Thread: Rolling Stones Rehearsing in LA

Jefferson James

Rolling Stones Rehearsing in LA

It's been a trippy week or so with the Stones here in town, playing a secret gig at The Echoplex (a club well-known to musicians here in town; I've even played the place), all the buzzing about sightings, etc.

For the True Geeks out there, I give you a most excellent article by an acquaintance of mine, Falling James (some may know him from his band The Leaving Trains). This is required reading for Stones geeks.

Enjoy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I like how they're calling the tour "50 and Counting," to make people think the band might be close to 50 years old. LOL.

I never cared too much for The Stones, but it's cool that they're still carrying on, because lord knows I want people like David Gilmour and Bowie to carry on in some fashion for as long.

Thanks for the link! I forwarded the most excellent article to my brother who is keyboarder in a Rolling Stones cover band (the bands name is "Get Stoned").

Cool article. I hope Mick Taylor can get it together for this tour given his poor health. The Stones never sounded better than when he was in the group!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I like how they're calling the tour "50 and Counting," to make people think the band might be close to 50 years old. LOL.
    They call it "50 and counting" becasue it's a tour celebrating 50 years as a band.

Kristi
    I'm a tad disappointed. I thought they always rehearsed in Connecticut and played their secret gigs there. At least they used to!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'd love to see them again. Nose bleed tickets, $200 each.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Very nice article! They can still put on a great show but not worth the money ! Do they can really need the dosh ?

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'd love to see them again. Nose bleed tickets, $200 each.
    Interesting to read various articles around the internet that the ticket prices haven't done them any favours on this tour. The phrase 'get real' comes to mind with those prices- I hope this is the start of a rebellion against this madness...indeed it's ironic that The Stones were once the sound of rebellion themselves.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Interesting to read various articles around the internet that the ticket prices haven't done them any favours on this tour. The phrase 'get real' comes to mind with those prices- I hope this is the start of a rebellion against this madness.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3213878.html
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Clearly Mick Taylor being in tow this tour is the special draw-

Just played Can't You Hear Me Knocking on the jukebox. That's my fave Stones song.

The ticket prices are just insane. I love The Stones, but I couldn't justify spending $200-600 to see these guys again. I'll keep my memories of the two shows I saw on The Steel Wheels Tour...

Doesn't sound like Taylor plays more than a song or two each night, probably because of his health. Too bad - a 3 guitar lineup would be interesting.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    They call it "50 and counting" becasue it's a tour celebrating 50 years as a band.
    I know, but I suspect it may also be to misdirect people from Jagger's age.

"70 and Napping"

I know, but I suspect it may also be to misdirect people from Jagger's age.

"70 and Napping"
    Mick's got the energy many 18 year olds would dream about having. He's non-stop from the opening song; dancing, hopping and bopping, running around the stage and into the crowd on the tongue. Anything but napping. Giving the man credit where it's due.

Still, nothing beats the sheer power and terror of this:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Last night in Toronto the boys broke out another classic, easy top 5 in my RS list-

Great to see them varying sets every night too.
    Another fave performed last night. Mick never stops moving.
    Last edited by Obscured; 05-26-2013 at 11:58 AM.

I've never been a huge Stones fan (I own the British Aftermath & Satanic Majesties & that's all).

OTOH, I've probably covered more Stones songs over the years than any other band's.

There is absolutely no denying that Jags is a phenomenal anomaly, and a huge inspiration to all of us 60+ people who don't want to stop rockin'!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    .. an acquaintance of mine, Falling James ....
    sticking around to tell us all a tale from the Tahoe mud?