Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nik Bartsch's Ronin Live

I bought this! It's great. The only other band I know of who can take me on this kind of journey is Magma.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    And according to their official fb, it seems Mobile's still been active as recently as April.
    That must be a revival, as last time I saw Nik he told me Mobile was not working, nice to see him bring in it back! Thanks for the info!
    John

chalkpie
    This just came in the mail today. Will report, sirs.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

take the time to absorb

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Did the 'Rhythm Clan' release anything?
    Not as yet. Unfortunately.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    the-dogs-bollocks8.jpg
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ Haha, that took me a minute!

chalkpie
    ^ I'm still not getting that! I might need explaining.

Pink dog balls?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's "The Dogs Bollocks"

English slang for, "its really excellent"
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    ^ Ha! OK I was close at least with dogs and balls.

I think Nik Bartsch needs a tune called "Pink Dog Balls" now.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Not as yet. Unfortunately.
    Damn.

Thanks for the answer though.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

chalkpie
    Disc one tasted. Love it! Great live engineering as well. This music is an experience akin to Magma in a way.

Disc one tasted. Love it! Great live engineering as well. This music is an experience akin to Magma in a way.
    The sound is indeed awesome but if I am not mistaken there are a few spots were for the very first time on a ECM album I was bothered by loudness and clipping ... and I am sure it has to do with the mastering
    and yes this music has a spiritual dimension with even moments of trance

chalkpie
    ^Hmmm....didn't hear any clipping yet...ignorance is bliss

GREAT music.

The peaks on the later part Modul 45 for example 10:06 , 10:52 - 11:11
    its weird cause overall this is one of the best sounding live albums I own

Frankie I am wondering how you will re act to the studio albums since your first exposure is to the live recording
    I first heard the Wilisau Jazz Festival recording and later when hearing the studio version on Stoa they seemed to have less "sparK"
    It often happens that the first version one hears remain the favorites

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    The peaks on the later part Modul 45 for example 10:06 , 10:52 - 11:11
    its weird cause overall this is one of the best sounding live albums I own

Frankie I am wondering how you will re act to the studio albums since your first exposure is to the live recording
    I first heard the Wilisau Jazz Festival recording and later when hearing the studio version on Stoa they seemed to have less "sparK"
    It often happens that the first version one hears remain the favorites
    To be honest, I will probably just live with these two live albums for a while, but generally I prefer live shit over studio as long as the sonics are up to snuff, especially music like this and Magma, where the overall arch has an energy that is difficult to replicate in the studio. I'm really glad I am discovering this band though - I think that this stuff and Jack 'O the Clock are the two most recent 'prog' discoveries that have made the biggest impression for me in the past few months. One aspect that I also really appreciate on Ronin is fact that they didn't go for the obvious blowing over the whole thing as in most things jazz. It seems to me that the subtle interaction and emphasis on the composition shines brighter than displaying the individual chops of the players.

As far as the clipping, I'm sure you are more sensitive to it (obviously) than the average Joe Walsh fans like us. And yes, great recording on those gigs.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 07-06-2015 at 10:33 AM.

generally I prefer live shit over studio as long as the sonics are up to snuff
    Fwiw, there's also a live one from their early phase.

http://iapetus-store.com/album/live

That whole era has enough of a different sound to make it distinct from the ECM years (mainly because there was little or no sax/clarinet), but this album sort of makes a complement/summation to it, the same way 2012's Live does for their second phase.

I definitely understand about just living with one, though. When I bought my first Ronin, it excited me enough to grab a couple others pretty quick, but I wound up not really listening to them for months. It felt better to give each one time to digest on its own.

One aspect that I also really appreciate on Ronin is fact that they didn't go for the obvious blowing over the whole thing as in most things jazz. It seems to me that the subtle interaction and emphasis on the composition shines brighter than displaying the individual chops of the players.
    Totally agree
    One of the reasons I love this is the lack of that typical jazz "ego" attitude of showing off your virtuosi they all serve the music as a collective with a sense of restraint and discipline and are in no rush to demonstrate their chops
    This band played more then 700 shows and this album demonstrates this well oiled machine

Bjorn Meyer also plays bass with the oud player, Anour Brahem. That's some cool stuff, as well.

Glad everyone's digging the live album. I still play it quite a bit....

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Bjorn Meyer also plays bass with the oud player, Anour Brahem. That's some cool stuff, as well.
    I think I have a disc with Brahem and Jan Garbarek? I'll have to check.

resurrecting an old thread here, and slightly re-purposing, as this looks like it was originally about the live album, as opposed to live shows...

anyway, a friend pointed out that they are doing an east coast tour in may. considering doing the drive from albany to either nyc or boston (same distance...but boston is an easier drive, and it's a saturday...so leaning that way). wondering if anyone has seen him/them live and has any comments worth sharing.

btw, here's the link for the shows:

//http://www.nikbaertsch.com/konzerte/

Might need to edit the link, remove the two // at the start
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Nifty! A DC date in early September

I'M CLOSING IN ON YER BRAGGING RIGHTS, IAN
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Might need to edit the link, remove the two // at the start
    done. thanks, john!