Thread: Elton John, "Blue Moves"

Elton John, "Blue Moves"

I reckon this might very well be EJ's most interesting album. It gets slammed regularly - and it certainly lacks the great pop hooks of some of the others - but there is a real depth to the songs IMO. They are growers, every one of them.

I like the light-fusion of the instrumentals and the way Ray Cooper's great tuned percussion is highlighted.

And I'm cerain that no list of Elton classic songs can omit "Chameleon", "Idol", "Cage the Songbird" and "Crazy Water". And I don't think Elton ever sang better.

It's not perfect: dominating the start with the tedious "Tonight" was a mistake, and by and large I'd choose Tumbleweed Connection as his masterpiece, but I find that this is aging remarkably well.

Sending some love to the ugly child of EJ's 70s.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I think it's one of his best.

If this is the album I'm thinking of... I picked it recently in a used record store and likewise found some incredible stuff on it.. For whatever reason I never owned it along with the other releases from that era. Maybe it just never got the press Goodbye Yellow Brick, or Captain Fantastic.. etc. You gotta give it to Elton he was a writing machine for a few years.. constantly cranking out song after song, album after album... Maybe that's why when he and Lennon hooked up John told him... "you've got to slow down or you will burn yourself out."

I've tried and tried and tried to enjoy this one, but I've not been able to warm up to it. I refuse to get rid of it, though, hoping that maybe one day it'll click.

I don't know that I've ever even heard it, oddly. I think I kind of burned out on RotW. I suppose I need to give it a listen...

This is on my list of albums that I have to give another listen to. I am a huge fan of Elton's 70s material, but I think this one is just "OK", I don't feel all the love.

I keep on meaning to get this. I remember at one point it was OOP. Guess I'll get it soon.

Here is a review I wrote quite a few years ago:

"Blue Moves" is an album that really seems to divide Elton John fans. On it's original vinyl it was a sprawling two disc set, that tried to cover a lot of musical ground. The album is more introspective than most of what had come before it, and rocked considerably less than Elton's previous effort "Rock Of The Westies". The consensus seems to be among fans, that had the material here been pared down to a single disc, it might have made one really good album. I tend to agree with this view. Although there is some really strong stuff to be found here, there is also quite a bit of filler. I do like the fact that Elton experimented with a lot of different styles here including several instrumentals that showed off his piano playing ability. The album contained only one hit single, but it was one of Elton's best ballads in "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word". Album cut highlights include "Tonight", "Between Seventeen And Twenty", and the rocking "One Horse Town". Another track that I like is "Idol" in which Elton describes a 50's singer whose star has faded. I find it ironic that this song could almost describe how many people feel about Elton today. The last track "Bite Your Lip" is a rock / dance track that I hated at first, but damn if the chorus won't get out of my head. Overall "Blue Moves" does not rank up with Elton's classics, and is a bit long in the tooth, but I think it is worth owning and has some very good material if you can wade through the filler.

Steve Sly

This was my favorite EJ for years. That title is now for Captain Fantastic. BUT, I love this album to pieces. Great tunes throughout (I even like Tonite), and Elton's band is killin. He is also at the top of his game with the singing. The album and CD I have a re very different, my LP has like 6 tracks not on the CD, including the amazing Cage The Songbird! There is even a prog instrumental, which rocks. Idol is also my favorite EJ tune, period.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Love this album. Not EJ's best or most even, but very interesting. Tonight is an absolutely beautiful song set to lyrics of a guy who just wants some peace, and sleep with his significant other while reassuring them at the same time. If you have been in a relationship, you can relate. One Horse Town rocks hard and James Newton Howard's orchestration is excellent. Blue Moves also has one of EJ's biggest ballads in Sorry Seems to Be The Hardest Word. Crazy Water was a minor hit. Cage The Songbird was to Edith Piaf as Candle in the Wind is to Marilyn Monroe. Idol is another favorite done in a lounge song style. I could go thru each song but I think I will wrap up by saying that the playing by EJ and the band is stellar. Elton and Bernie have created a rather blue album in mood and Elton has experimented with many musical styles. There are 3 instrumentals on the double album and Elton allows his band to have more influence then in any other album. I've heard many say it would be a great single album but the other songs mostly are growers. Not much filler here IMHO. Not my favorite Elton disc (that would be Captain Fantastic) but within the top 5.
    Last edited by Tangram; 04-25-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    This was my favorite EJ for years. That title is now for Captain Fantastic. BUT, I love this album to pieces. Great tunes throughout (I even like Tonite), and Elton's band is killin. He is also at the top of his game with the singing. The album and CD I have a re very different, my LP has like 6 tracks not on the CD, including the amazing Cage The Songbird! There is even a prog instrumental, which rocks. Idol is also my favorite EJ tune, period.
    A great album. The Out of the Blue instrumental really rocks. I wasn't expecting that. The original single disc CD cut 4 songs to make it fit. A later double disc CD was issued with all of the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    I've tried and tried and tried to enjoy this one, but I've not been able to warm up to it. I refuse to get rid of it, though, hoping that maybe one day it'll click.
    If I could pick just one song from the album to wave in front of someone and say "You must listen to this", it would be "Idol. The jazzy chords and Elton's vocals are stunning IMO. It's certainly not for everyone, however - and there's nothing on the album that jumps out the way so many of his hits did on earlier ones.

These days I'd characterise it as "Hard to like but easy to love"

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    If I could pick just one song from the album to wave in front of someone and say "You must listen to this", it would be "Idol. The jazzy chords and Elton's vocals are stunning IMO. It's certainly not for everyone, however - and there's nothing on the album that jumps out the way so many of his hits did on earlier ones.
    Thanks, John. I will give it a spin. Last night, I listened to the first CD a couple of times. A few songs started to reveal some appeal - Chameleon and Cage the Songbird. Tonight was also nice, but perhaps a tad sappy. One thing that struck me immediately was how great the CD sounds. I have the 2CD remastered version from 1997. Wow, it really sounds fantastic! Tonight, I'll move on to the second CD.

A wonderful album, has some great songs on it. I'm in the Tonight camp, I absolutely positively love the song, Elton is pouring his heart out on it, brilliant. Other faves are the rocking One Horse Town, the beautiful Gage the Songbird, the syncopated Crazy Water and the dance-happy Bite Your Lip. His most varied album, stylistically-wise, and to my ears has more than enough quality material to justify the double-album release. A must-have in my EJ collection.

Peace,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ajcmixer View Post
    A wonderful album, has some great songs on it. I'm in the Tonight camp, I absolutely positively love the song, Elton is pouring his heart out on it, brilliant. Other faves are the rocking One Horse Town, the beautiful Gage the Songbird, the syncopated Crazy Water and the dance-happy Bite Your Lip. His most varied album, stylistically-wise, and to my ears has more than enough quality material to justify the double-album release. A must-have in my EJ collection.

Peace,
    Alex
    I also love "Tonight" and think it is one of the best tracks on the album, but I think I like the live version even better than the studio.

Steve Sly