Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cream

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, what I've heard anyway which isn't all of it... and yeah, the live stuff too although they might be a hiar better.
    I think the drum sound on studio side of Goodbye is tremendous. Absolutely huge.

I think it's only Fresh Cream that suffers truly distracting production in all respects. And it's really only the stereo mix that is the problem. That panning is sometimes just totally illogical and strips the band's power, IMO.

Banned
    I was fortunate enough to see one of the reunion shows at MSG in '05, and although Jack was still recovering and they were slower than in the old days, it was just a fucking thrill to see those three guys on stage and to hear those tunes played live. Clapton stepped up his game, too. He played his ass off.

A funny aside -
    Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) was dancing in the front row with a smile on his face the whole time. It was something to see.

Generally I love their sound and the tunes, my concerns about the 4 CD box 'Those were the days' was only that, soundwise, they could have done a lot better, and since they skipped the IMO best version of Politician, its not true when they claim its complete works + extra.

Speaking of the drums, I love "World of Pain" and I listened for so long that I got used to the absolutely sloppy drumming that goes on here. I simply didnt notice untill someone who didnt know Cream at all (yes its possible) said: 'What a lousy drummer !' I was at first appalled almost angry, but must admit after paying attention that its true - and a bit strange that it slipped through the production. But all these almost 40 years I never noticed, it just sounded that way, so I accepted it as deliberate.

I have no troubles hearing "World of Pain" now, it doesnt bother me, its a great tune anyway.

'Fresh Cream' is a terrific, no-nonsense debut album. As noted, it's hugely let down by the stereo mix- surely one of the worst of the time (and that's saying something!), there's no unity to it at all. This, I think, is the number one album of that era that deserves a full CD release in mono.

baker's drums sounded great on the Graham bond Organization stuff just before this.Great, tasteful playing too.I think he had his own home made kit then.

the first two cream albums didn't have a good drum production though and because he was so tom oriented it could sound flat.The live stuff sounds find to me though, great tom and snare sound.He and Bruce were such an interesting rhythm section for that time, the mix of complex polyrhythmic drumming(more so on the live stuff rather than the studio where he'd often just quickly lay down the bare bones that worked for the song) and intricate contrapuntal bass lines in rock improv\jamming was something quite new.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I'm just listening on laptop speakers but yeah, that's better. Some of it is just the way he tunes them and will never change but I''ll give the Goodbye album a listen...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm just listening on laptop speakers but yeah, that's better. Some of it is just the way he tunes them and will never change but I''ll give the Goodbye album a listen...
    Well that was just for the benefit of the thread, since that's the live performance I was discussing to begin with ...

For "drum sound" in studio, I'd simply reference "Badge":

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    How about Hendrix and Peter Green?
    I was speaking of Clapton's immediate contemporaries at the time of Fresh Cream (late '66). RUX came out the better part of a year later and the first Fleetwood Mac LP came out two years later, a long time.

For me, Hendrix blew Cream away on pretty much every score, but that's not to diminish what Cream accomplished (just that Hendrix was nonpareil)....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Fresh Cream' is a terrific, no-nonsense debut album.
    +1. Along with "Beano", my favorite Clapton with regard to his sound; LP through a Marshall gives it that hard tone. Outtasite.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

If heavy metal was a tree, Cream wouldd be the trunk of the tree (and Hendrix too).

I've played a few Cream tunes on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice, notably As You Said, Deserted Cities Of The Heart, and N.S.U. Some cool stuff on some of those records. Clapton got some pretty cool guitar tones with those Gibsons pumped through the Marshall stacks. Always dug the way the psychedelic SG looked too (and I guess so did a lot of other people, because there's loads of folks making money refinishing SG's to match Eric's guitar).

Yeah, Eric gets a lot of flak for some crappy music over the years. But he could seriously jam as well as anyone then or since. The three of them getting into that zone when they played live, where they're just going off in their own direction doing their own thing. It sounds like total chaos, but it meshes beautifully.

This is one of my favorite versions of "I'm So Glad"

I don't have any real Cream albums but I have a cheap "greatist Hits" album by them. It has all the usual Cream classics. I swear, I never get tired of White Room, Sunshine, Tales Of Brave Ullysis, Badge, Spoonfull, etc. This is Eric "God" Clapton's legacy. He's one of the founders of heavy metal whether he likes it or not. !

Count me as a fan. Having recently seen the Ginger Baker documentary I've been listening to a lot of Cream.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Count me as a fan. Having recently seen the Ginger Baker documentary I've been listening to a lot of Cream.
    What doc is that?

I think Ginger was a hell of a drummer. I read/heard recently (not sure if it was on one of the Sabbath threads or some other site) that Rick Rubin (a producer) wanted Ginger Baker to be the drummer for Black Sabbath when Bill Ward dropped out. Would it have worked? I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Have seen it twice. Absolutely fascinating. Just saw it the second time the other night when I then got the itch to hear some Cream and started this thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I think Ginger was a hell of a drummer. I read/heard recently (not sure if it was on one of the Sabbath threads or some other site) that Rick Rubin (a producer) wanted Ginger Baker to be the drummer for Black Sabbath when Bill Ward dropped out. Would it have worked? I think so.
    Stylistically, I think it could have worked.

But realistically, I'm not sure. Watching Beware Of Mr. Baker it seems evident that Ginger Baker has some issues. Having to record drums on one of the most anticipated comeback albums of the year by a band he's never worked with may have been a demand that would have been beyond reason. Not sure ...

I didn't think it could happen realistically but on paper it looked like a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    it seems evident that Ginger Baker has some issues.
    Yeah, we're talking about the guy who got fired from very prominent band he was in because he tried to get the bassist sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I didn't think it could happen realistically but on paper it looked like a good fit.
    I agree because Baker swings.

The same is true for Bill Ward.

Brad Wilk apparently has quite a bit of swing and that's surely a big part of why he was used on the album.

This "swing factor" is why many Sabbath fans will never accept Tommy Clufetos on drums as a good fit. He is incredible in many ways and will play his ass off on this tour, but some feel that he simply doesn't have the right feel for music that was originally recorded with Ward, because the jazzy components are crucial to that sound.

Bill Ward is great. The Sabbath rhythm section was just sick.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    What doc is that?
    It's called "Beware of Mr. Baker"

http://bewareofmrbaker.com/