Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis - And Then There Were Three

Genesis - And Then There Were Three

A jamming tune segways into an emotional tune.....This album minus "Da Man" still resonates with me after all these years and will cont
    to do so...1978 we were lucky to have 2 not 1 great albums...Haters be hating....lol....Who's with me.....

I'm curious why you didn't just post in this thread instead of starting a new one? http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...php/2140-ATTWT

Ahhhh Shit....The anal police are after me....Cause I didn't see it....Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rr

Yeah, it's my bad.

Hint: You'll never see anything if you don't look.

This is where I jumped in for Genesis at age 16. Was also the first tour of Genesis I'd seen. My biggest musical regret was never seeing PG and SH with the band.
    The Musical Box doing Selling England was as close as I could get.

Strong album IMHO.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw the tour in Montreal and it was excellent but nowhere as good as Genesis with Steve in the line-up. There is a lot to like about 3, uneven, but with some classic Genesis flourishes.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

This must be the fifth thread in about as many months about this album ! !!

First & last time I saw Genesis was on this tour & i didnt enjoy it! The set list was good so it must have been because Hackett wasnt on stage !
    As for the album i'll give it a generous 6/10.
    Last edited by Rufus; 04-21-2013 at 12:05 AM.

This would be the album where Genesis jumped the shark.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    This must be the fifth thread in about as many months about this album ! !!
    Yep; it's been a popular topic here for the last half year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    This would be the album where Genesis jumped the shark.
    I don't feel that they exactly "jumped the shark" with it, but they did start sliding downhill. It was their first album since Foxtrot where I only liked half of it as opposed to the majority of it. I felt the same about Duke. Then with ABACAB, I liked about a quarter of it. After that, it got pretty dismal... at least for me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Great album. I like it all. IMO Your Own Special Way from W&W is worse than anything on ATTW3.

I love this album, despite it falling just outside of what I consider the "best" string of Genesis albums from 1971-1977 (I often tell people, it doesn't matter whether it's Gabriel or Collins. It's the 'Hackett Years'!) ... anyway, this album still has a lot of great moments for me, and "Down And Out" is in my top 3 Genesis tracks of all time. What a fantastic opener.

I've never been wild about "Ballad Of Big" though - I can't put my finger on why, it just doesn't click with me. My version of the album would replace that with "The Day The Light Went Out".

I certainly don't think they 'jumped the shark' with this one - it's not like it has "Illegal Alien" on it! :P
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

"Undertow" is just so beautiful. I wonder how it would have been with "From the undertow" part that was used on "ACF" added. For the elitists amongst us, probably the difference between being prog and not prog!

Love this album, its dark production, condensed arrangements. One of my favs, even though it's nowhere near their best. Funny how that works...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    One of my favs, even though it's nowhere near their best. Funny how that works...
    Indeed. I've often said one of the main reasons it appeals to me so much - at least, when I'm in the mood for it, is that there's no other Genesis album that sounds like this one does.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

ATTWT has a lot to like. Its writing and production might not come across as "worked on" or solid as W&W's but for example there is an interesting shared sound on both albums which I don't hear much on their previous albums, as seen in tracks like Motherlode, Lady Lies, Wot, Eleventh Earl. I'm pretty sure Banks says in one of those video interviews that he and Rutherford were the primary writers on W&W (even though Hackett did write quite a bit on W&W), and basically I think what the two of them were doing (especially what Banks was doing) in W&W soundwise continued in ATTWT, like the example of the 4 songs above.

Strangely, the opening 1-2 minutes of ATTWT is among the weakest parts of the album -- the writing/performance/mix just doesn't sound "put together" well. On ATTWT, several songs may sound less proggy or accomplished, but you can clearly hear the similarities with W&W soundwise, and IMO this definitely plays a role in why ATTWT is an interesting album. Until last year, actually I had heard only half of these two albums, and then suddenly I listened to both a lot in the car, and I think this helped see they're pretty similar in some ways.

Also, I know some often write they miss Hackett with the release of ATTWT, but there is another side to that story: look at "In That Quiet Earth" (or even Rooftops) -- its sound is *very* Hackett, it's *very* close to several solo Hackett songs I can list -- it's a song that sounds really dominated by his style. There's plenty of this sound in Hackett albums very closely, so I wouldn't say this particular sound wasn't missed, since there's plenty of it in his solo albums. What's perhaps missed is his presence in tunes written mainly by Banks and Rutherford.

Motherlode from ATTWT is one of my favorites because it opens that 1980 Musica concert from London. Least favorite from ATTWT for me is probably Undertow -- both lyrics and music are kinda too bleak together.

It's very tight, lapidary, cohesive album. Good, not great maybe, but solid, beautiful album, full of dramatic tunes, along with more lightweight stuff. A desperate experience for them, got dropped to trio, but it happened, and the first two albums in a new format weren't bad at all.

I saw them at the Forum in Los Angeles in April 1978 for this tour and I was bored to tears. I've never liked going to hear bands that sounded exactly like the records live (see also: Rush) and I thought Follow You, Follow Me would never end. They've always been my least favorite of the major prog bands, it was that concert that prompted me to seriously check out the Sex Pistols and The Clash and all that, to see what the fuss was about. Thanks Genesis!
    ...or you could love

Has some good moments. Some of you don't like Ballad of Big and I don't, either, but mostly for one line. For some reason the part about the "all-star Indian tribe" bugs me. Were they voted onto the tribe by other Indians? The press? The fans?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Ahhhh Shit....The anal police are after me....Cause I didn't see it....Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rr
    Hint:use the search function next time. It's your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Hint:use the search function next time. It's your friend.
    Thanx, never thought of either.....

Still like this one a lot. Yea, it is a little bit more commercial, but still a lot of good stuff to be found.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Still like this one a lot. Yea, it is a little bit more commercial, but still a lot of good stuff to be found.

Steve Sly
    I agree with this guy.

This album is my intro to Genesis and I wasn't disappointed. One of my favorite Genesis tracks is Undertow. The Lady Lies, Burning Rope, Many too Many, Deep in the Motherlode, BoB, Snowbound all very good with the first track being excellent. I'm a fan of FYFM. The only week tracks for me are Nemo and Joe. Nothing bad here for me. Once you go back and realize that Hackett was a phenomenal guitarist, you can imagine what might have been but this is a very good album.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I'm a fan of FYFM.
    I'm not. The only song in the album I used to skip.

In retrospect, this album is kind of better than I originally accepted it as... But my disappointment was real at the time... I'd been a Gen fan since 75... and ATTWT was totally different and really not meeting my expectations of a Genesis album...

Only FYFM is really bad... for Genesis, that is... I'd have accepted it from many other non-prog bands...
    Last edited by Trane; 04-21-2013 at 06:12 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.