Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is Steven Wilson becoming Uncle Frank...

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Are you always a douchebag?
    I think Sonic is entitled to his opinion and say it, whithout risking being called 'always a douchebag'.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Are you always a douchebag?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I don't think he's being a douchebag (although the "publicist" comment might have been a little smug). I'm not really a Wilson fan either (I've heard three PT albums and the previous SW one and didn't care for any of them), but this thread got me checking out "the Raven" on YouTube as well. Listened to half of it last night and plan to listen to the rest today. I like it! I think the great playing is what I like most about it (being a big jazz and fusion fan), but there were things I liked about the writing too. Heck, we ALL have different tastes; no reason to get salty with each other because of that.
    Thank you. I don't know what sparked that comment. I was being serious (yes, a little smug —but I like to think of it as humor). I truly have been checking out Wilson's music due to this thread. But I guess some people just can't take a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Very true about Joni and James, though (and I'm a big fan of both), it's still different than Wilson & Zappa; the music they write/wrote isn't exactly complex, so they could hire lesser musicians who would be able to play it
    I get your point, John, but I take exception to your statement that Joni's music isn't exactly complex. Somewhat related, check how "Deform To Form A Star" suggests a certain debt to Court and Spark-era Joni.

I also continue to bristle at suggestions that less-technically proficient musicians are "lesser musicians" (not just your words but also from others on this board.) I'd equate the latter to those players that have no sense of feeling for the music they play.

Quote Originally Posted by skysaw View Post
    I'd equate the latter to those players that have no sense of feeling for the music they play.
    Who makes that determination?
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Who makes that determination?
    The listener. Always.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I get your point, John, but I take exception to your statement that Joni's music isn't exactly complex. Somewhat related, check how "Deform To Form A Star" suggests a certain debt to Court and Spark-era Joni.
    That's not meant as disrespect; you'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger Joni fan than yours truly. Joni's weird tunings give her songs a very distinctive feel and harmonic voice, but I'm talking about episodic writing with mixed meters, that kinda stuff. Not saying Joni's music is easy, but it's a different kind of complex, if that makes any sense,.

I also continue to bristle at suggestions that less-technically proficient musicians are "lesser musicians" (not just your words but also from others on this board.) I'd equate the latter to those players that have no sense of feeling for the music they play.
    Just to be clear,I also don't mean to imply that. I'd much rather listen to Robert Johnson than Al Di Meola, for example, for exactly that reason. But there are places where less technical proficiency does limit. Johnson would have been hard-pressed to play Luminol, right?

But the reason folks like Joni and James hire guys like Wayne Shorter and Steve Gadd is for feel, but also because they can handle anything thrown at them.

I don't see less technical proficiency as a detriment, in and of itself; but it can limit what can be achieved. It's simply a matter of what does the musician have in their toolbox? But technical proficiency without feel is meaningless, at least imo. We're on the same page, I think, and apologize if my response suggested otherwise.

I hear ya and agree. I'd rather hear a great three-minute pop song that feels good than a 20-minute prog epic that's sterile. Beyond singer/songwriters, I'm a huge fan of Neil Finn and Crowded House, because he's always been so good at writing short pop tunes that are supremely deep and feel great.

Thanks for clarifying, John. I agree, I think we're on the same page.