Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quatermass

we are about to do a fantastic release of this --its either June or July --along with a terrific 5.1 mix--all done by lovely Peter Robinson (JP)--a top guy!! the album has been remixed and I know we think he has made a totally amazing job ------------as mentioned JP went on to do a lot of well known film and TV music. will post details shortly

Ah yes guys -- Late June release

heres the details --will do a full post on this next week with tracks etc. I know Mark was really impressed with what Peter has done--great album too!! I like this one.

• A DELUXE TWO DISC EDITION OF THE CLASSIC ALBUM BY QUATERMASS
    • FEATURING A CD OF A NEW STEREO MIX OF THE ALBUM BY THE BAND’s PETER ROBINSON WITH THREE BONUS TRACKS (TWO PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
    • AN NTSC / REGION FREE DVD OF A NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX OF THE ALBUM BY PETER ROBINSON
    • BOOKLET WITH FULLY RESTORED ARTWORK & ESSAY BY PETER ROBINSON

Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the release of a Two disc Deluxe edition of the self titled album by QUATERMASS. Originally released in 1970 on the Harvest label, “Quatermass” is one of the most remarkable albums of the era. Featuring PETER ROBINSON (Keyboards), JOHN GUSTAFSON (Bass, Vocals) and MICK UNDERWOOD (Drums, Percussion), Quatermass were one of the most imaginative groups of the Progressive era. Their unique brand of powerful progressive rock encompassed classical music and hard rock, a unique combination that influenced contemporaries such as Deep Purple (indeed Ritchie Blackmore covered “Black Sheep of the Family” on the first Rainbow album). This Esoteric Recordings edition features stunning new mixes by Peter Robinson in both Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound, along with three bonus tracks, two of which are previously unreleased.

The set also features a lavishly illustrated booklet with new essay written by Peter Robinson

Great album. I only have it on LP, but it's definitely got some cool songs on it, though I imagine the stuff I like best (eg Gemini, Black Sheep Of The Family, the actual song portion of Make Up Your Mind) aren't the same things most people like (which I imagine is stuff like Saturday Post War Echo, and the instrumental thing in the middle of Make Up Your Mind).

What makes this an auto-buy is that the new mixes are by Peter Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post

heres the details --will do a full post on this next week with tracks etc. I know Mark was really impressed with what Peter has done--great album too!! I like this one.

• FEATURING A CD OF A NEW STEREO MIX OF THE ALBUM BY THE BAND’s PETER ROBINSON WITH THREE BONUS TRACKS (TWO PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
    • AN NTSC / REGION FREE DVD OF A NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX OF THE ALBUM BY PETER ROBINSON

Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the release of a Two disc Deluxe edition of the self titled album by QUATERMASS. Originally released in 1970 on the Harvest label, “Quatermass” is one of the most remarkable albums of the era. Featuring PETER ROBINSON (Keyboards), JOHN GUSTAFSON (Bass, Vocals) and MICK UNDERWOOD (Drums, Percussion), Quatermass were one of the most imaginative groups of the Progressive era. Their unique brand of powerful progressive rock encompassed classical music and hard rock, a unique combination that influenced contemporaries such as Deep Purple (indeed Ritchie Blackmore covered “Black Sheep of the Family” on the first Rainbow album). This Esoteric Recordings edition features stunning new mixes by Peter Robinson in both Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound, along with three bonus tracks, two of which are previously unreleased.

The set also features a lavishly illustrated booklet with new essay written by Peter Robinson
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Got this one 1972 in a bundle with Beggars Opera's Act One and Pete Brown&Piblokto's Thousands on a raft,my first prog records.Desert island disc(Quatermass) and one of the best album covers in the history of rock music!

Great album!

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post

OMG! A 5.1 mix of Quatermass? Pinch me I must be dreaming. Thank you Vicky. I only have the 1990 Rep cd.,but will gladly get this re-issue in 5.1.

I consider this one of my collectable vinyl that I will never part with. I picked it up in a resale bin in 1972.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljubaspriest View Post
    Got this one 1972 in a bundle with Beggars Opera's Act One and Pete Brown&Piblokto's Thousands on a raft,my first prog records.Desert island disc(Quatermass) and one of the best album covers in the history of rock music!

Here's a nice interview w/John Gustafson(best bassist of all time for my money, and a damned fine singer to boot)that will shed a lot of light on things.
    http://dmme.net/interviews/gus.html

also, don't bother looking for Episode Six, they were a terrible pop band and you'd never guess who was involved from the sound.
    Last edited by Calabasas_Trafalgar; 04-13-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ljubaspriest View Post
    and one of the best album covers in the history of rock music!
    I'm actually inclined to agree - and absolutely one of the greatest "prog" album covers.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A strong album indeed, one album which should have sold much more than it did at the time- everybody in the band went on to some greater fame afterwards (though John Gustavson had already been in a few well-known groups) and it should have happened earlier.

RE; Episode Six. They had a few good songs, 'I Can See Through You' for instance. Not heard that much of them though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks for this thread, as I'd always been curious about this album (probably due to the great cover art - Hipgnosis, isn't it), but had never heard it. Probably because it was never touted that much for some reason. But I "obtained" a download last night to have a listen, and it's excellent! I dare say it should be considered a classic - and this is after one listen.

Will deffo get this Esoteric release! Good news indeed.

Was Gustafson in Roxy Music?

^^^^^ Yes, Stranded, Country Life, and Siren
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was Gustafson in Roxy Music?
    Merseybeats, Quatermass, Hard Stuff, Shawn Phillips, Roxy Music, Ian Gillan Band, Gordon Giltrap, Pirates
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I guess I'll have to revisit it somedays

Reserved in my library system It should be there in 7 to 10 days
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'd always been curious about this album (probably due to the great cover art - Hipgnosis, isn't it), but had never heard it. Probably because it was never touted that much for some reason.
    That's because the ELP/Yes?Genesis fans can't admit that it beats all their faves at their own game, and have chosen instead to try to bury it. But you caan't hold quality down! I'd place it in my top 3 albums of all time.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yeah, I admit I read that as Quartermass - then what the hell is a Quater? Do I wanna know? Would I like it?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Yeah, I admit I read that as Quartermass - then what the hell is a Quater? Do I wanna know? Would I like it?
    Didn't it have something to do with Sherlock Holmes? A nemesis, perhaps? (No, I'm not thinking of Moriarty.)

One of the first sci-fi programs, from the BBC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quatermass_Experiment
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    One of the first sci-fi programs, from the BBC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quatermass_Experiment
    Yeah, if I remember correctly, during the kinescope of one of the episodes, a fly lands on the screen and stays there for a couple minutes.

Nigel Kneale apparently got the name of the character from the Isle of Man telephone book! Hammer made three Quatermass movies, and there was TV series starring John Mills in the 70s. John Carpenter is a fan of Kneale and got him to write Halloween III bu I think Kneale didn't like the end result and it was heavily rewritten. For Prince of Darkness Carpenter credited the screenplay to Martin Quatermass! Kneale was an interesting writer - The Stone Tape is a classic of Brotish TV, and perhaps the best TV made movie I've ever seen.

Halloween III. Was that the one where you think the guy is dead but he isn't? LOL. Was Carpenter actually involved in that one?

Halloween III. Was that the one where you think the guy is dead but he isn't? LOL. Was Carpenter actually involved in that one?
    Halloween III was the one about the masks with a fragment of stone from stonehenge in them.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Didn't it have something to do with Sherlock Holmes? A nemesis, perhaps? (No, I'm not thinking of Moriarty.)
    Good god. This is what I was thinking of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Quatermain No Sherlock there either.