Thread: Flaming Lips - The Terror

Flaming Lips - The Terror

I've been really getting into the new Flaming Lips album, The Terror. It's super dark, droney, and synthy in an almost Kraut-rock sort-of way.
    Any one else a fan of the album?

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-terror-mw0002485494

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I just listened to it for the first time today. Color me impressed.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

your desription makes me want to run and grab it right now.

As you should!

Btw, I love your moniker.

Aww man! I went last Friday to FYE and they had it at $7.99 :-/ should have grab it
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

I picked it up day of release...love it. It seems to very much be an extention of Embryonic. I love the fact that, the more popular they become, the less commercial their music is getting.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I picked it up day of release...love it. It seems to very much be an extention of Embryonic. I love the fact that, the more popular they become, the less commercial their music is getting.
    Awesome!

This will be the 2nd Flaming Lips album I'll get after "Embryonic". I think that they are getting more interesting as time goes...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

My wife informed me that Black Sabbath are going to perform on TV on the CBS crime show "CSI" tonight. I wasn't even planning on watching TV tonight, but I want to see Black Sabbath. For those who like to stay up late, a friend informed me that Flaming Lips will perform on Jimmy Fallon's show. So you see that without other people, I wouldn't know anything about what was on television, and I could get more sleep.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Flaming Lips perform "Heroes" on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon 15 May 2013:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....heroes/n36948/

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I have it, but it is such a massive downer of an album that I've only gotten through it a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I have it, but it is such a massive downer of an album that I've only gotten through it a couple of times.
    Like most good albums, I see/hear it as an album that takes numerous listens to "get".
    Or........maybe it's just not for you?

I really appreciate how all of their albums (especially from 'Clouds Taste Metallic' - 'The Terror') are different from each other. They're not afraid of taking chances.

I'm told the Flaming Lips performed two songs on 15 May for Jimmy Fallon's audience. "Heroes" was aired on TV. This performance of "Try To Explain" from The Terror was cut:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....ry-to-explain/

Just home from seeing the Lips. Amazing show!!! Great songs, lights, perfromance, etc.. If they come your way, definitely check them out.

The Terror is indeed dark, apocalyptic and very dense . . .

Great band that's not afraid to push themselves into new directions. Live = one of the best shows on the road, serious fun abounds.

I spoke with Wayne before the show in September of 2011 (here in Raleigh) - - - and referenced seeing them for the first time (1996) in Houston . .. Wayne said "FUCK YEAH I remember that show, the fucking air-conditioning was out in that club and I sweated my balls off" !!! What a nice guy - we laughed our asses off !!!

My son is a huge FL fan - and Wayne was super cool in talking with him and myself about music before their show - - -

They've had a few bumps in the road - but have really blossomed in the past few years with their evolved musical pathway . . .

~JK
    Last edited by WHORG; 07-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Wayne was a guest DJ on All Songs Considered . . . Wayne does good interviews.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...coyne-guest-dj
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Wayne's got his own comic book coming out soon -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000009

My boy (pictured above) sent Wayne copies (scans) of his own comic that he's included inside the "music styled underground fanzine" that he's created for his high-school crowd ($3 monthly X 73 subscribers) - - - Wayne actually sent back private emails to my boy in this regard, and they've been communicating ever since 2011 - - - talk about a nice guy right there.

We had the chance to talk for a long time before the 2011 Raleigh show about all kinds of stuff like that . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    I've been really getting into the new Flaming Lips album, The Terror. It's super dark, droney, and synthy in an almost Kraut-rock sort-of way.
    Any one else a fan of the album?

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-terror-mw0002485494
    Love this album! It is really dark so I have be in in the mood to listen to it. Definitely one of my favorite releases this year.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com