all surely purchase any live shows they see fit to release!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Camel definitely has a mellow edge to it
    Yeah, I found a lot of it to be kind of "pretty," but there wasn't much contrast to that. Frank Zappa once said something along the lines of that music with no dissonance is like watching a movie where there's only good guys. Camel's stuff struck me like that. The tunes I liked best sounded a bit like Genesis, but not as potent. Oh well, sorry, Camel fans!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Yeah, I found a lot of it to be kind of "pretty," but there wasn't much contrast to that. Frank Zappa once said something along the lines of that music with no dissonance is like watching a movie where there's only good guys. Camel's stuff struck me like that. The tunes I liked best sounded a bit like Genesis, but not as potent. Oh well, sorry, Camel fans!
    I agree in general -- not many minor chords in Camel songs. But if you dig into their earliest music you'll find stuff with a bit more edge. To whit...

In general I think the psych element in the Mirage album served them really well and I was sorry to see it go. But it's just not who they were. The fusion thing happening in Moonmadness and Raindances was more natural for them, but even that disappeared with Bardens' and Sinclair's departures. The Stationary Traveller album is surprisingly dark, but the 80s was not a good time to be dabbling in darkness.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

Same here, it was a double CD called "Echoes." I tried to like it; listened to it 4 times before I said, "nah." I liked Latimer's playing a lot, but the music was kind of "prog-lite" to me (and I got lambasted for saying that here several years ago). We can't help but like what we like and dislike what we don't.

I had a Nathan Mahl album (something with "Shadows") that I was lukewarm with, but I have a Guy LeBlanc album called "Subversia" that I liked a lot, so I'm interested in hearing this upcoming release.
    Wow, our experiences with Camel were EXACTLY the same, right down to the "prog-lite" description, and yes, it was the Echoes set.

Not the same with Nathan Mahl though, as I love "Clever Use of Shadows", my favorite of theirs. And I like the most recent one, "Exodus". Can't think of another band doing an album to the story of Moses, pretty interesting.

That's ok - it just leaves more Camel for the rest of us!

I actually do think there's enough dissonance in Camel - I think it comes mainly from Latimer's use of the tremolo. Ok, not a lot, but there's a little dirtiness in the guitar sometimes. But overall I guess it's very English sounding and not very harsh.

It's all about emotion, feeling and atmosphere really. Just what music is to me. Love Camel! And Nathan Mahl too!
    Last edited by Hour Candle; 01-31-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Nathan Mahl
    Speaking of which...

Nathan Mahl's Justify is finally in pre-order mode. Secure your signed copy by going to http://www.unicorndigital.net/#!pres...than-mahl/cspz .
    Official release date of the disc is June 1st, 2014.

GL

Bully again.

Apparently Guy had been asking him for years. Finally, one day, Andy said to Guy: "Maybe I should reconsider...some of your demands".
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

As much as I like and respect Latimer, I seriously don't think Camel ever created anything as uniformly fabulous as Nathan Mahl's Clever Use of Shadows, which for my money was one of the finest "symph fusion" albums of the past 15-20 years. What a pity that the original version remains in the dark - and what a wonder that I got it on release.

Did Nathan Mahl release anything at all past the Heretik trilogy (which I also enjoy)?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I don't think Guy released anything on par with "Clever Use Of Shadows", so the short answer to your query is "no".
    Last edited by Yves; 05-08-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Mahl View Post
    Speaking of which...

Nathan Mahl's Justify is finally in pre-order mode. Secure your signed copy by going to http://www.unicorndigital.net/#!pres...than-mahl/cspz .
    Official release date of the disc is June 1st, 2014.

GL
    Formidable!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As much as I like and respect Latimer, I seriously don't think Camel ever created anything as uniformly fabulous as Nathan Mahl's Clever Use of Shadows, which for my money was one of the finest "symph fusion" albums of the past 15-20 years. What a pity that the original version remains in the dark - and what a wonder that I got it on release.

Did Nathan Mahl release anything at all past the Heretik trilogy (which I also enjoy)?
    I got me a cd of The Clever Use Of Shadows and I love it. I also have Parallel Eccentricities,Shadows Unbound,Live at Nearfest 1999 and Exodus.

Nathan Mahl
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

After the HERETIK trilogy, I re-did the Shadows album with the original line-up of the band (2003), and then Exodus in 2008.
    And now the new one Justify. You can hear samples of it on the Unicorn Digital website.

Cheers,
    Guy L