Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flying Colors to record 2nd effort in a "few weeks"

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate for a moment: not only is the music catchy and relatively radio friendly but - once they've invested as much time and attention to the project as Bill detailed in his post - wouldn't you expect that they would only be doing those things with the hope of this thing taking off and reaching a wider audience? I'm sure their attitude is that if/when it takes off they want it to be radio ready...or perhaps more likely the mastering is seen as a requirement (however unfortunate) for the product to achieve that initial spark of success...
    Yes, agree with all of that. Which begs the question - why wasn't it better promoted?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Evans View Post
    Mascot pushed two singles to radio, internationally: "Shoulda Coulda Woulda" and "Love." They received a lot of airplay, but nothing stuck. "Kayla" should be have been the single.
    Could not agree more. "The Storm" would have worked, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Evans View Post
    There were several comments about the intended audience. My original intention, at the start, was to make a artistic pop record for a general audience. It would be deep, musically, but have mainstream appeal. And true to form, the band accomplished this brilliantly.

In my opinion, no matter how crazy it sounds, there is place for great music in mainstream culture. Certainly, there's a place for Lil' Wayne. But there's also a place for "Good Vibrations" and "Carry on Wayward Son."

The world is already blessed with a lot of fantastic prog albums. Some of them from the guys in Flying Colors. It's been done and fortunately, it will continue to be.

But wouldn't you like that quality of music to be mainstream? Yes it's a difficult task, but isn't that what great music is about—taking chances to make great music the world hasn't heard? It was a huge risk to do this album, and I have the most profound respect for the band and Peter for undertaking it. "Difficult" isn't really a word in their vocabulary.

Bill
    Absolutely want this album to be mainstream. I was screaming for it at the time, and talked it up wherever I could.

But the problem is that radio is dead. And I don't see how a little label like Mascot can move an album to mainstream success. I mean, you go on their website and they don't even list Flying Colors as one of their artists. It's hard to see how they even care about this band. Obviously, I know very little about the business, but I was extremely disappointed that this album didn't chart, resulting in a larger world tour.

Again, thanks for your insights, Bill.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I thought that he was their manager.
    Perhaps changing the name of the band to "The Bill Evans Band" would help assure pop success?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Perhaps changing the name of the band to "The Bill Evans Band" would help assure pop success?
    He is not their manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    "The Storm" would have worked, too.
    Yeah, that to me was the obvious one. It was the one song from the album I played to any interested non-prog friends.

Definitely "Kayla" and "The Storm"....

Yeah…Peter Collins, Mike and I wanted "Kayla" and "The Storm." (When Mike picks a song, don't argue!) Those were the ones to go with. I don't fault Mascot, though…they spent a ton of money and really tried to promote the singles they believed in, and I thank them for it. It's ultimately their decision. They are a great label and invested (and continue to inset) heavily in Flying Colors. Certainly more so than the major label I spoke with. Probably the best I've ever worked with.

I'm going to check out of this thread, but if anyone wants to email me, I'm bill@billevansmedia.com.

Thank you,

Bill

It is funny to read how some are so impatient to get music into their hands (ears). What is the need for this? Isn't there plenty of new music from many other artists that fill the gaps?

I think it's more of a "you're done with it, I want to give you money for it, why can't I have it" kinda thing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, isn't there an iPhone APP where we can download new albums as soon as they are done, or even better, before they are done? Maybe a pre-mix APP, or a demo APP? Maybe make each song downloadable separately as soon as they are ready. Waiting for full albums, or bands and their labels to release stuff is so 1975.

I would prefer individual tracks...

I think it's more of a "you're done with it, I want to give you money for it, why can't I have it" kinda thing.
    Yes, but what's wrong with waiting?

A manager doesn't even need to reply to justify the timetable. Shouldn't it be enough that "band" will release their cd on "this date/timeframe"?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Yeah, isn't there an iPhone APP where we can download new albums as soon as they are done, or even better, before they are done? Maybe a pre-mix APP, or a demo APP? Maybe make each song downloadable separately as soon as they are ready. Waiting for full albums, or bands and their labels to release stuff is so 1975.

I think Martin answered your question, Gruno. No one wants to wait for anything these days.

I think Martin answered your question, Gruno. No one wants to wait for anything these days.
    It does get sad, really. Many impatient people who can't wait for entertainment. It gets worse when I see people huffing & puffing for waiting in line at a grocery store or post office -- and the line is less than a 5 minute wait