Thread: Depeche Mode: Delta Machine.

Depeche Mode: Delta Machine.

Better than the two preceding albums. Still not as strong melodically as in their heyday but a brave and interesting album. Much warmer then in a long. Has a strong "Kraftwerk Computerwelt album" vibe to it. Electronic but not hard in it's sound.

Btw if you are getting this on iTunes go for the deluxe version. It has some great bonus tracks.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

It's a 'good' album, but not great. I can't shake the feeling that they are just coasting on this one. Dave is in fine voice and there are a few killer tracks, it just has a laziness to it that I find disappointing. Like Martin just isn't trying hard enough to be innovative. The synth sounds are just so standard issue and uninspired. I much preferred the last album to this one. But I'm sure they're gonna be awesome live as usual.

Their albums always take a little time to grow on me, and I always end up loving them. Delta Machine is no exception, and I'm certain that with time, this one will be a rich, rewarding listening experience..
    Last edited by Superfly; 04-18-2013 at 06:41 PM.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    The synth sounds are just so standard issue and uninspired.
    This is where i disagree. I thought the two previous albums were harsh and unnecessary distorted in all the wrong ways. I love the solemn sound of the new album. To me many of the songs are almost like little "sound poems". Which is why i think it's a brave album. Instead of goimg over the top i think they were really tasty on Delta Machine.

"sound poems" - Nice, yeah I hear that. I really tend to enjoy the harsh and brittle sounds, but the soft pads, blips and bleeps have their place as well. The two combined, the smooth and distorted, are one of their hallmarks. Brave, well, people who work for the bomb squad are brave . It does seem to be getting better with each new listen. Not a lot of Martin's jumbo guitar on this one either, I kind of miss that as well. It's fitting in nicely along side Nick Caves "Push The Sky Away" and the Flaming Lips 'The Terror".
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    "sound poems" - Nice, yeah I hear that. I really tend to enjoy the harsh and brittle sounds, but the soft pads, blips and bleeps have their place as well. The two combined, the smooth and distorted, are one of their hallmarks. Brave, well, people who work for the bomb squad are brave . It does seem to be getting better with each new listen. Not a lot of Martin's jumbo guitar on this one either, I kind of miss that as well. It's fitting in nicely along side Nick Caves "Push The Sky Away" and the Flaming Lips 'The Terror".
    Well if they'd just get Alan Wilder back ;-)

I saw the video for "Heaven" and wasn't too impressed. I'll probably still get the album, anyway.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    I saw the video for "Heaven" and wasn't too impressed. I'll probably still get the album, anyway.
    Fortunately Heaven is one of the albums weaker songs.

Keep meaning to buy a DM album but every time I hear anything on the radio, or see them them on TV it puts me off !!! They were on the Jonathon Ross show last week & deliberatly watched it because I they knew they were on but they were just so bland !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Fortunately Heaven is one of the albums weaker songs.
    That's good to know. Why is it the single, I wonder?

As for DM being bland, I have to say that seeing them in concert on the Exciter tour was perhaps the least exciting rock concert I've ever been to. Although I do joke with my older son that that's why he likes DM and 80s synth pop so much, because my wife was pregnant with him when we went.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Keep meaning to buy a DM album but every time I hear anything on the radio, or see them them on TV it puts me off !!! They were on the Jonathon Ross show last week & deliberatly watched it because I they knew they were on but they were just so bland !!!
    Get Violater or Songs Of Faith And Devotion!

Thank you !!!

Thank you !!!
    You are welcome :-)

I agree with Kim. The Music for the Masses/Violator/SoFaD trio is their high point.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    I agree with Kim. The Music for the Masses/Violator/SoFaD trio is their high point.
    I agree with you agreeing with me lol.

Banned
    I second Songs Of Faith And Devotion, because that's the only Depeche Mode that I have.

I agree with you agreeing with me lol.
    I agree with them about agreeing with one another and about what they're agreeing on.

Does anybody else agree to agree or does anybody agree to diagree before I take the plunge ?

Banned
    Does anybody else agree to agree or does anybody agree to diagree before I take the plunge ?
    You should take the plunge. I found some of their CDs at Barnes & Noble for $5 each. So, you won't have wasted too much money if you don't like them.

Jon Neudorf
    They're a great band. Even their first "Speak and Spell" is worth having. Looking forward to hearing the new one.

Regards,
    Jon