Page 16 of 89 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

I remember that Cirith Ungol was mentioned a few pages back, and I saw they have a new song....

https://cirithungolofficial.bandcamp.com/releases

Might've mentioned already, I've been losing track of all the albums I've listened to recently in YT. Really enjoying a German group called Jeronimo. It's heavy/proto/metal from the early 70s. Into their third album, Time Ride.

I'm going through the Anvil discography. I didn't know they were so fast and technical. Pound For Pound and Worth The Weight are speed masterpieces...

NP: Anvil......Plugged In Permanent.
    The album cover is hilarious. It's an anvil dropped on an acoustic guitar all smashed and broken. It's like they were giving the middle finger to MTV and the whole "unplugged" phenomenon........

Just heard an obscure, early 70s band called Road. Noel Redding was in the band. It's bell-bottomed, wah-wah guitar metal. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just heard an obscure, early 70s band called Road. Noel Redding was in the band. It's bell-bottomed, wah-wah guitar metal. Pretty cool.
    More like heavy psych. And definitely not as good as Dust!

Now listening to Wytch Hazel on Bandcamp. There's some Wishbone Ash and Thin Lizzy in the mix but something else I can't put my finger on.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    More like heavy psych. And definitely not as good as Dust!
    Hard Attack wasn't that heavy compared to the first album (imo). It's diverse. There's even a country song in there. It's good but not as heavy as the album cover would lead you to believe.
    Toad blows them away completely.

Hard Attack wasn't that heavy compared to the first album (imo). It's diverse. There's even a country song in there. It's good but not as heavy as the album cover would lead you to believe.
    Toad blows them away completely.
    Not a chance. Hard Attack earns its title, right down to the thrashy impromptu bass solo at the end of Suicide. Toad's alright, but I wasn't that impressed by the singer-guitarist.

New Voivod is out.

^ Cool track. Technical and thrashy. Been meaning to explore Voivod.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    ^ Cool track. Technical and thrashy. Been meaning to explore Voivod.
    Meh.

Horrible vocals are nearly generic in most of the contemporary "nu-metal" I'm hearing these days. Same, samey same all around. No real guitar leads and all the recording dials are cranked to 11.

Just MHO, your mileage may vary of course....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Now listening to Wytch Hazel on Bandcamp. There's some Wishbone Ash and Thin Lizzy in the mix but something else I can't put my finger on.
    Just heard Prelude. I think it's their first album. Yeah, it's drenched in Argus-era, Wishbone Ash. Lot's of acoustic guitar, vocal harmonies, great electric guitar harmonies. There's even a little organ and mellotron in there. I like it. On to their second album now.

Listening to a retro, speed metal band from Brazil called......Fast Evil. They sing in English. The singer sounds like a young Geddy Lee (if Geddy was a Speed Metal vocalist.....). It's okay. It hits the spot after a long, stressful work week, and a bucket of longnecks.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Meh.

Horrible vocals are nearly generic in most of the contemporary "nu-metal" I'm hearing these days. Same, samey same all around. No real guitar leads and all the recording dials are cranked to 11.

Just MHO, your mileage may vary of course....
    Voivod's been around since 1982, been a huge influence to many players, and they've never been about leads.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Voivod's been around since 1982, been a huge influence to many players, and they've never been about leads.
    Beat me to it.

omg

Necrophagist + Clarinet = Epic Win

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    A huge influence?

So these guys are responsible for all the trendy horror movie style vocals and lead free metal these days?

Sort of explains why I thought that song sucked....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Which Voivod album is generally considered their breakthrough? If I pick one Voivod album to listen to today, which should it be?

Many consider Voivod's Killing Technology to be the breakthrough. That and the next two, Dimension Hatross and Nothingface, many consider their golden era.

Nothingface
    Regards,

Duncan

I listened to more than half of Killing Technology. Interesting guitar playing. Sort of like if Robert Fripp was a thrash guitarist. Honestly, it didn't click with me, but I'll try another album. Nothingface seems to be an important Voivod album.

In the meanwhile, I got this album that popped up on my main, YT page.......I think they're German, called Tiger B Smith. The vocals aren't good but the Sabbath riffology is pretty good. They kinda sound like garage Sabbath...... The album is called Tiger Rock, and the album cover is as silly as the title. It rocks.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 09-29-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Listening to Nothingface right now. Woof. Big difference between Killing Technology. Loving it. It's stop-on-a-dime, prog/thrash.

More than halfway through. Very technical, busy, adventurous, on an almost Gentle Giant level, but thrashy and metallic....... I love it. I should buy the damn thing.

Voivod's comeback after Piggy's (guitar) death is excellent. 2013's Target Earth.