Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Genesis consider replacing Hackett ?

Did Genesis consider replacing Hackett ?

I know they auditioned several singers when Gabe left, did they do likewise when Hackett left or was it considered!
    I'm sure there's plenty of bios out there that talk about this but sorry I havnt read any !

If my fuzzy memory serves, Gary Moore was approached but declined.

Well , i don't know if they did, but they most definatley should have done.! The following albums were ok, but the magic went.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Interesting choice...am sure they would have taken a different course if that had happened !

Rob Mackenzie (Theory) was approached at one point.
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Never heard of them trying to replace him...

Uh...they did, for touring. His name was Daryl Steurmer.

I remember reading somewhere that they also auditioned (or tried to audition) Alphonso Johnson. Presumably he would have come in as bassist leaving Rutherford to focus on guitars only. But, yeah, just like with Gary Moore it would have been a very different course for the band!

I always wondered what they would have sounded like had they replaced Hackett with Phil Manzanera.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Or if they replaced Hackett with Robert Fripp.

Stan Whittaker would have been the guy for that job. HTM was a possibility for backing PG at about that time.
    The Mighty Megalosaurus
    Tree Pusher, WESAYSO Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that they also auditioned (or tried to audition) Alphonso Johnson. Presumably he would have come in as bassist leaving Rutherford to focus on guitars only. But, yeah, just like with Gary Moore it would have been a very different course for the band!
    I think by the time Alphonso auditioned, it had already been decided that they were going to go on as a three piece. Unless Mike was thinking of playing only guitar onstage, I'm not sure how that would have worked. At any rate, Mike said after trying out Alphonso that he realized they needed a guitarist who played bass (which is basically what Mike is). I think he said he talked to Elliott Randall and Pat Thrall as well.

I don't know if they ever talked about having a full time replacement, ie someone who would play on the records and tour. It's possible that since the three of them seemed to be all on the same page about band direction, songwriting, etc and presumably everyone had enough faith in Mike's ability to be a "lead" guitarist, that they never considered any other approach.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Of course they did on occasion put the Weather Report guy on bass...

Quote Originally Posted by jowallan lid View Post

All kidding aside, but this might have worked (certainly more so than Gary Moore), if it had happened earlier on in the 70's. or if they had replaced Ant Phillips with Fripp instead of taking Hackett..

By the timle Hackett had left Genesis, Fripp had moved on to other things
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don't think so.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    At any rate, Mike said after trying out Alphonso that he realized they needed a guitarist who played bass (which is basically what Mike is).
    A rhythm guitarist, perhaps, but Rutherford is not a very good lead guitarist by any stretch. To my ears he is basically a very decent bass player who plays good support rhythm guitar, but when it comes to soloing... That's where Hackett was sorely missed.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    A rhythm guitarist, perhaps, but Rutherford is not a very good lead guitarist by any stretch. To my ears he is basically a very decent bass player who plays good support rhythm guitar, but when it comes to soloing... That's where Hackett was sorely missed.
    I just got done listening to Burning Rope and I think that song is the best Mike ever played in Genesis period. He's using a Roland GR-500 guitar synth on that and I just love what he plays and how it sounds. I also saw him do it live in the Oakland Arena on the ATTW3 Tour,1978.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Of course they did on occasion put the Weather Report guy on bass...
    LOL! Rutherford on the kit... I wonder what it really sounded like.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    LOL! Rutherford on the kit... I wonder what it really sounded like.
    Wow, that is quite a production--spectacle--for a lip-sync performance!
    Blows away anything from Top Of The Pops!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

I don't know if they ever talked about having a full time replacement, ie someone who would play on the records and tour. It's possible that since the three of them seemed to be all on the same page about band direction, songwriting, etc and presumably everyone had enough faith in Mike's ability to be a "lead" guitarist, that they never considered any other approach.
    I think that is right. I don't recall reading anything, anywhere suggesting that auditions were anything but finding somebody to augment the live band.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Interesting choice...am sure they would have taken a different course if that had happened !
    No shit!

I think by the time Alphonso auditioned, it had already been decided that they were going to go on as a three piece. Unless Mike was thinking of playing only guitar onstage, I'm not sure how that would have worked. At any rate, Mike said after trying out Alphonso that he realized they needed a guitarist who played bass (which is basically what Mike is). I think he said he talked to Elliott Randall and Pat Thrall as well.

Pat Thrall too?! Another really great guitar player! Both he and Gary Moore would've brought a "heaviness" that would've changed Genesis' sound a great deal. Stuermer brought a certain virtuosity to the guitar chair that Genesis never had previously, but he didn't have that heavy rock sound that Moore and Thrall had.

I'm guessing Genesis decision to have Mike play all guitars on the albums after Hackett left had something to do with them wanting to be a band of composers, at least in the studio.

Gary Moore??? Please! Moore was a successful hard rock and blues guitarist both solo and in bands, he wouldn't have worked at all. And someone said he declined, doesn't surprise me, I'd guess he declined something like this " 'ck off, I've got a successful career, why would I join you lot?"
    Last edited by PeterG; 04-12-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jowallan lid View Post
    Ya never know...Fripp could also have easily ended up in YES.

They asked him, and Jon Anderson even helped KC finish up LIZARD so Fripp would be free to join YES, but luckily for all of us, Fripp declined.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Gary Moore??? Please! Moore was a successful hard rock and blues guitarist both oslo and in bands, he wouldn't have worked at all. And someone said he declined, doesn't surprise me, I'd guess he declined something like this " 'ck off, I've got a successful career, why would I join you lot?"
    Don't forget his progressive jazzrock output with Colosseum II!

Gary Moore from what I read was considered, As was Robert Fripp but was never asked about the job. Pat Thrall and Elliot Randall did audition but Mike just couldn't connect with them. It was then that the remaining members felt that they were going to try Alphonso Johnson who then referred Daryl Streumer qnd the rest is history.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa