Phlox
    Niacin
    Marbin
    3 Crows
    Gary Willis
    Senri Kawaguchi
    Richard Hallebeek
    The Trio of Stridence
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Gary Willis
    oooh, Gary Willis has a new one out. Love this guy, but listening to the samples I think he may be leaving his frenetic fusion roots behind with age. This sounds more straight ahead jazz more than fusion. Still, he is a great, melodic player. Will definitely check this one out.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Marbin

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Phlox
    Niacin
    Marbin
    3 Crows
    Gary Willis
    Senri Kawaguchi
    Richard Hallebeek
    The Trio of Stridence
    I'm Really glad you like Marbin (my name is Dani and I'm the guitarist in Marbin). We are about to release a live record in a few months (:

No doubts, SANGUINE HUM "The Weight of the World". I've bought it on iTunes and today I've ordered the CD, I like them too much....and while there I've ordered "Diving Bell" too.

So far Bowie's The Next Day is IT, by a mile, although Delta Machine (Depeche Mode) almost gives it a run for its money. Electric (Richard Thompson) and Amok (Atoms for Peace) are the other big ones that stand out. So far that's really it as new stuff goes, although the Miles Davis Europe '69 box is big news in the archive department.

Also looking forward Vampire Weekend's newest next week, and eventually the next Blackfield if it happens this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Spock's Beard songs are too long? I thought that's what prog was all about?
    For what they are/contain yes...i don't even care about prog...i just want to hear good well-written songs not vehicles for showy not-for-the-song nonsense...plus i know this was tongue-in-cheek but anyway heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    No doubts, SANGUINE HUM "The Weight of the World". I've bought it on iTunes and today I've ordered the CD, I like them too much....and while there I've ordered "Diving Bell" too.
    Not sure of there availability but the bands early music (cant remember name - something to do with Nuns) is well worth searching out. I bought them when I saw them live once and they really are good.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Antique Seeking Nuns - excellent band
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Guapo - History Of Visitation - as good as 5 Suns and Black Oni to these ears, includes an excellent DVD of 5 Suns performed at NF.
    Setna - Guérison - sophomore effort from the excellent Zeuhl band

Five Storey Ensemble - Not That City - the other ex-Rational Diet band, more Chamber than Archestra, both great.

Steve Wilson - Raven That Refused to Sing - yes as everyone seems to say, it's really good.
    Setna is definitely my fave so far... But this one is a tad more Canterbury than Cycles 1 did...

Must check out 5SE & Guapo's latest and Flat Earth Society's last one too.

Only heard one track from Wilson's latest, but it sounds pretty good I must
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yes, but - uh - they're not ASN anymore...!? New Sanguine Hum is fabulous, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Here's how I'd rate the 2013 releases I've gotten so far:

Love it!

Grand General - S/T. Really fantastic album. It has a mix of elements that is immediately familiar but done in a unique way. The compositions are memorable, and the playing is killer. A really pleasant surprise.

Really like it!

Herd of Instinct - Conjure. I bought both their albums just recently and like them bot a lot.

Zletovsko - S/T. Utterly insane Japanese band that sounds like a cross between ELP and Happy Family. First few spins I wasn't sure what to make of this one, but the last close listen in the car really impressed me. I'm getting used to the strange vocals they use at times. Not for the feint of heart.

OK

Oxhuitza - S/T. Some interesting ideas, but unlike the Grand General, the playing just isn't as intense and the compositions aren't as well-constructed. This one needs more attention, so my evaluation could improve (or decline).

ScienceNV - Last Album Before the End of Time. Just got this one, and their debut. After a first spin I thought this was kind of cool, but it didn't knock me out. Needs more spins.

A little disappointing, but worth keeping

Oblivion Sun - The High Places. Sorry to say it, but this one has left me a little flat. I like the opening track, but overall this release seems a bit "lightweight" compared to their excellent debut.

Phlox - Vali. Like Talu, this one lacks the uniqueness of composition that R+V had. They are obviously a great live band, but the new tracks here just have a "been there, done that" quality to me - jazz rock by the numbers. Good, but nothing special. The R+V tracks bring energy, but I like the studio version better.

Thieves' Kitchen - One for Sorrow, Two for Joy. Another where I'm sorry to say it, but this one has also left me a little flat. It sounds pretty much like Water Road, but so far I'm not finding as much to carry my interest here as that album or Shibboleth. Needs a fresh spin, I'm hoping this one will be a grower.

Bill
    Last edited by Sputnik; 05-04-2013 at 08:46 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes, but - uh - they're not ASN anymore...!? New Sanguine Hum is fabulous, though.
    I just pointing out the band name to the poster before me who thought the band name was something to do with Nuns
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thats it - Thank you

As mentioned, a previous incarnation of Sanquine Hum, but well worth checking out

I think I'm progged out, nothing I've heard from 2013 has impressed me.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I think I'm progged out, nothing I've heard from 2013 has impressed me.
    Setna's new album should... really!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Old man of prog
    1. Spock - Brief Nocturnes
    2. Lifesigns
    3. Steve Wilson - Raven
    4. Big Big Train - English Electric 2
    5. Sanguine Hum - Weight of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Setna's new album should... really!!

I have the Setna and like it, but it didn't knock my socks off.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Hi there,

Good Information
    Musicforte.com a name that you can rely on for the best deals in music!

Riutta - Olen nähnyt parempaa

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Riutta - Olen nähnyt parempaa

WOW. Dig this. Where can an American buy this?

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    WOW. Dig this. Where can an American buy this?
    I think no one in US carry it.But you can order it here
    http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/ri...i_on_hyvin/#cd

Wow I'm checking out 'Sanguine Hum' for the first time now, and its pretty cool stuff. So much music, not enough time or money.

First of all, where is the new bands ambition to release something interesting and exciting? Some years ago there was Haken. Those guys surprised the prog world with a very good and interesting album. Maybe it wasn't a masterpiece, but it was a good and sucessful try to make an impact. Sometimes you listen to a new band or a band which exists for some time but of which you haven't heard before and wonder where is the ambition to create an album which is interesting, which grabs the listener.
    And some of the established bands also lack something, it's difficulet to say what it is. I would think that there are possibilities and niches in the prog world which still need to be filled.
    Maybe it's just the fact that this year feels empty. At the start there were few albums of some popular bands released but the last few months have lacked. Sure, there are some albums released, but nothing grabs you as it should.

To say a few words about some releases:
    Spock' Beard - the sample trailer sounded so promising, yet when you hear the album it lacks some consistency. I really like Ted Leonard but I think that he has not yet blended with the other guys. It felt somewhat uncomfortable. Still, despite all this, this album so far is one of the better ones.

Big Big Train - I wouldn't be surprised if all the songs for EE part 1 and part 2 were recorded in the same sessions but in the end the better ones were put on part 1 and the rest of the songs on part 2. Maybe it's not the case but it feels like that. Part 1 was a good album, but Part 2 lacks highlights.

Steven Wilson - solid, consistent quality music. The problem with it is that it feels bland. Still I liked it better than I thought I would.

Riverside - again, the trailer was exciting, but when you get to the album, it lacks standout tracks. It feels dry, but most of their music feels for me that way.

Comedy Of Errors - along with the Spocks album one of the releases which deserve to be checked out repeatedly. Good production, good singer, talanted musicians. I would have liked more adventure in this. Not a masterpiece, but a solid record.

I was disappointed with DGM. It is the same disappointment that I got from the latest releases of Circus Maximus and Spheric Universe Experience.

I have yet to hear the whole Osada Vida but from what I did hear, did not impress me.

I'm eagerly waiting for new Advent. I know that a lot of people are. The sample which they provided was nothing short of being amazing. Hurry up guys!!!

Frost is working on new material. As is Haken, Seventh Wonder, Anubis Gate, ACT, Moon Safari, Brighteye Brison, Dream Theater and many others. It could be that the second half of the year brings more interesting music.