Thread: Preorder Live Fish 2CD/DVD Release to Help Fund New Album

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Preorder Live Fish 2CD/DVD Release to Help Fund New Album

Yes, Grendel fans, it's here! Autobuy for me - already preordered. The only negative is the fat jewel case, but I can live with that.

New Release - Leamington Spa Convention - Sunday October 21st 2012 Live Cd's/DVD
    Now available for pre order - release date May 13th "Leamington Spa fan club convention Sunday 21st October 2012" cat no FHC002CD/DVD

2CD and 1 DVD housed in double tray fat jewel case with 12 page booklet - all in 4 colour

This is the entire Sunday Electric set from the Leamington Convention last October, a night that went down as one of the most amazing nights ever in Fish gig history. It brought to a close a fantastic weekend and this has been chosen as the first of the releases from the event. There are plans for a potential Blu Ray "best of" at the end of the year and the 2 acoustic sets and and the Saturday night performance, also 2 hours long, will be available as downloads in the coming months. ( as will be the Derby acoustic gig and the Studio acoustic sessions - the audio from the Fishheads Club Live DVD)

As per your wishes after the release of the Fishheads Club Live DVD this title has 2 Cd's making up the live audio performance with the "banter" taken out to deliver 100% music. The DVD has the full live show including all the audience interaction.The DVD is NTSC region 0 and will play in North America. The audio of this live title will also be available as a download once we have our preferred options in place.

I have tried to keep the price as attractive as possible at £12.99 ex vat (£15.49 inclusive of 20% VAT) plus postage as this title is directly funding the "Feast of Consequences" recording in the summer and your support in buying this title and spreading the news is sincerely appreciated.

You can pre order the album at http://shop.fish-thecompany.com/acatalog/cdslive.html and the album will be available for purchase on the UK tour in May on the merchandise stall.

Multi camera shoot directed by Russell Cherrington, multi track audio mixed and produced by Calum Malcolm

DVD listing (CD 1 tracks 1-9, CD 2 tracks 10-16)

Script for a Jester’s Tear (Dick, Rothery, Kelly, Trewavas, Pointer)
    Long Cold day (Dick, Wesley, Young)
    Innocent Party (Dick, Watson, Duguid)
    He Knows You Know (Dick, Rothery, Kelly, Trewavas, Minnett, Jelliman, Pointer)
    Square Go - (Dick, Vantsis)
    Other Side of Me - (Dick, Vantsis, Boult)
    Feast of Consequences (Dick, Vantsis, Boult)
    Dark Star – (Dick, Vantsis)
    Pilgrims Address – (Dick, Wesley)
    Jigsaw (Dick, Rothery, Kelly, Trewavas, Mosley)
    Freaks (Dick, Rothery, Kelly, Trewavas, Mosley)
    Lucky (Dick, Simmonds, Boult)
    Internal Exile (Dick, Simmonds, Boult)
    Market Square Heroes (Dick, Rothery, Kelly, Trewavas, Minnett, Jelliman, Pointer)
    Grendel (Dick, Rothery, Kelly, Minnett, Trewavas, Jelliman, Pointer)
    The Company (Dick, Simmonds)
    Fish – vocal, Frank Usher – Guitars, Foss Paterson- keyboards, Gavin Griffiths – Drums, Gavin Dickie – bass except on tracks 5/6/7/8 bass – Steve Vantsis.

Awesome. Especially about the jewel case--I can't remember the last time I saw actual good packaging for something more than two discs.

To me, those fat jewel cases scream "1989!" I prefer digipak-type packaging.

BTW, Mark Wilkinson told me he's working on a "deluxe edition" package for Fish's upcoming new album. Something in a hardcover book. I'm REALLY looking forward to that.

I ordered this the other day, and already got a shipment notice, so I guess it's on its way. I ordered a few other items, too, and figured it would all ship together some time in May, but my shipment notice says it all shipped this week already, including the "preordered" Leamington Spa set.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I ordered this the other day, and already got a shipment notice, so I guess it's on its way. I ordered a few other items, too, and figured it would all ship together some time in May, but my shipment notice says it all shipped this week already, including the "preordered" Leamington Spa set.
    That would be weird, since the release date is May 13th. I preordered just before posting my OP above, which was right after receiving the email about it, and haven't received a shipping notice yet. I only preordered this, nothing else in the order.

I have a feeling they just quoted everything in your order in the shipping notice, even though the preordered item has yet to ship.

Fish sent out an email today about progress on the new album and such. "High Wood" is a suite of related songs, which he says will run around 30 minutes. I'm quite stoked for that!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have a feeling they just quoted everything in your order in the shipping notice, even though the preordered item has yet to ship.
    You're probably right, I guess I'll find out when it gets here.

Packaged arrived today, included everything I ordered except the Leamington Spa Convention set, so shipping notice was incorrect. Oh well, it'll get here soon enough.

Did you see Fish's email today about the packaging for the deluxe edition of the new album? Man, I can't wait for that!

Received my Leamington set today! Huzzah!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-14-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Gerhard, did yours come yet?

Mine came last week.

Looking forward to the new studio cd!

Does anyone have the Company Fish Car Tax Holder? LOL! What the heck is this exactly? Proudly display your car tax disc and your appreciation of Fish at the same time!

Got mine last week. Skipped around the DVD, looks pretty good, overall. The band sounds good, but oh, Fish's voice.... ouch, it's not what it used to be. Plus I think that was the final night of a long weekend of singing, talking, partying, etc. Not thrilled with some of Foss Patterson's keyboard sounds, either, but quite a set list, for sure. DVD is 2 1/2 hrs long, the CDs about an hour each (with between song banter removed).

The band sounds good, but oh, Fish's voice.... ouch, it's not what it used to be. Plus I think that was the final night of a long weekend of singing, talking, partying, etc. Not thrilled with some of Foss Patterson's keyboard sounds, either, but quite a set list, for sure.
    Yeah, Fish's voice is sounding rather rough. I think you're right that it's partly being the last night of a full weekend. Plus, as he says in the liner notes, he's kind of just ignoring saving his voice at all, starting with Script...

I actually think some of Patterson's keyboard sounds are really good, but I've had problems with his sounds in the past, and I'm only about 5 songs into CD one so I'll reserve judgement. One thing I noticed, though, is as he goes into the last keyboard part near the very end of He Knows You Know, it sounds like Foss hits a couple of bum notes. I can't tell if he's just vamping it a bit because it's near the ending, or if it's really bum notes. Don't like the way that sounds either way.

So far though, overall I'm enjoying it.

I contacted Mark Wilkinson to ask about the cover art - I had somehow not realized that the song Perfume River refers to the river in Viet Nam, so I asked Mark what the significance of the cover art was. He said it refers to the song Perfume River, and that Perfume River was going to be the title of the album before Fish settled on Feast of Consequences (which sounds like a better choice to me).

Just had a listen to the two new songs in the set, Feast of Consequences and The Other Me. They sounded good!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-15-2013 at 02:12 PM.

It's annoying to me that there aren't more Fish fans on PE. Or at least, Fish fans who are interested in his releases. Harumph.

Gerehard, I had a chance to watch a good portion of the DVD. I now agree with you about Foss keyboard sounds - some pretty bad choices there, don't know why.

Someone said - I think of Fish's official forum - that the DVD sounds better than the CDs. I actually think it may be that the sound on the DVD is less accurate, or at least sounds less detailed on what I watched it on, but it does actually make Fish's voice sound a LOT better. Rather than focusing on the state of his voice, I was able to enjoy the performance. I now feel that it's one of his BEST live releases in a long time, and it's also an excellent setlist, IMO.

Two new, not yet released tracks
    A good selection from 13th Star, his last released album
    The couple of albums leading up to 13th star are represented
    A good selection of Marillion songs

The only area where the set is maybe lacking is earlier solo Fish stuff. Yes, you have The Company and Internal Exile. I could have used a bit more, but of course, he has to fit a lot in so I can't complain.

Also, the camera work and visual quality are very good - better than I was expecting. So as far as Fish DVDs, this one is essential, IMO.

One thing - WHAT IS UP with the beginning of the first CD? I see now that there's no problem with the beginning of Script... on the DVD, so why the HORRIBLE edit at the beginning of Script... on the CD?

Not sure what you mean by horrible edit on Script, on the CD. It just starts with his vocal part, "So here I am once more...". They should have left in the little piano chord just before he starts singing, but otherwise it sounds OK to me. I haven't really compared DVD vs. CD, but the mix sounds a bit rough to me, not very polished, but appropriate, I guess, for a live concert recording.

I'm sure I'll enjoy watching / listening to this sometimes, and while I mostly agree with your assessment, Fish's voice (and singing - very pitchy sometimes) just makes it really hard not to cringe in certain spots.

Not sure what you mean by horrible edit on Script, on the CD. It just starts with his vocal part, "So here I am once more...". They should have left in the little piano chord just before he starts singing, but otherwise it sounds OK to me. I haven't really compared DVD vs. CD, but the mix sounds a bit rough to me, not very polished, but appropriate, I guess, for a live concert recording.

I'm sure I'll enjoy watching / listening to this sometimes, and while I mostly agree with your assessment, Fish's voice (and singing - very pitchy sometimes) just makes it really hard not to cringe in certain spots.
    Because they cut out that piano chord before Fish starts singing, and there's no fade in or anything, it's jarring (to my ears, anyway) to have all the sound (Fish's voice and the ambient noise) just suddenly come on full volume. It sounds like the beginning of a bootleg. I definitely noticed this when first listening to the CD, but it didn't really bother me until I heard how much better the beginning of the DVD sounds.

As far as Fish's voice, don't you find that it doesn't sound nearly as bad on the DVD? It might depend what you're playing the DVD's audio through.