Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst Genesis clone

[QUOTE=JIF;100756][QUOTE=Scrotum Scissor;100673]
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I think that IQ sounded only a little bit like Genesis. I like that they added some punk influence to their prog
    Hm. The singer sure as hell sounds as if the tiniest accent or timbre is directed at a given vocal effect mimicking someone else in particular. This being said, the admitted "post-punk" influence and somewhat stripped-down palette (much of it recorded live in the studio, AFAIK) is what appeals to me as well. Of course, Twelfth Night did the latter even more up fron on their debut.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    And Manakin may have left only one vid, but it is the stuff of LEGENDS.
    It's a holy document.

IMO neither Marillion or IQ sounds like Genesis. I certainly hear more differences than similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    Deyss
    Genesis copied what Deyss was going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    IMO the worst Genesis clone would have to be Rebecca Black. She's terrible - sounds nothing like them! "Friday" does not sound ANYTHING like Supper's Ready.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I kinda like Babylon, but I think the Neuschwanstein album is a tad tedious. Never liked Kyrie Eleison.
    I agree. I also like Babylon quite a bit. They have a sort of "audacity" that I find charming. I also agree about Neuschwanstein being a little tedious, though in all the years I've owned it I've never had the heart to get rid of it. For me, it's good enough to keep, but not good enough to love. I thought Kyrie Eleison totally sucked and I ditched with alacrity.

Quite good Genesis clone: Isopoda (first album) from the 70s Belgium.
    Never heard this one, I'll look it up.

I'd say Marillion's debut came close to qualifying. They started finding their own thing after that.

There's probably a lot more Genesis clones that I haven't heard than ones that I have, but amongst the ones I'm familiar with, I'd say Citizen Cain. I got rid of "Somewhere But Yesterday" after two listens.
    I'm about where you are with CK. For me, it wasn't just that they sounded like Genesis, but that their music just didn't quite "take off," particularly instrumentally.

With Marillion, I'm forever biased because the first time I hear/saw them was opening for Rush, and they *LOOKED* like they wanted to be Genesis. Personally, I also heard a lot of Genesis influence in their music, particularly the first two. And like Ernie, the more they got their "own voice," the less I liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    The term "Genesis clone" is a misnomer. There have only been moments of songs where I've thought, "My God! Is this some Genesis song I've never heard before"? For the most part, the alleged Genesis clones are so lacking in the area of composition that it's an insult to even consider them clones. Unless a clone has the writing and arranging chops of Tony Banks, it's not going to sound like Genesis in the least.
    Yeah, something like this usually comes up when discussing "clone" bands, and to an extent you are right. But I also think that bands like Babylon, Neuschwanstein, Kyrie Eleison, Citizen Cain, The Watch, and a host of others orient themselves around a Genesis-like sound enough that the general resemblance is unmistakable. "Clone" may be taking it too far, but really that's just shorthand for "really strong resemblance," which I think is very fair for most of these groups - and even a selling point that the bands themselves often stress. Many of these bands do bring something new to the table, and many who refer to them as "clones," myself included, like what they do. So taken in the right spirit and recognizing some inherent inaccuracy, I think calling certain bands "clones" is justified.

Another to consider in the "worst of" category might be Ivory. Personally, I think their music is fairly good at times, but the vocals are often cringe-worthy. Like Neuschwanstein, Ivory is another I've kept, but will never really love. Another I had a long time ago was Galadriel, Muttered Promises from and Endless Album, or something like that, which I remember really disliking and having some Genesis similarities. And while I know that many here like them, I can't stand Unifaun, perhaps a case where the term "clone" truly does apply, and where imo the original has so much more substance than the (carbon) copy. YMMV.

Bill

It's so awesome when people start threads for the sole purpose of saying how bands suck. And by the way, what's up with anal probes . . .
    The Mighty Megalosaurus
    Tree Pusher, WESAYSO Corp.

Always thought the Babylon album's title ought to have been "one-two-one-two-one-two-three; one-two-one-two-one-two-three".

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Never heard this one, I'll look it up.
    Beware: I found Acrostichon to be very boring: a total snooze. They aren’t a complete clone of Genesis but there’s simply no spark or inspiration to their music. Very bland. I ditched it and do not regret it (also note that Muséa’s “professional” cover art is much worse than the original cover!).

Another to consider in the "worst of" category might be Ivory. Personally, I think their music is fairly good at times, but the vocals are often cringe-worthy. Like Neuschwanstein, Ivory is another I've kept, but will never really love.
    I have a soft spot for the Ivory album. Yes, it can be a tad cheesy and yes, the bonus tracks suck and yes, schlockmeister Ralph Siegel is the reason this record exists at all but I still rather enjoy it. I seem to be the only one who does not loathe Sad Cypress with a passion, file alongside Epidermis’ Genius of Original Force, then.

Another I had a long time ago was Galadriel, Muttered Promises from and Endless Album, or something like that, which I remember really disliking and having some Genesis similarities.
    More of a Yes-clone than a Genesis-clone. The Brazilian group Grandbell did a better job at what Galadriel were trying to do, IMO.

Incidentally, I sold both Citizen Cain CDs that I owned, and do not regret the decision. And I have yet to hear anything by The Watch that has convinced me I need to own one of their albums.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:nothing

Grendel could be called a clone but Script while it has some Genesis influences has a unique magic of its own. Peter Hammill influence is apparent too.
    At the time I remember thinking that Peter Nichols on IQ's Tales sounded very much like Peter Gabriel. Now I've loved IQ for so many years that he just sounds like Peter Nichols.

well, it’s not BAD or WORST, but it's just so ... blatant. THE WATCH are well respected as a GENESiS tribute band, but they could at least ditch some of the genesisms for their own original stuff... easier said than done, of course. i still like it for what it is, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I seem to be the only one who does not loathe Sad Cypress with a passion,
    Nah, I like 'Sad Cypress,' and I like the Neuschwanstein even more. Probably both 3.5 on the RYM scale, though the Neuschwanstein would be more like a 3.75 if they broke it down that fine. I wasn't aware of the low regard in which these are held, but we didn't move in the same circles. The Germans whom I was corresponding with in the late 80s/early 90s thought well of them.

The Galadriel has way too much piano to be considered a clone of any of the Big 6, but we seem to be using the term pretty loosely in this thread anyway.

I also like the first Isopoda, but not as much as Flyte, which is plowing the same field.

I'm not really into the worst stuff, but how about:
    Dimmornas Bro
    Anabis (at least their debut)

Strangely enough, Tommy of "VintageProg.com", whose opinions I ususally respect, rates KyrieEleson as one of the BEST Genesis clones. When I've got a spare 40 mins I must hurry over to YouTube to judge for myself !

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I'm not really into the worst stuff,
    What's wrong with you that you can't enjoy bad Genesis clone music? It's one of the great pleasures of being a prog fan.

I imagine that'll bring a lot of frowns around here, but since you broke the ice, I have to admit, I'm in the same boat. I actually liked them best when they were a Genesis clone.
    I agree... I loved Script, but it's where Marillion was almost at their "cloniest" (though some of their pre-debut stuff is very cloned as well), but once they stepped away from the Genesis-realm (after Script), I found I didn't really like them... whether with Fish or with Hogarth

Funny thing is that Marillion (both eras) is one of the most cloned band.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I like the Neuschwanstein even more. Probably both 3.5 on the RYM scale, though the Neuschwanstein would be more like a 3.75 if they broke it down that fine. I wasn't aware of the low regard in which these are held,
    I'm actually liking them the more I listen. I still don't think much of the vocals but the music overall improves upon repeated listening.

I imagine that'll bring a lot of frowns around here, but since you broke the ice, I have to admit, I'm in the same boat. I actually liked them best when they were a Genesis clone.
    Yep. Never saw what the big deal was with this band. Not very original. I pretty much stopped paying attention after '87.

The thing with supposed 'clones' of Genesis is that all of them only sound like one of the many, many sides to Genesis. 'The Watch' is probably the closest by far to the Genesis sound, but still only really sounds like 'Get Em Out'/'Musical Box' era pretty much. Their own compositions to me don't ever sound like anything post-Foxtrot. Twin Age sounds often like 'Robbery, Assault & Battery's' instrumental section, but their vocalist sounds more like the singer of 'The Cure' than any Genesis singer. I'll throw myself under the bus as well and we may touch on the 'One For The Vine'/'Mad Man Moon' sound on occasion (but only 'cause no one else is ) You never have a band that can have songs like 'Blood On The Rooftops' AND 'In That Quiet Earth'. In fact, no one does songs like 'Blood On The Rooftops' that I know of. If anyone knows of anyone that does, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's wrong with you that you can't enjoy bad Genesis clone music? It's one of the great pleasures of being a prog fan.

I can enjoy clone music. I'm just not much in calling anything the worst clone. I like Neuschwanstein and the two groups I mentioned. Some other clones I like less, if I've heard them, but calling something the worst? Not me, thank you sir.

I can enjoy clone music. I'm just not much in calling anything the worst clone. I like Neuschwanstein and the two groups I mentioned. Some other clones I like less, if I've heard them, but calling something the worst? Not me, thank you sir.
    Good points. Who really is so almighty they can assert something as 'the worst', anyway?

Got it!

Dimmornas Bro
    I like their first album (as well as their native compatriots Autumn Breeze, Miklagård and Horizont) far better than any of the Kaipa records. But one misses out when unable to understand the (sometimes hilarious) Swedish lyrics.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I like their first album (as well as their native compatriots Autumn Breeze, Miklagård and Horizont) far better than any of the Kaipa records. But one misses out when unable to understand the (sometimes hilarious) Swedish lyrics.
    I only have the second Dimornas Bro album. Yes, the lyrics are in Swedish which makes them hard to understand, but I think I understand a little bit.
    I have some other Swedish artists singing in their native language as well, like Johann Lindell and Stadion. Did Fläsket Brinner sing ing Swedish?

I would put BBT in this category. First we had the Selling England bt the Pound remake and now we have something that resembles Mike and the Mechanics.