Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Ray Manzarek

RIP Ray Manzarek

Copy-paste off the Doors' FB page:

Ray Manzarek, Founding Member of The Doors, Passes Away at 74

Ray Manzarek, keyboardist and founding member of The Doors, passed away today at 12:31PM PT at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer. He was 74. At the time of his passing, he was surrounded by his wife Dorothy Manzarek, and his brothers Rick and James Manczarek.

Manzarek is best known for his work with The Doors who formed in 1965 when Manzarek had a chance encounter on Venice Beach with poet Jim Morrison. The Doors went on to become one of the most controversial rock acts of the 1960s, selling more than 100-million albums worldwide, and receiving 19 Gold, 14 Platinum and five multi-Platinum albums in the U.S. alone. "L.A.Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire" were just some of the band's iconic and ground-breaking songs. After Morrison's death in 1971, Manzarek went on to become a best-selling author, and a Grammy-nominated recording artist in his own right. In 2002, he revitalized his touring career with Doors' guitarist and long-time collaborator, Robby Krieger.

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," said Krieger. "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

Manzarek is survived by his wife Dorothy, brothers Rick and James Manczarek, son Pablo Manzarek, Pablo's wife Sharmin and their three children Noah, Apollo and Camille. Funeral arrangements are pending. The family asks that their privacy be respected at this difficult time. In lieu of flowers, please make a memoriam donation in Ray Manzarek's name at www.standup2cancer.org

R.I.P Ray Manzarek

from fb: "Ray Manzarek, Founding Member of The Doors, Passes Away at 74

Ray Manzarek, keyboardist and founding member of The Doors, passed away today at 12:31PM PT at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer. He was 74. At the time of his passing, he was surrounded by his wife Dorothy Manzarek, and his brothers Rick and James Manczarek."

Feeling older and sad about this. RIP

This is the end, beautiful friend.

That's terrible. I'm only a passing fan of the Doors' more accessible stuff, but his keys were really well done. On top of that, I always admired someone who basically covered keys AND bass in live concerts. Rest in peace.

RIP

RIP to the architect of the Doors sound. One of the more intelligent and articulate members of the California counterculture.

Every time a 60s musician dies, I reflect on my own mortality.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Today is a sad day.

Thanks for the music Ray.

RIP Ray Manzarek.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Probably one of the first lead keyboard players in rock. RIP Ray.

Didn't even know he was ill. Very sad news indeed.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sad to hear. Rest in peace, Ray. You are missed.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Not really a Doors fan at all, but always respected Mr. Manzarek.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    One of the more intelligent and articulate members of the California counterculture.
    Absolutely.

R.I.P.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sad day.... RIP.
    Prog Rocket – An Exploration of Progressive Rock Music

Banned
    "The only thing that ultimately matters is to eat an ice-cream cone, play a slide trombone, plant a small tree, good God, now you're free." - Ray Manzarek

WOW! I had no idea he was ill.

Truly a loss. Really sad.

Ray Manzarek Dies at 74 Years old

Didnt see this posted anywhere. Ray died in Germany today of bile duct cancer at the age of 74. Im seriously bummed, he was one cool hippy-dippy guy. I had gone out to see him play quite a few times in recent years, he was reasonably active the last 10 years. He still radiated that laid back 60's vibe. Seemed like a great guy, was a fun story teller. Fantastic on the keys. RIP Ray.

wow, sorry to hear that - yeah. he was a really nice guy and a wonderful musician as well.

74, eh? too young, definitely. what was the cause? do you know?

rest in peace, Ray.

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

ain't that the truth - oy.

another great one busts the move....

off to the whiskey bar in the sky - safe journeys Ray!

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Banned
    davis-

When I heard the news of Ray's passing, I immediately thought of you because of your love of The Doors. As Ray would probably say, "Peace, man."

Sad to read this. I loved that iconic band, and what Ray brought to it.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The sun is truly setting on an era.

I loved those slinky grooves he brought to The Doors.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The sun is truly setting on an era.

I loved those slinky grooves he brought to The Doors.
    yep.

Kind of a strange coincidence as my latest amazon order arrived today with the "live at the bowl" blu-ray. With this very sad news I will definitely be thinking a little more about Ray while viewing it.

He's probably talking to Jim already. There is music in Heaven because that's where it originated man.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    RIP
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)