Thread: Playlists - the equivalent of a mix tape

Playlists - the equivalent of a mix tape

For decades I made mix tapes for friends, girlfriends, my wife. And then of course came the burning of CDs. But starting with my first computer in the late 90s and now to my new iPad, my creative focus has been playlists. I first started with the old RealPlayer. At times it was like I spent more time making playlists than actually listening to music. Back when I worked at a publishing company I bet I had a hundred playlists on my system. And I still get the occasional order from my wife to set one up on her Nano, or her PC, or her iPhone. And damn, it's the only thing that gives me that little thrill I used to get setting up the perfect mix tape. Anyone else obsessed with these things? I doubt if I'm the only one.

And here's 10 reasons why we love lists:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=101056819
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

No, I've done the same for years - made mixtapes for friends and girlfriends, etc. And now have a bunch of playlists and Pandora stations to fit every mood or occasion.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I never made mixtapes or CDs for anybody except for one of my brothers because nobody else that I know has musical taste that's even remotely (good/like mine).

I have a lot of Playlists too. And yes, before digital music I used to love making mix tapes for friends. Sometimes you can target a person who doesn't like prog with some sneaky catchy prog songs that aren't too long.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've been using an MP3 player since 2003 when the Archos Jukebox 6000 came out, but I've never made a playlist. I prefer to listen to complete albums.

The Archos Jukebox 6000 looked more like some kind of timebomb than anything else, and I was always worried someone was going to tackle me on the subway, thinking I was about to detonate it when I was just turning it on or whatever.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Heh.

I had my eye on one of those Archos players for a while, but I ended up receiving one of these as a gift instead:

20031015_nomandnew_01.jpg

I also have one of these:
    12-9-07-colossal.jpg

It's the only MP3 player I've ever seen with a kickstand.