Thread: Anyone else watching Orphan Black?

Anyone else watching Orphan Black?

New show on BBC America. I watched the first three episodes over the weekend. Good suspenseful show, so far, anyway. Premise: a young woman witnesses the suicide of a woman who looks exactly like her. On impulse, she grabs the dead woman's handbag and assumes her identity. Not sure what I should reveal beyond that, but let's just say, things start getting weird from there.

I started DVRing it but haven't watched any episodes yet. They're piling up along with the acclaimed Top of the Lake. But I did watch a few episodes of Vikings lately. That kicks ass.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I am, she's hot!!
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sounds good, I'll try it since their nothing much on Masterpiece lately.

Finally watched the first two episodes. Lots of "what the...holy fuck" moments. Oh, and she is hot. My wife was complaining that the nudity was gratuitous until the orphan's boyfriend walked around bareass for a while and then she was fine.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Watched the third episode - very entertaining. This conspiracy is interesting but it could be where the show blows it if that gets hokey.

I had to look Tatiana Maslany up on Wiki, because I was curious to know where she's originally from. Turns out she's Canadian, and in fact I had seen her once before (on the show Being Erica, though I didn't remember her). Can you imagine the work an actor or actress has to do to do what she's doing on this show? And it's totally believable in six different roles, with different accents, personalities, etc.

The special effects are pretty amazing too. Usually, when you see one person playing multiple roles in a show or movie, there's like two moves they use, such as the static split screen thing, where one "person" is on the left side of the screen, the other on the right and they never cross over or move around. And then there's the "over the shoulder" or "behind the back shot", where they put another performer in the same clothes that one of the doubles is wearing, and shoot them from behind, so you appear to have both doubles in the same shot, but you only ever see the face of one of them.

On this show, you've got all kinds of shots that I don't think I've ever seen before with the "one person playing multiple roles" trope. I read on Wiki that they're using some kind of camera dolly system which I'm assuming must be computer controlled, as they're able to recreate the same camera movements on multiple passes, and the material is presumably composited in post.

Nice to know Orphan Black is getting a good reaction. I downloaded the first episode (missed the schedule with the DVR), and just haven't had time to watch it yet. Maybe I'll download the rest of them and just start the DVR going if I'm not over scheduling it, already.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    I am, she's hot!!
    I don't think she's even particularly pretty never mind hot.

D t B

never heard of it til now. the only shows we watch are Nurse Jackie & Bates Motel. Before that, I watched Taxi right up to the end.

I am now eagerly awaiting whatever violent end Vic gets.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    never heard of it til now. the only shows we watch are Nurse Jackie & Bates Motel.
    I'm watching Bates Motel, too. I'm enjoying it, but I don't really see why they decided to use the Norman Bates mythology as the jumping off point here. I mean, there's so much original material in it, they could have divorced it from the whole Psycho thing, and nobody would have noticed. I guess Universal must have said "Well, we've still got the Psycho house up there on the hill, why don't we do something with it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I am now eagerly awaiting whatever violent end Vic gets.
    Yeah, this should be fun.

Sweeeeeet! Just watched the season finale on DVR. OK, the patent part is bullshit but the rest was great.

I just started marathon-ing the first 10 episodes from torrents. and I'm half way through.

Gotta say that I was thoroughly confused by the first episode, which was thankfully cleared up by 2 and 3. By 5 I'm feeling they've revealed so much that the series might have a hard time with longevity.