Page 16 of 116 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

I really liked Entity's Il Falso Centro. Nice straight-ahead symphonic prog with a good singer, lush harmonies and lots of thematic development. I think people who like Ezra Winston would enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    I really liked Entity's Il Falso Centro. Nice straight-ahead symphonic prog with a good singer, lush harmonies and lots of thematic development. I think people who like Ezra Winston would enjoy it.
    That is a really great album, I love it. Apart from a production that could have been better it's one of my 2014 faves
    (it was actually a 2013 release but it wasn't distributed before 2014)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does anyone like Fabio Zuffanti's big ass King Arthur thing?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does anyone like Fabio Zuffanti's big ass King Arthur thing?
    Do you mean Merlin - A Rock Opera? I have that (the reissued one) and it has its moments, particularly on disc 1. Not his strongest project overall though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Anyone know if there will ever be another Malibran album? It's been several years now... I love these guys.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    what I’ve heard of Humana Prog is definitely promising.
    This one didn't do anything at all for me; way too much humana and not nearly enough prog. Aren't these guys Maxophone-related?

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    This one didn't do anything at all for me; way too much humana and not nearly enough prog. Aren't these guys Maxophone-related?
    They are aproject by Paolo Farina who wrote the lyrics for the Maxophone Album. Sergio Lattuada from maxophone guestst
    on the Album.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Anyone know if there will ever be another Malibran album? It's been several years now... I love these guys.
    The band Malibran ended actually in 2005. They where a solo Project of Giuseppe Scaravilli later.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the works, but there maybe some hope left.

That's too bad. I've been holding out hope for another Malibran... I think their first couple in particular are somewhat underrated.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Posted by Yugen

We'd like to announce the complete line-up for the next Yugen's cd (release date, Autumn 2015). Here they are:

Paolo "Ske" Botta, keyboards
    Maurizio Fasoli, piano
    Elaine Di Falco, vocals
    Dalila Kayros, vocals
    Matteo Lorito, double bass
    Alessandro Cassani, electric bass
    Michele Salgarello, drums
    Carmelo Miceli, drums
    Fedele Stucchi, trombone, euphonium
    Peter Schmid, tubax, contrabass clarinet
    Stefano Ferrian, 8-strings guitar, alto & tenor saxophone
    Francesco Zago, guitar
    Jacopo Costa, vibes, marimba, percussion
    Giuseppe Olivini, percussion
    Valerio Cipollone, soprano & bass clarinet

Release date it a bit of a bummer otherwise very excited & particularly happy to see Elaine involved.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Mr H, you haven't commented on the new Murple, I expect mum taught you that if you didn't have anything nice to say don't say it, or is this an oversight?

: )

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Release date it a bit of a bummer otherwise very excited & particularly happy to see Elaine involved.
    Let's just hope she goes easy on the autotune this time around, and that the band as such don't display so many of the usual UZero-cliches (courtesy magnificently insightful review at ProgArchives).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Let's just hope she goes easy on the autotune this time around, and that the band as such don't display so many of the usual UZero-cliches (courtesy magnificently insightful review at ProgArchives).
    You've got to wonder why people who clearly don't like a particular style of music bother to review albums like that, given his comments I'm pretty surprised he bother to buy it without sampling first.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Mr H, you haven't commented on the new Murple, I expect mum taught you that if you didn't have anything nice to say don't say it, or is this an oversight?

: )

BG
    My mum thaught me a lot of wise and usefull things :-)

The new Murple one is a nice somewhat short synphonic prog Album. Of course it is not as good as the 70s one, but
    I like it. There are still better albums from Italy this year, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You've got to wonder why people who clearly don't like a particular style of music bother to review albums like that, given his comments I'm pretty surprised he bother to buy it without sampling first.
    I absolutely respect someone's dislike of something - when the position is based on versed insight. The review in question, however, is utterly *pathetic*. You do NOT point out the rather obvious default of using autotune when this apparatus is in fact not in use. Then you rather get a bit embarrassed. Although of course not on the aenternit.

And laughing at Magma 'though not "knowing" who they are, and going public with this because despite everything it isn't as if we don't "get" it - we "get" it perfectly, we just don't "know" it. Or Henry Cow, or that dreadful "RIO" (although we don't "know" it, we just don't LIKE it). Or "prog" bands with saxes, 'cause they're "jazz". Like VdGG and that jarring singing vox.

To most A1-fans, "Soundchaser" appears like The Shaggs' "Foot-Foot". Of course, the latter isn't "prog" so we're allowed to diss them.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The band Malibran ended actually in 2005. They where a solo Project of Giuseppe Scaravilli later.
    I didn't really learn to appreciate them before Oltre L'Ignoto. I was really put off by those neo-antics and British lyrics of their earlier material.

Are there any news about the band Garamond that you know of? I'm listening to Quant'Altro this very minute, remembering how much I enjoy that CD - which for the most part consists of demos. But AFAIR, they were initializing a release proper with AltrOck some years back, enlisting Paolo Botta and others as coops - did there ever come anything out of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I didn't really learn to appreciate them before Oltre L'Ignoto. I was really put off by those neo-antics and British lyrics of their earlier material.

Are there any news about the band Garamond that you know of? I'm listening to Quant'Altro this very minute, remembering how much I enjoy that CD - which for the most part consists of demos. But AFAIR, they were initializing a release proper with AltrOck some years back, enlisting Paolo Botta and others as coops - did there ever come anything out of that?
    Had the same experience with Malibran disliked their early stuff (somewhat metal Jethro Tull), I really love the latest two. Oltre L'Ignoto is wonderfull.

Garamond is gone with the wind. Ske recorded with them for a new album, but the band broke up during those sessions. Very very sad, their album is outstanding.

^^
    Laura from Garamond did this with Zago (and might still do)

My mum thaught me a lot of wise and usefull things :-)

The new Murple one is a nice somewhat short synphonic prog Album. Of course it is not as good as the 70s one, but
    I like it. There are still better albums from Italy this year, though.
    You are a good son

I'm going to have to find this one - Io Sono is top shelf!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Narrow Pass - A new Day (coming soon)

Mauro Montobbio's band now with original Eris Pluvia vocalist Alessandro Serri.

Guests:
    John Hackett - flute
    Edmondo Romano - recorders and soprano sax (Picchio dal Pozzo, Höstsonaten, Eris Pluvia)
    Elisa Montaldo - piano (TdC, Narrow Pass)
    Fabio Gremo - bass (TdC, Ianva, Daedalus)

Periplo a nice overlooked Project from Luca Scherani:

http://mellowrecords.bandcamp.com/al...passeggero-new

Had the same experience with Malibran disliked their early stuff (somewhat metal Jethro Tull), I really love the latest two. Oltre L'Ignoto is wonderfull.
    I don't find the early Malibran to be metallish in any way, nor Tull-ish, other than having flute. I do think they improved on subsequent albums, but I really like all their stuff.

While I have your attention: Pandora is another of my favourite modern day Italian bands... do you know of future plans for them? They seem to do an album every two or three years...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I don't find the early Malibran to be metallish in any way, nor Tull-ish, other than having flute. I do think they improved on subsequent albums, but I really like all their stuff.

While I have your attention: Pandora is another of my favourite modern day Italian bands... do you know of future plans for them? They seem to do an album every two or three years...
    I was refering to Malibrans debut, they got much better later.

Pandora where busy with opening their own studio latley. Hope they will use it for some new music soon.

Not really my kind of music, some Neo Prog: Silver Keys new album coming next year

Nuova Era started recording a new album...