Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yes - "Going for the one" on Audio Fidelity Gold CD (SACD).

Yes - "Going for the one" on Audio Fidelity Gold CD (SACD).

Hi All,
    Look Here :
    http://www.audiofidelity.net/content/yes-going-one

"Close to the Edge" was also done by Audio Fidelity not long ago but it already had a great cd version on the Barry Diament Version - so I didnt need to buy he Hoffman version (Also I dont have a SACD player).

But "Going for the one", which I love, sound thin on the Pre-remaster version cd (it wasnt mastered by Barry Diament) and loud and compress on the Rhino Remaster Version (I also have the SHM version).

So I belive i will need to buy this new gold version.

any thoughts ?
    Last edited by Boaz; 04-13-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Sounds like another in a series of discussions of babble, bickering, Banter, Brouhaha, Ballyhoos, Chatter, Chit-Chat, Criticisms, Double talk and Exclamations leading to Dissention.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Sounds like another in a series of discussions of babble, bickering, Banter, Brouhaha, Ballyhoos, Chatter, Chit-Chat, Criticisms, Double talk and Exclamations leading to Dissention.

Rick
    2 posts in and a Yes thread becomes a King Crimson thread. LOL

If this really is GftO remastered in 5.1 then we've got something!
    To me it's the Yes album most in need of going back to the multi-tracks and rebuilding from the beginning... esp the two rackety tinny rock songs

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryChallenger View Post
    To me it's the Yes album most in need of going back to the multi-tracks and rebuilding from the beginning... esp the two rackety tinny rock songs
    It's not going to be 5.1... Audio Fidelity and Hoffman don't do surround remixes.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryChallenger View Post
    This was the first record that Yes produced entirely themselves and you're right, it didn't come out great, but as ribors said it won't be 5.1 so I wouldn't expect Hoffman to do much of an improvement from the original CD mastering. Most likely better than the Rhino though. The only improvement might be the SACD layer.

Rick

After hearing this album on CD, vinyl and HDtracks, I'm somewhat convinced that the original Atlantic CD is just about the way the album sounds. It is simply a bit shrill in places. I hope I'm either wrong and the tapes sound better than ever represented or Hoffman can work some magic to tame that upper midrange and get the bass to come through a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    After hearing this album on CD, vinyl and HDtracks, I'm somewhat convinced that the original Atlantic CD is just about the way the album sounds. It is simply a bit shrill in places. I hope I'm either wrong and the tapes sound better than ever represented or Hoffman can work some magic to tame that upper midrange and get the bass to come through a bit better.
    I Agree. the orginal atlantic is the best,but it is "shrill" - its a pitty, because it is such a great album.

Or, you could wait, and see what else happens with this album. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    This is very VERY good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    If Steven Wilson is going to tackle the Yes catalog lets hope he goes after some of the other titles first. Although this one probably does need the most amount of TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    If Steven Wilson is going to tackle the Yes catalog lets hope he goes after some of the other titles first. Although this one probably does need the most amount of TLC.
    Do you mean Steve Hoffman? SH is doing the SACDs, not SW.

I'd like to hear a good digital version of "Relayer" myself. I think the old vinyl copies I have sound better. Having said that, I don't have a problem with the production of "Relayer" as some seem to have. I think it's a better sounding album than GFTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    No, he is referring to the "something else."

I really like the CTTE SACD. Given how low the bar is for improvement of GFTO, this is welcome news. I'll definitely be picking it up.

Did Anybody got a chance to listen to Audio fidelity GFTO Version and can comment on its quality? especially if it is better then the original Atlantic Version.

If this is just another stereo remix i wont touch it ! Save your money for Steve Wilson's 5:1 surround sound !

Not really that curious.

If neither used any compression and the EQing was similar, they would come out roughly the same.

I have the SACD. It played loud without fatigue. I think it sounds great, considering Going For The One is not a very good sounding recording to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    If this is just another stereo remix i wont touch it ! Save your money for Steve Wilson's 5:1 surround sound !
    It isn't a remix at all--and, if it had been a stereo remix, it wouldn't be "just another," because as far as I know, no remix of this album has ever been released. It is a remastering of the original stereo mix (which I assume is even less interesting to you than a stereo remix would have been). In my case, as I don't have a surround set-up and have never liked the sound of any version I've heard, I'm looking forward to hearing what Mr. Hoffman has done with the original mix. I was very impressed by his Close to the Edge, which sounded better on my systems and to my ears than either of my vinyl versions or any other digital version I've heard (which includes most CDs, but not the HDtracks download).

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    GFTO sounds fine. The sound of the album is the sound of the album. I don't think there's this one rigid definition of "good sound" to which all must bend. I enjoy the different and diverse sonic approaches that help give classic albums their individual character, warts and all. If you want to hear an album absolutely smothered in reverb and treble then listen to Heaven or Las Vegas by The Cocteau Twins. I wouldn't want that remixed though nor do I particularly want the Yes catalog remixed 40 years after the fact. I don't care about hearing every detail laid bare in stark detail against a backdrop of crystalline silence.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Hoffman is doing a SACD remaster of the album (no bonus tracks). It hasn't been announced, but let's say it seems very likely that Panegyric will be doing their version of the album, with a Wilson remix in 5.1 and stereo, and additional bonus material. Fans will have the choice: stick to one of the existing versions, buy the SACD, buy the Panegyric, or both. Me, I'm waiting for the Panegyric: I see very little point in the SACD remaster.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I love the reverb. GFTO is a lush album. Turn Of The Century sounds glorious. I bet dollars to donuts if you actually heard a dry mix you guys would be horrified- it would sound exactly like Tormato. BTW, good luck getting the reverb off the pipe organ. It's the room. The album has a strange sonic character but I've grown so used to it that apart from a minor eq tweak I wouldn't want it to change.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Hoffman is doing a SACD remaster of the album (no bonus tracks). It hasn't been announced, but let's say it seems very likely that Panegyric will be doing their version of the album, with a Wilson remix in 5.1 and stereo, and additional bonus material. Fans will have the choice: stick to one of the existing versions, buy the SACD, buy the Panegyric, or both. Me, I'm waiting for the Panegyric: I see very little point in the SACD remaster.

Henry
    I'm more inclined towards sticking with what I have, which is pretty much the Rhino discs plus some odds and ends, but the announcement of the remixes has sparked my curiosity in possibly trying to acquire the best sounding CD versions I can of the albums in their original mixes before they become more collectable and expensive. I had previously ignored the Yes reissues from Mobile Fidelity and Audio Fidelity, but now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and grab them if people regard them as, more or less, the definitive digital versions of the original albums. I know the original Atlantic discs have a lot of fans too. My main interest in Panegyric is down to what supplemental archival material gets released. I'd rather that somebody just do more straight up, purely archival releases like Grateful Dead have done and leave the original albums be.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I'm more inclined towards sticking with what I have, which is pretty much the Rhino discs plus some odds and ends, but the announcement of the remixes has sparked my curiosity in possibly trying to acquire the best sounding CD versions I can of the albums in their original mixes before they become more collectable and expensive. I had previously ignored the Yes reissues from Mobile Fidelity and Audio Fidelity, but now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and grab them if people regard them as, more or less, the definitive digital versions of the original albums. I know the original Atlantic discs have a lot of fans too. My main interest in Panegyric is down to what supplemental archival material gets released. I'd rather that somebody just do more straight up, purely archival releases like Grateful Dead have done and leave the original albums be.
    The Panegyrics will have the original mixes (remastered): we will hear what those are like in due course. Personally, of what's currently out there, I think the Rhinos are a safe bet for most of the Yes albums. The Mobile Fidelity and Audio Fidelity versions are not, in my experience, generally regarded as the definitive digital versions of the original albums, but you can always find 'audiophiles' who will tout one or other version. But then 'audiophiles' usually conclude that an original, pristine vinyl is the best because, you know, there is some special magic in analogue technology that can never possibly be reproduced by anything else. (I'm, right this moment, listening to an album through a digital streaming service. God knows what the 'audiophiles' will think of me for doing that. Random Access Memories, if you're interested.)

The Panegyrics will have previously unreleased supplemental material. What, I don't know, and it's going to vary from album to album, as it did with the Rhinos. The problem the Rhinos had, and I suspect the Panegyrics will too, is that the most beloved Yes albums (Fragile to Relayer) have the least amount of supplemental material available.

More generally, I must say how delightful it is that the news of the Panegyric CttE has given you a new outlet for your unending killjoyery, distracting you from your usual posts about how the next Yes studio album will suck. :-)

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/