Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings studio albums listening thread

Just finished listening to the new Unfold The Future and I am shocked at how different the three "remixed" songs sound. I am pretty sure most of the guitars and vocals were re-recorded. Layers upon layers of all things Stolt. Lots of new keyboard parts too. Were those "found" or did Stolt re-record those too?

My only real complaint is how buried in the mix Zoltan's drums are. I was straining to hear them.
    And Jonas's bass sounds funny, like there were a ton of effects piled onto the bass tracks.

Better than the 2002 version?

Hell no!!!

Any good? For sure. But I think "The Truth Will Set You Free" is the best thing TFK's ever did so messing around with it is akin to painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. AT least in this case it's Da Vinci himself doing the damage.
    The Prog Corner

Well you always have the original to fall back on if you like. Personally, I'm hearing a ton of details I never heard before and yes, either alternate takes or complete re-recordings and/or outright additions of certain elements.

I didn't think the drums were hard to hear and didn't think the bass sounded funny. I'm listening on some nice KRK studio monitors with a subwoofer and the dynamic range is pretty amazing. To me, the remixed version of "The Truth..." has been augmented in a very positive way. The contrasts, the "journey" have been deepened. I immediately felt I'd never both with the original again, but of course your mileage may vary.

It would be great to see an interview with Roine where he is asked about what changes he made.
    <sig out of order>

Dying to hear the comparison made for Garden of Dreams! Does is sound that compressed as on the original album?
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    Dying to hear the comparison made for Garden of Dreams! Does is sound that compressed as on the original album?
    I don't think any albums other than Unfold The Future were remastered. Unless I missed something.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I don't think any albums other than Unfold The Future were remastered. Unless I missed something.
    YOU ARE CORRECT HOWEVER FLOWER POWER IS SCRAMING FOR A REMIX/REMASTER.

I'm on my fourth spin and I really like the new versions. They're growing on me. Change is hard. Especially hearing my favorite song (The Truth Will Set You Free, obviously) in a completely different light.

Maybe my initial reaction was a bit hasty!
    The Prog Corner

Sad to say, I have now lost almost all interest in listening to the back catalog. I only own Adam & Eve and Stardust We are. I never feel like A&E and there probably only about 4 songs on Stardust that hold any appeal.

$25 for a 2-Lp and 2-Cd box set of remixes/remasters is a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    YOU ARE CORRECT HOWEVER FLOWER POWER IS SCRAMING FOR A REMIX/REMASTER.

I'm on my fourth spin and I really like the new versions. They're growing on me. Change is hard. Especially hearing my favorite song (The Truth Will Set You Free, obviously) in a completely different light.

Maybe my initial reaction was a bit hasty!

Depending on how you listen, the remix might not be that satisfying. I've noticed that the bass and drums have quite a bit more punch on the original mix/mastering due to much more compression being used. I think the bass and drums may even be EQ'd to bring out a somewhat higher frequency band (I haven't checked this with a spectrum analyzer though) which will translate better to earbuds and such.

The remix has far less compression making things feel far more open, revealing many more details (plus, as stated before, it's not clear to me how many of these details are simply brand new). The drums are a little more "distant" in some ways, revealing more of the natural drum sound and maybe even a bit more of the sound of the room the drums were recorded in. But the punch of the kick seems to be at a lower frequency...which will be harder to appreciate without a system capable of reproducing that low end.

I would love to see Flower Power receive this sort of treatment!
    <sig out of order>

There was once upon a time that The Flower Kings would release an album annually and for the most part, they were double CD albums! Although Desolation Rose is only four years old (2013), it seems an eternity and they have truly slowed down their output pace.

But for Roine, keeping up with all his side projects like with Steve Hackett, Jon Anderson, Kaipa and Transatlantic sure makes it challenging but now, the vinyl releases should make it interesting once upon a time again...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I noticed yesterday that Amazon.com had ALREADY sold out of the new, limited boxed set!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I noticed yesterday that Amazon.com had ALREADY sold out of the new, limited boxed set!
    Amazon UK shows it still in stock. That is where I ordered it from on 11/3 but it still hasn't shown to be shipped out yet. Getting a little worried. It says I should get it between 12/23 and 12/30. Has anyone received their copy yet? If so where did you order from?

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Amazon UK shows it still in stock. That is where I ordered it from on 11/3 but it still hasn't shown to be shipped out yet. Getting a little worried. It says I should get it between 12/23 and 12/30. Has anyone received their copy yet? If so where did you order from?
    I know one person who got it, but I don't know where he ordered from and he's not on PE. Laser's Edge has it in stock (and is presumably shipping now otherwise it'd be a preorder).

When is the last time Flower Kings played/toured in the US?
    After seeing them a bunch of times in the early/mid 2000s, it's now been awhile for me. With Roine's new group, are they still considered an ongoing active band?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My first thought was Alive on Planet Earth - some amazing live versions of their studio tracks!
    I agree. That cd really amped up my interest in the FK, and it's a great way to get into the band.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    . Space Revolver sounds pretty good to me as is.
    Same here. Space Revolver sounds crisp and sharp to me. Still probably my fav studio album, that or Stardust.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-16-2017 at 05:16 PM.

I used to have the compilation Scanning the Greenhouse long ago, then I sold it, then several years later it seemed like it had become very hard to find. But now there seem to be lots of copies for sale. I'm wondering why. Maybe there are fewer people who need an intro to FK and lots of other people have sold off their copies? I didn't buy it as an intro, I started buying their stuff after the first or second album came out.

I used to have the compilation Scanning the Greenhouse long ago, then I sold it, then several years later it seemed like it had become very hard to find. But now there seem to be lots of copies for sale. I'm wondering why. Maybe there are fewer people who need an intro to FK and lots of other people have sold off their copies? I didn't buy it as an intro, I started buying their stuff after the first or second album came out.
    Could be a myriad of reasons. They released a double CD compilation later with more tunes, although not a whole lot of overlap. With the variety of live stuff available maybe those are preferred over a relatively limited compilation. And once people buy the early albums, not as much need for a
    1 cd compilation.

I know one person who got it, but I don't know where he ordered from and he's not on PE. Laser's Edge has it in stock (and is presumably shipping now otherwise it'd be a preorder).
    Got the email today that my order has been shipped (or dispatched as amazon uk says) - so I should get this before the end of the year.

Got the email today that my order has been shipped (or dispatched as amazon uk says) - so I should get this before the end of the year.

Laser's Edge no longer has it either. I snoozed, I lost.. So I ordered from Bull Moose. They don't have it in stock, but it is listed as "we will try to get it for you". My experience has been pretty good with them when they "try to get it for me".

Well, I've been a fan of the band since 1998, but I'm not really seeing much point in picking this up, other than for completeness sake (I don't have the box of their first 6 albums or whatever, either, not really intending to get that since I have them all and they aren't remastered and no bonus material). The original release sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

Now, if Flower Power and/or Stardust get remastered I would buy those without hesitation. Especially in the case of Flower Power, which is sorely in need of a remaster. I've been listening to it again lately, and it definitely is more "muddy" sounding than any of their other albums. Still not bad, but I could easily see a remaster doing wonders for that album.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I don't have the box of their first 6 albums or whatever, either
    That's what we're discussing here - the box of their first 7 albums.

infandous might be thinking of the SHM-CD Mini LP boxset thing that came out in 2015 - that included The Flower King and the first 3 albums (TFK, BItWoA, R, SWA) That was another beauty of a boxset.

I guess there really isn't any need to get this new box set unless you want the UtF remix/remaster and don't want to get the vinyl. This seems to be the only other way to get it since there isn't a stand-alone CD release.

I'm a sucker for all things TFK so I really don't have a choice - I have to get it. But yes I certainly wish they had included at least one disc of goodies, some unreleased material or even just a live show from that early era. I think the reason the Kaipa Decca Years box set is going for such ridiculously high prices ($1299) now is not just because of the remastered first 3 albums, but also the live album and the unedited demo recording of the first album, those aren't available anywhere else. But who knows, this seems to be a pretty limited run of this TFK box set and the initial price is certainly fair for so many CDs so I can see it having some value. Hopefully it has a nice booklet in it.

Since people pop in and out of threads to glean info, it sure would help if people clarified/named what they were talking about (ie Kingdom of Colours Box Set). It sure saves a lot of reading backwards in threads to decipher!

I don't see the need for this new box set of the first 7 albums if you already have them. Different story if there is unreleased material/live CDs included.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.

I think the reason the Kaipa Decca Years box set is going for such ridiculously high prices ($1299)
    It's not going to sell for that price - there are 11 copies for sale on Discogs at much better prices. Too bad though, I'd sell mine for that price!