Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings studio albums listening thread

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    You can't put Flowerpower on vinyl. How can you split GoD in two parts!?!?!
    Or three parts?!?!
    The Prog Corner

It's definitely Unfold The Future that is being remixed. Roine mentioned that on Facebook.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It's definitely Unfold The Future that is being remixed. Roine mentioned that on Facebook.

Looking forward to that new UTF remix, for the most part. But to be honest, UTF's always been a one-disc album for me. I just can't find much quality music on disc 2.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Looking forward to that new UTF remix, for the most part. But to be honest, UTF's always been a one-disc album for me. I just can't find much quality music on disc 2.
    I would say I prefer disc 2 to disc 1 (if I was forced to choose) - flows better from song to song and really draws me into that TFK world. Whereas on disc 1 the ambient piece Christianopel slightly breaks the spell; it seems too early in the album for a piece like that - which seems strange to say since it comes over 40 minutes into it....but it is only track 4!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Slightly OT: What's the best Live album?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'd say Meet the Flower Kings. After that, Alive on Planet Earth. Both early days, but MTFF is probably the best intro to their music as it has the epic stuff from early records.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I'd say Meet the Flower Kings. After that, Alive on Planet Earth. Both early days, but MTFF is probably the best intro to their music as it has the epic stuff from early records.
    My first thought was Alive on Planet Earth - some amazing live versions of their studio tracks!

I agree.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    So, no live album in between MTFK and Tour Kaput?

There was a live DVD from the Paradox Hotel tour, called Instant Delivery. It's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    My favorite for listening is "Tour Kaputt" but objectively I'd say "Meet The Flower Kings" is their best.

I'd say Meet the Flower Kings.
    I disagree. I prefer Meat the Flour Kings myself.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

why did I laugh at that
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

All that aside, I can't wait to hear "The Truth Will Set You Free" in its newly remixed form.
    The Prog Corner

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Sorry, was this already posted?

I just went to the post office and picked up my copy sent from Inside Out. It's gorgeous. One of my favorite TFK covers so nice to see in the large format.

Haven't dug into it yet but thought I'd post the vinyl track order since it is different (presumably to make things fit) - and Soul Vortex is dropped.

Side 1
    The Truth Will Set You Free (Part 1)

Side 2
    The Truth Will Set You Free (Part 2)
    Monkey Business
    Black and White
    The Navigator

Side 3
    Silent Inferno
    Vox Humana
    Grand Old World

Side 4
    Genie In A Bottle
    Fast Lane
    Rollin' The Dice
    The Devil's Danceschool

Side 5
    Man Overboard
    Solitary Shell
    Christianopel
    Too Late For Tomatoes

Side 6
    Devil's Playground

The included double CD has the normal running order we are all familiar with - so includes Soul Vortex.

From the unboxing video above the snippet of The Truth sounds quite a bit different so this should be interesting - I wonder if Hasse even re-recorded some of his vocals?

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    The included double CD has the normal running order we are all familiar with - so includes Soul Vortex.
    Does the double CD version include "Too Late For Tomatoes"?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Henry View Post
    Does the double CD version include "Too Late For Tomatoes"?
    Yes it does!

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Yes it does!
    Awesome. Thanks. I couldn't help myself anyway. I had to put in an order for a copy. I just love a good excuse to buy a great album, again.

So I guess everyone confirm UTF is getting a remix, but the most important question for me if the rest of the albums are being remastered for the reissue? I will replace the original CDs in a wink if they do!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    So I guess everyone confirm UTF is getting a remix, but the most important question for me if the rest of the albums are being remastered for the reissue? I will replace the original CDs in a wink if they do!
    I think the entire record has been remastered but only a few (key) tracks are remixed: The Truth Will Set You Free, Devil's Playground and Black & White.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    The mastering on "Flower Power" and "Space Revolver" both suck, so reissues of those two would be most welcome. "Unfold the Future" wasn't even mastered that bad originally.

The mastering on "Flower Power" and "Space Revolver" both suck, so reissues of those two would be most welcome. "Unfold the Future" wasn't even mastered that bad originally.
    Exactly! But nothing indicates they remastered anything other than UTF. Don't see the point of re-purchasing same terrible masters all over again for (marginal?) improvement of selected tracks off the album I am most comfortable with.
    Let's wait for "Flower Power 20th Anniversary Limited Edition" in two years, eh?
    Last edited by Azol; 11-08-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I listened to some of the remixed/remastered Unfold The Future last night. The differences in the remixed version of "The Truth..." are dramatic. In some places I began to wonder if Roine had actually added parts, re-recorded some things, or simply brought some things previously buried much further forward in the mix. I'll have to A/B a couple of sections to get a better grasp of what's going on. This version is likely to supplant the original at least for me.

The remastered tunes are less dramatic in their differences, but my sense is that there is less compression and congestion. More dynamics, open-ness, and distinction between the various instruments. I want to A/B some of those tunes as well.
    <sig out of order>

Especially Flower Power. Just very strange overall production there. Still a super album though. Space Revolver sounds pretty good to me as is.
    The Prog Corner