Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Phlox - Vali

FEATURED ALBUM: Phlox - Vali

Description from Wayside:
    The world is a big, surprising place, but it still probably comes as a shock to many folks to learn that one of the absolute greatest jazz/rock bands performing today is from Tallinn, Estonia!

Phlox has been recording and playing for over a dozen years and it shows! This is their fifth album and their first live album; it was recorded and broadcast live over Estonian Classical radio on April 25, 2012 and is a very high quality live recording in front of a small, invited audience.

Most of the tracks (5 out of 7) are new tracks and are not different versions from previous albums, so whether or not you like or don't like live albums is sort of beside the point; this is their new album, filled with new works and just tearing it up, without any overdubs and without a safety net.

They have many fine attributes, but one of the things I like best about them is that they take the classic Weather Report/Perigeo sound and kick it squarely 40 years forward, because they aren't afraid to add noisier elements as well.

The personnel is same as their last one: Kalle Klein-saxophone, Raivo Prooso-bass, Pearu Helenurm-keyboards, Kristo Roots-guitar, Madis Zilmer-drums, Allan Prooso-percussion and everyone plays with both fire and sensitivity. Hugely recommended; if you even suspect that you need this, then you absolutely DO need this!

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Funny - we sold out of this yesterday. We'll have more in 10 days (just sayin', in case someone goes looking for it from us).
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

and Cozy might also have mentioned that that video clip is the performance of one of the songs from the album; the session was filmed as well as recorded.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I know some/many will disagree, but I haven't found the two Pholx albums since R+V to be all that exciting. They are good, but don't have that special "something" in the compositions that really made me respond so strongly to R+V. Vali is cool because it's live and the energy is great. The band plays well, the sound is good. It's good Jazz Rock, but the new tracks here just have a "been there, done that" quality to me - sort of Jazz Rock by the numbers. The R+V tracks on Vali tracks bring energy, but I like the studio versions better, the impact of the parts seem diminished to me taking them at such a fast tempos. But even with that, it is interesting to me how much these tracks stand out compositionally against the new tracks.

Anyway, I'm glad the albums is selling. Perhaps my own expectations got the better of me with these albums, but I just thought R+V was so different and interesting that maybe I expected more, or too much, from the follow-ups.

Bill

Bill,

I think they improve within the parameters of what they do with each album. Not sure what you found so different about R+V that you don't hear it anymore, unless you were hoping for them to shift beyond the parameters of what they do.

Anyway, I really like them, as is already pretty apparent!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Not sure what you found so different about R+V that you don't hear it anymore, unless you were hoping for them to shift beyond the parameters of what they do.
    Unlike a lot of Jazz Rock, I thought many of the compositions on R+V had a focus on strong, well defined melodies, or sections that focused on developing a compositional idea over blowing another solo (not that there aren't plenty of those on R+V as well). I also thought they brought a more rock-oriented focus to these particular tracks; with almost a "punky" energy. It just sounded "fresh" and "new" to me, though it was clearly still well ensconced in the Jazz Rock idiom. I don't hear as much of that on Talu of Vali. The melodies aren't as well developed in my mind, I don't hear as much emphasis on composition versus improv, and I don't hear the same level of rock influence, though they are still clearly a Jazz Rock outfit.

So it really has nothing to do with needing to stretch beyond what they do, but rather the particular elements they have chosen to stress within the context of their music. The newer stuff just doesn't sound as "fresh" or "exciting" to me. Noting is really all that memorable. It sounds more like a lot of other Jazz Rock stuff that what they did on R+V, which was still clearly Jazz Rock, but brought something a little different to the table in the context of that style. Different ears may hear it differently, but that's been my perception.

Bill

well reasoned and articulate!

I just don't agree!

very best, Bill!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

.... and I feel that "Talu" is their best offering. I thought it improved on "Rebimine + Voltimine" - more focused I suppose. I found "Vali" to be a little loose. But I've never been a fan of unhinged sax soloing, and there's more of that here than previous. Still, I haven't absorbed "Vali" as much as the others, so I'm hoping it clicks for me a bit more with future listens. It's a very good album, but maybe not the direction I was hoping for given the brilliance of "Talu".

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like it a lot. Getting plenty of listens.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Bill,

I think they improve within the parameters of what they do with each album. Not sure what you found so different about R+V that you don't hear it anymore, unless you were hoping for them to shift beyond the parameters of what they do.

Anyway, I really like them, as is already pretty apparent!
    I agree Steve, I found Vali to be the best of the three.
    My favorite fusiony band, probably because they captured some of that Soft Machine vibe which I never tire of.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Almus is fantastic, and definitely my favorite song on the album, and possibly this year (if the album was released this year that is...).

Lovely album all around, yet it doesn't get better than the vid above IMO.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I found "Vali" to be a little loose.
    Live albums often are!

I also find that the 'having to do it in real time/can't fix any mistakes' can also make for a more inspirational performance, even if not as tight as studio albums are.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

we got this fine release back in stock btw, and I fully stand behind every nice thing I said about it...at least for my personal tastes!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com