Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why the recent obsession with UK?

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I've got less faith in him when it comes to actually completing and releasing anything.

Henry
    I can hardly wait for the inevitable Eddie Jobson/Jon Anderson project!

(kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'd say the instrumental sections of Carrying No Cross did come close...

THey came closer still wheh Bruford and Holdsworth played them...though of course, those were different (and more interesting) instrumental sections.

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    I can hardly wait for the inevitable Eddie Jobson/Jon Anderson project!

(kidding)
    Jobson has already mooted the collaboration. (Not kidding.)

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    He bass tone in KC still blows me away. It sounds like he's chopping away at the air with a twenty-pound axe!
    Much to David Cross's and Alan Holdsworth's chagrin, according to Bruford's autobiography. Personally, I think Tony Levin is probably the most talented bassist in the prog genre, but I love Wetton's frontal assaults with the Mighty Crim as well as with U.K.

I think it is more buzz by the fan boys than general support...the best of thier effort, "U.K." album is ranked approx as 2,450th all times in Gnosis2000; ProgArchives does not list it in their top 250 albums either
    Well, by Golly, that settles it! According to the experts at Gnosis, the debut album is behind 2,449 other albums. Makes me wonder why I wasted so much time wearing out my vinyl and CDs of it...

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    \

This is a perfect example of "to each his own". I prefer the 3 piece versions of those songs to anything I've heard on boots of the 4 piece. In fact, I prefer the 3 piece overall compared to the 4 piece. I thought 3 piece UK, and Bruford (the band) were more focused, whereas the original UK seemed like it was fighting against itself at times.
    I agree, not so much with the studio album, but on the Live in Boston album, Holdsy simply seems out of place and badly mixed. While I think Carrying No Cross is very interesting on the live album, it is tighter, more sinister and powerful on Danger Money.

And the only real similarity to ELP is the instrumentation.
    I have to smile at this, being that the instrumentation constitutes 80% of the music for both bands, and when you factor in the similarity between John's and Greg's voices, it is largely a complete match. Danger Money would fit well as a strong followup to Brain Salad Surgery if ELP did it, stronger than anything ELP did afterwards. Carrying No Cross, as a prog epic, sounds to me like a virtual salute to ELP's sound.

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    I agree, not so much with the studio album, but on the Live in Boston album, Holdsy simply seems out of place and badly mixed. While I think Carrying No Cross is very interesting on the live album, it is tighter, more sinister and powerful on Danger Money.

I have to smile at this, being that the instrumentation constitutes 80% of the music for both bands, and when you factor in the similarity between John's and Greg's voices, it is largely a complete match. Danger Money would fit well as a strong followup to Brain Salad Surgery if ELP did it, stronger than anything ELP did afterwards. Carrying No Cross, as a prog epic, sounds to me like a virtual salute to ELP's sound.
    I like Carrying no Cross but Pirates slaughters it!

Much to David Cross's and Alan Holdsworth's chagrin, according to Bruford's autobiography. Personally, I think Tony Levin is probably the most talented bassist in the prog genre, but I love Wetton's frontal assaults with the Mighty Crim as well as with U.K.

Well, by Golly, that settles it! According to the experts at Gnosis, the debut album is behind 2,449 other albums. Makes me wonder why I wasted so much time wearing out my vinyl and CDs of it...
    What's this thing with Gnosis, its been debated & concluded before that it's ratings are unreliable & a load of shite, yet one certain poster keeps referring to it as if its the bible. Unbeleivable!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I like Carrying no Cross but Pirates slaughters it!
    If by "slaughter" you mean "minces around in a flamboyant yet non-threatening fashion" I agree with you

Yes, I too have always preferred 'Danger Money'. The debut is more hit-and-miss...'fighting among themselves' is a good description. It has more good songs than bad, but there's a few tracks on there which are too vague and sketchy for this particular style of music. Now, I enjoy both 'Danger Money' *and* the two Bruford albums of the late 70s, so I think the original line-up worked better apart than together.

'Danger Money', and 'Alaska' from the debut, is indeed the sort of sound I think ELP really should have pursued in the late 70s- tighter, yet without losing musical sophistication. The only song on 'Danger Money' which falls flat to me is 'Nothing To Lose'- I think John Wetton wrote better songs in this style with Geoff Downes and Steve Howe for Asia's debut, on here it doesn't really fit stylistically.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-08-2014 at 10:35 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    What's this thing with Gnosis, its been debated & concluded before that it's ratings are unreliable & a load of shite, yet one certain poster keeps referring to it as if its the bible. Unbeleivable!
    Maybe for your tastes but for those of a Avant - Zeuhl - Experimental persuasion it's a very reliable resource. It doesn't pretend to be anything else. It's not RYM and it's not PA. You'll see significantly different results on both those site. I use it all the time and find it extremely useful.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    $28 martinis
    I was a member for two years, but didn't renew a month or so ago. I wouldn't have minded paying the money if I had felt that I actually got something for the money. For the most part, there is no content which is a shame because I have a feeling that Jobson has plenty of unreleased material he could make available to members. I get that Jobdon is way over protective of that kind of thing, but paying $28.00 for the chance to buy tickets to shows in Japan early and a few exclusive blogs just wasn't worth it for me at least. His blogs were interesting, but also few and far between. If he started really investing in the product, I would definitely re-join. A good example of how it is done right is Neal Morse's Inner Circle. There is a cost, but you actually get music as well as exclusive information regularly. Some of the CDs or DVDs that you receive are meh, but others are quite good. The bottom line is that Neal is vested in it and actually attempts and succeeds in making it a quality product. Not so much with the Zealots Lounge, which is a shame. I wish it was great because I think Eddie is an amazingly talented artist, but perhaps not as good of a business man. To make matters worse, he keeps promising exclusive music and content to Zealots Lounge members that never actually materializes. Eddie seems like a good guy and the lounge could be awesome if there was just more to it. Hopefully, he starts adding more material and I will gladly rejoin.
    Last edited by Patelena396; 02-08-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Jobson has already mooted the collaboration. (Not kidding.)

Henry
    Well, I expect that will be finished and released around......never.

I think 2449 is much too high.

I like all the UK albums, but Danger Money is my favourite. When I bought it around the time it was released, it would be fair to say I was obsessed with the album for the catchiness of the songs and the dynamism of the playing. Sometimes, when you love something, it doesn't bear analysis.

On the subject of Allan Holdsworth, I would like to hear the Tempest album with him and Ollie Halsall together, Live in London 1974. It seems to be very rare though.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I think 2449 is much too high.
    Well, that's OK. There are many out there that think Metal Machine Music is a classic and groove to the beat of Revolution 9....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    On the subject of Allan Holdsworth, I would like to hear the Tempest album with him and Ollie Halsall together, Live in London 1974. It seems to be very rare though.
    If there is a version of this performance called "Live In London 1974", then it's clearly a bootleg, since any recording featuring them together would have to be from 1973, not 1974.

The truth, as reported on the Tempest Wikipedia page -

"n 2007, a double cd anthology was released entitled, Under the Blossom which featured remastered editions of the 2 studio albums, plus 2 previously unreleased bonus tracks. It also included the famous 1973 BBC live recording of a concert in Golders Green, which featured both guitarists Allan Holdsworth and Ollie Halsall."

I have this compilation. I bought it when it was first released. Has it been deleted and become rare ? I don't know. But it was once very easy to find. (And official.)
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

My knowledge of Live in London 1974 (or '74) is that it is from an Italian label called Microphone and is indeed a version of the BBC Radio 1 In Concert from Golders' Green. I wasn't aware of Under the Blossom, so thanks for letting me know - I'll look for the compilation/anthology instead.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09