Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite song on 'The Lamb'

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Waiting Room - the band were never so exploratory, and it works.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-15-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

not my favorite Genesis album but songs i like..
    Anyway
    Back in NYC
    Fly On A Windshield
    Colony of Slippermen
    also like Hacketts part at the beginning of Chamber

oops.. forgot Hairless Heart
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 04-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Definitely The Lamia. Brought me to tears when I saw the Musical Box show in NYC in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    I've often thought that "The Lamia" was Steve's unconscious tribute to what Genesis would soon, nevermore be. Just a spectacular example of what Genesis was, at that point in time.
    Agree, side three always got the most air play in my house.. loved the whole side.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Agree, side three always got the most air play in my house.. loved the whole side.
    Me two.

Steve's solo at the end of The Lamia really sends me man! (ref Things People Used to Say)

Greetings,

I've always enjoyed the title track--and, over the past decade or so, have also grown particularly fond of "The Lamia" as well.

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    A close friend of mine mentioned that was Mike Rutherford on the bass, which he demonstrated on his bass.
    I'll wager my Moog that it's a synth - probably the ARP that Tony's playing throughout the track.

Never heard that tone or level of sustain from a bass guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by rushfan View Post
    Definitely The Lamia. Brought me to tears when I saw the Musical Box show in NYC in 2004.
    You and me both... We probably were at the same show.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Waiting Room - the band were never so exploratory, and it works.
    Boy did this song sound spectacular live during the European leg of this tour. Groningen, Liverpool (Definitive version), London, Munich, Portugal, Turino (Shame this was the only Italian date).
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by jode View Post
    I'll wager my Moog that it's a synth - probably the ARP that Tony's playing throughout the track.

Never heard that tone or level of sustain from a bass guitar.
    Definitely a synth, and as others have said, almost certainly an ARP model, or maybe possibly Eno's EMS Synthi A. I'm not sure the bass pedals Mike was using at this point had a glide/portamento option.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    the most important song to me as the musical epiphany is The Lamia. It is the song that brought the whole album to fruition for me and established Steve Hackett as my guitar hero.
    Good point.

Back in NYC
    The Lamia

Stand out but I also enjoy

Fly On A Windshield
    Carpet Crawlers

Hell, the whole album is brilliant

My least favourite is IT I just think it is a weak closing to a magnificent album. This album needed to finish on something majestic and mindblowing like the finale of 'Suppers Ready' IMO.

Probably the title track.

My favorites would probably be "tlldob,""counting out time,""grand parade of lifeless packaging,""lilywhite lilith,""in the cage,""colony of slippermen," the list goes on and on. I like "fly on the windshield" and "hairless heart" a lot too. I really enjoy about 3/4 of this album. I even like "it." However, I can do without "carpet crawlers," "back in NYC" and "chamber of 32 doors." Other than those I really like almost everything else.

Anyone of these really!!!

2. Fly on a Windshield (4:23)
    6. The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging (2:45)
    9. Counting Out Time (3:42)
    10. The Carpet Crawlers (5:15)
    11. The Chamber of 32 Doors (5:40)
    3. Anyway (3:07)
    5. The Lamia (6:57)
    7. Colony of Slippermen (8:13)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I always really like the title track and onwards up to and including Broadway Melody of 1974 (Broadway Melody is one of my favorite Genesis moments and Gabriel's voice is especially enjoyable).

The whole piece takes a downward trend for me then, mitigated only by Back in NYC, Colony of Slippermen (after the awful "eastern" jam that precedes it) and finally, Riding the Scree, which has always had a place in my heart for the killer funky drum groove that isn't all that common for them.

I think if you took side one and side four and made it one album it might be the best thing the band ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think if you took side one and side four and made it one album it might be the best thing the band ever did.
    Totally disagree... side 4 of Lamb is the weakest thing Genesis did in the Gabriel era...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Totally disagree... side 4 of Lamb is the weakest thing Genesis did in the Gabriel era...

Totally agree !!!

I love the entire album. I cannot listen to any one song without thinking about the other two that bracketed it.

Anyway, if forced to chose... it would have to "It." After being pummeled mentally & emotionally "It" makes me feel that the entire experience was worthwhile & rewarding. Kind of like being shot out of a volcano.

I always kind of felt sides one and two were the weakest thing Genesis did in the Gabriel era, excluding 'Genesis to Revelation', but then, as much as I like the Lamb, I like the previous 4 albums even more. I guess I think that there is really nothing at all weak in the Trespass thru Lamb run.
    Last edited by bill g; 04-19-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I always kind of felt sides one and two were the weakest thing Genesis did in the Gabriel era
    I bought the album when it first came out and my initial impression was that it took a while to simmer and then it fizzled out a little towards the end. I still kind of feel the same, but I grew to love the whole thing in spite of it's shortcomings and I wouldn't change a thing. Well... I might've left "Grand Parade" off of it. Still, I think the strongest material happens on side 3.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I always kind of felt sides one and two were the weakest thing Genesis did in the Gabriel era, excluding 'Genesis to Revelation', but then, as much as I like the Lamb, I like the previous 4 albums even more. I guess I think that there is really nothing at all weak in the Trespass thru Lamb run.
    That first disc is nearly flawless, if it wasn't for the title track and Lilywhite Lillyth... replace those two with Lamia and Slipperman, and you've got something equal to their previous four albums, while the rest (most of the second disc and the two tracks mentionned above would rank just before Duke and ATTWT

For me it's always been "In The Cage"...that middle section...just fantastic.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Well, "Carpet Crawlers" is pretty much my favorite Genesis tune of all time, so I guess it would also be my favorite on the Lamb.
    It's my second favorite G-tune, so me too! (Yeah, I know, but #1 here is "Squonk").
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Between Lamia, Silent Sorrow and the title track.