Page 39 of 116 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

Banned
    Oberon The Mountain of Fate (full-lenght, released November 6, 2016, Padua, Italy)

Bandcamp link

Favourite track: Inheritance: I. Blank Eyes; II. Falling Asleep; III. Dies Irae; IV. Inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by rockcup View Post
    Listened to this plus a couple of other tracks that are also posted. Actually not that bad, I feared far worse. I still would have far prefer them to have sung in Italian, but the vocal parts I heard weren't a total turnoff. The instrumental sections were quite good. I'll probably get this.

Bill

Instrumental its a very good album but the vocals,always the vocals.......;-(

Quote Originally Posted by rockcup View Post
    Instrumental its a very good album but the vocals,always the vocals.......;-(
    I really like the vocals on the first three Nuova Era albums. I love it when Camalti does the double octaves, one low and one high voice. I always thought that was really effective. He does a bit of that on this new album, though really more of a harmony part. There's an example in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0aTwzuLm0

I know it's been 25+ years, but Camalti's voice doesn't sound like it used to. He seems to be straining on the upper register. English pronunciation is also an issue, made worse by some odd phrasings in the lyrics causing him to stretch certain words. Can't say the lyrics themselves are knocking me out either. Just seems a really strange choice to start singing in English now, really a head scratcher. Vast majority of the record appears to be instrumental though.

Bill

Still don't know what to make of the new Nuova Era. I hate the idea of English vocals and I'm not to wild of that Barock approach of the instrumental parts.

Might get this one anyway just because I have all their stuff.

Looking forward to Egonon (which might be in English too ) Gran Turismo Veloce and La Torre del'Alchimista....

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Still don't know what to make of the new Nuova Era. I hate the idea of English vocals and I'm not to wild of that Barock approach of the instrumental parts.

Might get this one anyway just because I have all their stuff.
    I'm getting it, but I wish I could also find Io E Il Tempo , the only one I am missing. I can't find it anywhere!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm getting it, but I wish I could also find Io E Il Tempo , the only one I am missing. I can't find it anywhere!
    That would be their best one. There is a boot by Tachika which should be much easier to find (just for info, of course nobody should buy counterfeits)

That would be their best one. There is a boot by Tachika which should be much easier to find (just for info, of course nobody should buy counterfeits)
    Yeah, I want the legit release to go with all my others. I wonder why that one in particular is so difficult to find?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah, I want the legit release to go with all my others. I wonder why that one in particular is so difficult to find?
    This was one of the last albums Contempo released before they went out of business, so maybe it was printed in smaller numbers...
    (or just never reprinted again)

Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

There are three available on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3625402?ev=rb

A couple on Amazon, but those prices are stupid: https://www.amazon.com/Io-Tempo-Nuova-Era/dp/B00RSPJ7F4

It also seems to be available on vinyl: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2016951...590&rmvSB=true

Personally, I always liked Dopo L'Infinito best. I think that's their most successful take on classic 70s Prog, followed by the debut. To me, Io E Il Tempo becomes a bit more "Neo-Prog" sounding. They seem to lose a lot of the carefree abandon on those first two albums that made them so fun, and tone down the instrumental fireworks. Obviously mileage varies, Gnosis prefers Dopo while PA leans slightly to Io E Il Tempo, though the debut gets the best rating there. Both sites really seem to like Il Passo del Soldato, which I've never really bonded with, though I don't hate it. Maybe time to give that one a fresh listen.

Bill

^^

I really love !Il Passo del Soldato!, it just sounds like a total different band.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    There are three available on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3625402?ev=rb
    Yeah, I do keep my eye out there, but I'm hoping not to have to pay over 40 bucks for a used copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Personally, I always liked Dopo L'Infinito best.
    Agreed.

^^

I really love !Il Passo del Soldato!, it just sounds like a total different band.
    Yeah, that's an interesting point. I'll give it another listen soon. I just got flooded with new music so it may be a while. But I'll try to approach it as a "different band" and see if that helps. Maybe I'm trying to impose to much Nuova Era-ness on it.

Bill

^^

That is my favorite one too!!!

After the return of GTV some other short news

Höstsonaten's "The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" will be continued soon..

Fonderia are back in the studio after their detour as La Batteria...

FEM Prog Band are in the studio

Sophya Baccini will appear on "Orlando" by Banco dell Muttuo Soccorso

CHRISTADORO are a new project feat. Zuffanti, SKE and Pier Panzeri (Biglietto Per l'Inferno)
    All very good news.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I didn't have time to go through 39 pages but they're two bands playing at the Terra Incognita festival in Quebec next spring and I'm looking for opinions:

Il Paradiso degli Orchi
    Hostsonaten

I look forward to your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I didn't have time to go through 39 pages but they're two bands playing at the Terra Incognita festival in Quebec next spring and I'm looking for opinions:

Il Paradiso degli Orchi
    Hostsonaten

I look forward to your replies!
    Hostsonaten is excellent, I have their complete catalogue. Began as an offshoot of Finisterre, if you know them. I'd think they would appeal to most fans of the classic symphonic prog sound. Lots of vintage keys, flute, etc. Here's a good sample of what they sound like:

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hostsonaten is excellent, I have their complete catalogue. Began as an offshoot of Finisterre, if you know them. I'd think they would appeal to most fans of the classic symphonic prog sound. Lots of vintage keys, flute, etc. Here's a good sample of what they sound like:

Thanks for the link. I own some Finesterre so Hostsonaten sounds like it might be in my wheelhouse. I'll check out the link!

Edit - Sounds excellent!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-15-2016 at 06:35 PM.

To new great bands with releases:

La Bocca della Verita - Avenoth (finally after this one was out on CDr 10 years ago (or so))

Il Rumore Bianco - Antropocene (their first EP was awesome)

A list of things still to come (of course I certainly forgot some)

Astralia
    Fonderia
    FEM Prog Band
    Gran Turismo Veloce (being mixed and mastered at this moment in Sweden)
    PFM (spring 2017)
    Le Orme
    Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Orlando
    Il Tempio delle Clessidre
    Egonon (album is finished, they are looking for a lable)
    Panther & C. (March 2017)
    Astrolabio (soon)
    Disequazione (soon)
    Universal Totem Orchestra (Dezember)
    SynCage (soon)
    Il Fauno Di Marmo
    Ianva
    Il Giardino Onirico (status unkown)
    La Tore dell'Alchimista (if they ever finish it :-) )
    Mad Crayon (in the works for over 2 years now)
    Quarto Vuoto
    SKE - Live (if he ever releases this one)
    Laviàntica
    Maxophone (January 2017)
    The Ancient Veil (ex Eris Pluvia)
    Pandora (end of the month)
    Verganti - Atlas
    Accordo dei Contrari
    Una Stagione all'Inferno - Il Mostro di Firence
    Unreal City (September 2017)

P.S.
    Il Cerchio d'Oro
    DAAL
    Cellar Noise (a band produced by Zuffanti)
    Mauro Montobbio (Narrow Pass)
    Höstsonaten - Ancient Mariner Part 2
    Christadoro (with Zuffanti and SKE)

P.P.S.
    PHOENIX Again
    Last edited by TheH; 11-20-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Just gotta say again, thanks for all your efforts keeping us apprised of these releases, TheH. You get my vote for MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Just gotta say again, thanks for all your efforts keeping us apprised of these releases, TheH. You get my vote for MVP.
    Thank you. I felt in love with Italian Prog 25 years ago, I always thought it would be great to been part of it in the 70s RPI. I discovered I can be part of it now!
    I also discovered there is no source of information that really pleased me (although there are good ones, but good isn't good enough (for me)).

So I have to admit I started gathering info just for myself. I'm just sharing it here...

A list of things still to come (of course I certainly forgot some)
    ---FEM Prog Band

Wish they would go back to their original moniker of Forza Elettro Motrice. FEM Prog definitely gets lost in translation...

---Il Tempio delle Clessidre

Cool. Hadn't heard they had a new one on the horizon.

----Astrolabio (soon)

Excellent news. Really enjoyed their debut.

----Universal Totem Orchestra (December)

I read somewhere it's December 17th. Not sure how accurate the source is.

---La Torre dell'Alchimista (if they ever finish it :-) )

It's been almost 10 years since their last one. I listened to my CD of Neo not that long ago actually. Great album. I can't even remember the last time I pulled out the debut for a listen.

----Unreal City (September 2017)

Looks like the date has been set for November 17th, 2017. Well then, get the party hats out now!

Another CD I just pulled down from the stack is the last Logos album from 2014. Really good retro Italian prog. They seem to be quite active according to their FB page, but I didn't notice any new recordings coming up.

Oh - and I agree with Mark on your valuable contributions here!