Thread: Sully's / Chantilly Va - anyone been there for a show?

Sully's / Chantilly Va - anyone been there for a show?

Nektar date added on 6/20 but I don't see a lot of info on the website

Seems like a bar, and this will be general admission

Can anyone talk out of school on this place?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I work in Chantilly and live nearby and have never been to Sully's for a show or aware it was even catering to that kind of music. Maybe this is a DC/SOAR event?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I've always thought of Sully's as being full of local cover bands, karaoke, NASCAR, etc. I'm not sure if I've ever been in there (I used to work nearby too), so I could be wrong, but any time Nektar is booked in the DC area, it's always a strange situation. In any event, every Nektar show is good and I'm glad the band hasn't given up on the area!

It looks like Jay Nedry, former owner of Jaxx, is booking the bands at Sully's. Previous Nektar shows I attended at Jaxx attracted "crowds" of 7 and 15 people. Hopefully, Nedry can pull in more people for Nektar at Sully's!

Not a SOAR show. I looked at Sully's as a possible venue for SOAR shows some years ago and rejected it as inadequate. However, as Mr. McCool notes it appears from their website that Jay Nedry is involved with the club in some fashion, and it indicates he is looking for an architect, so perhaps changes are afoot. I had lunch there once and was underwelmed. They used to have three pool tables in the same area where the small stage was. I'll endevor to stop by sometime to see what's going on.

Tom

There are so many nice small venues in the DC area - shame they opted for Chantilly (and apparently a venue that isn't all that nice).

So, speaking as someone who has actually been to Sully's -- in fact, my band has played there.

Yes, it has been a bit of a dive in the past. Jay Nedry has already gone through one renovation to improve the sound system and band area. The sound there is really great. Uli Jon Roth played there recently, and it was a great show. Jay is trying to bring in a mix of local and national acts and really revamp the place. They have a new chef, and the food is actually decent now, too. The only knock I have is that the service gets a bit slow when the place is full.

If you're a Nektar fan, I would make the effort to go see this show. At the very least, it's going to sound great.

Good news on Sully's! I hope Nektar finally has a good experience in the DC area! I have enjoyed them every time they have played around here. I just wish I could have shared the experience with a few more folks. The Space Invasion show was amazing!

Since it is only about an 8 mile drive I drove over to check it out and indeed they have changed the place a bit. Basically the divided the place into 4, the bar, a walled in concert area, a walled in cigar bar area, and a small lounge with comfy chairs and couches similar to the old mini-bar area at Jaxx (but no bar in this area). The concert area has a fair size stage, but only raised about 1-ft. I'd compare the size of the concert area to that at Jammin Java. Lots of tables for the music watchers, but there are three pool tables in the far back of the area. There is now a "permanent" sound system with a medium size mixing board against the left wall about 1/2 way back. The sound was pretty good when the band setting up tested some of their gear. I could see doing a SOAR show there, though it is still a hike for most people. It's just past Route 28 headed out Route 50. Not convienent to anything, except maybe Dulles airport.

Tom

All those are positive developments indeed! The only possible drawbacks to the renovations that I can see would be if someone starts to play pool during a quiet part of a song or if Sully's uses the same advertising strategy that Jaxx used (i.e., hoping that a local opening band will pull in fans for the touring band). Looking forward to the show!

Just made it back here to add a note that I heard the Nektar show at Sully's was cancelled.