Thread: June Tabor - Quercus

June Tabor - Quercus

This is wonderful.

I've got reservations about some ECM stuff that takes on English/Scottish folk - the Robin Williamson disc was not very good, IMO - so I wasn't sure what to expect.

But I buy everything June does and Huw Warren works regularly with her. Iain Ballamy has also guested on her other albums and I really like Food so I had high hopes.

It's a live disc - a perfect way to hear her - and just go and buy it.

While there, if you haven't heard June, get Ashore and An Echo of Hooves. Thank me later.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Great record, my review is in the queue to run in the week leading up to US street.

I saw the group in 2007 at Punkt, and have been waiting for a record ever since.

And if you like June, Abyssinians is the darkest record I've ever heard...but oh, so beautiful...

BTW, which Williamson disc are you referring to Oreb, he did three...

The Iron Stone, John. Haven't heard the others.

I forgot Abyssinians. You're right: it's tremendous.

btw, I had a forlorn attempt at starting a thread about the new Ketil Bjornstad album (currently heading toward the bottom of the page ). I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    The Iron Stone, John. Haven't heard the others.

I forgot Abyssinians. You're right: it's tremendous.

btw, I had a forlorn attempt at starting a thread about the new Ketil Bjornstad album (currently heading toward the bottom of the page ). I'd be interested in your thoughts.
    Oh, I very much liked iron stone...but it's a lot different from Quercus...much freer and left-of-center,

I was at the show where the new Bjørnstad's was recorded and loved it. I cannot review the cd because ECM bought 11 photos from me for the liners....all photos with the exception of the cover and Ketil's portrait are mine. Obviously if I am paid for work on a record, like liners or photos, I cannot review.

But I loved the group and felt it was the only music I'd ever heard from Ketil that I could describe as, at least in part, hot.

Hope this helps.
    John