Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did Genesis consider replacing Hackett ?

I think by the time Hackett left they realize the 3 of them should just do their thing---unlike Yes who let anyone in---they kept it as the originals and just toured with great players but never let them in the band. Smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Well Daryl for sure, Phil was certainly an excellent drummer but as stated earlier Mike is a very good bass player, good writer and decent rhythm player but extremely deficient as a lead player. I would have found it interesting if Daryl and Chester had made an LP together... with their jazz pedigree it surprised me they didn't.
    Would have been interesting for sure but the three remaining guys had decided they did not want anymore guys in the studio. Turned out pretty well for them, no matter what us folks on PE think.

Chester asked to join when the recordings started for CAS but was turned down. Hence he was not on the tour either.

Could someone please give examples of Rutherford being a sloppy lead guitarist? I personally don't hear any real deficiencies in his playing.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    One of these dyas I'm going to have to hear that record. I remember pulling it out of the bin at Wax Stax (oh geez, that's already more than 20 years ago) and flipping the cover over and seeing the Rickenbacker 450 12 string on the back, and almost buying it, just for that. But for some reason I put it back in the bin and continued shopping.
    If you really want to suffer then here ya go. Stay close to the house in case you feel the urge to run to the restroom.

Acting Very Strange playlist
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

^Don't think it's been in print for a couple of decades! There's a reason he wasn't the lead vocalist in Genesis.

Mike's best guitar work is on the "Smallcreep's Day" suite. At times he seems to be evoking Hackett (or trying to). Of course, I'm only assuming it's him.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

The conversation went something like this:
    Tony: finally, now the band is MINE (maniacal laugh), we do nothing but my songs
    Mike: sounds good as long as I get to do all the guitar myself (another maniacal laugh)
    Phil: ok, as long as I get 1/3 of the profits (no laugh, just a snicker)

The next time they saw Steve was in 1982 when he barged in on their reunion concert with Peter. That conversation went like this:
    Tony: what's he doing here?
    Mike: I'm not sharing the spotlight
    Phil: Let him sit in on the encore, don't raise a fuss
    Mike: Ok, let's play a song where I can't play lead guitar on for the encore

I don't recall ever reading that they attempted to replace SH in the studio or as an official band member; but they certainly did replace him on tour (as we all know).

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post

The next time they saw Steve was in 1982 when he barged in on their reunion concert with Peter. That conversation went like this:
    Tony: what's he doing here?
    Mike: I'm not sharing the spotlight
    Phil: Let him sit in on the encore, don't raise a fuss
    Mike: Ok, let's play a song where I can't play lead guitar on for the encore
    I think the last on-stage appearance was when Peter and Mike both turned up at a show of Steve's and went on stage for the encore, this was after 'Six Of The Best'.

I always thought that Manzanera was very similar to Hackett in his approach and use of color...

Quote Originally Posted by kayfabe58 View Post
    I always thought that Manzanera was very similar to Hackett in his approach and use of color...
    I love Phil's guitar work, yet I always likened him to Fripp than Hackett.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Manzanera would have been an interesting choice to fill Hackett's role in the band. David Gilmour certainly seems to appreciate what he brings to the table.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Don't think it's been in print for a couple of decades! There's a reason he wasn't the lead vocalist in Genesis.
    In the documentary that was done a couple years back, he said people ask him why he didn't sing in Mike ANd The Mechanics, and he says, "A great pop song deserves a great voice to sing it. I am not that voice!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    Gary Moore is on record stating that he was a huge Genesis fan and that "Foxtrot" was one of his all time favorite albums. Mike didn't realize that Gary Moore had thought about auditioning for the empty role, as his agent was the one who suggested that he do so, but he felt that his style would be wrong for the band.

Robert Fripp said that he wasn't a fan of Genesis and never would've played with the band unless he changed a few things around.

Phil Manzanera and Paul Thompson (Peter had wanted him for the band prior to Collins) had nice things to say about Genesis but Phil Manzanera was never considered for the job.

According to the liner notes of Please Don't Touch, Phil was mad that Hackett didn't push for the title track with Genesis (he did introduce it to them, but I guess Mike and Tony weren't impressed, but Phil loved it). Phil told him that he wanted to do that song with Genesis (when Hackett was in the band, obviously).

Someday, I should probably listen to the albums that came after W&W. I heard Duke probably 25 years ago, more than once, because my roommate (drummer in my band) loved it. I don't remember liking it. I heard And Then There Were Three about 15 years ago when I worked in a CD store, but wasn't impressed and had trouble paying attention to it (because it didn't seem to keep my attention). That's it though, never listened to any other post Hackett albums (though, naturally, I've heard the "hits" countless times....more than I ever wanted to).

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    According to the liner notes of Please Don't Touch, Phil was mad that Hackett didn't push for the title track with Genesis (he did introduce it to them, but I guess Mike and Tony weren't impressed, but Phil loved it). Phil told him that he wanted to do that song with Genesis (when Hackett was in the band, obviously).
    The comment I recall from a Hackett interview was the opposite, Genesis dropped "Please Don't Touch" when Phil said he didn't like it.

According to various books on Genesis, Phil said to Steve when referring to Please Don't Touch that "he couldn't get behind it." That reaction by Phil might have been the proverbial last straw that made Steve decide to leave the band because he always saw Phil as an ally. Note - It took me a LOOOOOONG TIME to also get behind Please Don't Touch, so I don't really blame Phil's initial reaction to the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    According to various books on Genesis, Phil said to Steve when referring to Please Don't Touch that "he couldn't get behind it." That reaction by Phil might have been the proverbial last straw that made Steve decide to leave the band because he always saw Phil as an ally. Note - It took me a LOOOOOONG TIME to also get behind Please Don't Touch, so I don't really blame Phil's initial reaction to the song.
    The other side of that I remember hearing was that when Phil finally heard the track that we all know, the finished piece, he apparently loved it. Apparently, the piece that he "couldn't get behind" was some sort of embryonic arrangement.

It took me awhile to get behind it myself, but that was more because I had heard the GTR album first, and that of course has Hackett To Bits, which sort of like Please Don't Touch Redux.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The other side of that I remember hearing was that when Phil finally heard the track that we all know, the finished piece, he apparently loved it. Apparently, the piece that he "couldn't get behind" was some sort of embryonic arrangement.
    Okay, let's be honest with ourselves about "Please Don't Touch." The main theme is exactly three notes, played three times, with a different four-note lick played the fourth time. There's that middle section on the album itself, but I'm having the hardest time imagining ANYONE listening to the main three-note/four-note lick without the pumping rhythm section underneath it and thinking, "That's BRILLIANT!" Especially when you consider Steve's diffident style in presenting material. The band probably thought, "He's already got that simple "In That Quiet Earth" guitar melody with the rhythm section doing the heavy lifting, do we have to have another one?"

Granted, "Wot Gorilla?" is a complete trifle, but Collins co-wrote that and could hear how the rhythm section would sound. He probably just had Steve's word that the key to "Touch" would be the pulsing bass.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Gary Moore??? Please! Moore was a successful hard rock and blues guitarist both solo and in bands, he wouldn't have worked at all. And someone said he declined, doesn't surprise me, I'd guess he declined something like this " 'ck off, I've got a successful career, why would I join you lot?"
    Not in 1977 he didn't. Moore didn't release his first proper solo album until the following year, and had been more of a jobbing hard rock/fusion guitarist up until. Great player, but it's hard to see how he would have fitted into Genesis either musically or personally.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I think by the time Hackett left they realize the 3 of them should just do their thing---unlike Yes who let anyone in---they kept it as the originals and just toured with great players but never let them in the band. Smart move.
    ^^^financially yes! Using 'hired hands' meant they wouldn't have to pay royalties on any impending releases!

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Not in 1977 he didn't. Moore didn't release his first proper solo album until the following year, and had been more of a jobbing hard rock/fusion guitarist up until. Great player, but it's hard to see how he would have fitted into Genesis either musically or personally.
    Yes, that would've been the total opposite of what the band was thriving for.

I know I stayed by my phone, waiting for a call that never came. But, it was good to have a dream.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

Granted, "Wot Gorilla?" is a complete trifle, but Collins co-wrote that and could hear how the rhythm section would sound.
    It also continues a theme that had appeared in "One For The Vine."

A good friend of mine posted "Selling England By The Pound" on his page, I mentioned to him that as much as we (and I) revere Steve, his role was quite unique in Genesis one that not even Robin Trower experienced as a member of Procol Harum. He had his share of brilliance but the band was often more keyboard relegated than they ever were "lead Rock guitar" oriented and when they cranked it up (I.E. Genesis Live ) The band used to raise the roof.