Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yer favorite Track on Wind and Wuthering

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    apparently “unquiet slumber for the sleepers in that quiet earth” are the final words of emily bronte’s novel “wuthering heights”. verification?
    Actually, the final words of the Bronte novel "Wuthering Heights" is:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered why Phil Collins decided to ruin Genesis."

"Blood on the Rooftops" and a great fondness for "Your Own Special Way".

While I think A Trick of the Tail is the more consistent album, this is the one I love the most. Got it as a Christmas present in 1980 and it will always, immediately, take me back to that strange, for me very difficult, time.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Tossup between 11th Earl and 1 For The Vine.

Eleventh Earl of Mar

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    a great fondness for "Your Own Special Way".
    Those are fighting words here on PE!

(I actually quite like it too, but I suspect we are in the very small minority.)

"Eleventh Earl of Mar" by a mile.

Great album -- probably my third favorite by Genesis, after "Foxtrot" and "Genesis Live."

One For The Vine. As i mentioned on Ant's FB page, i love the entire album but in comparison I never was too enamoured with Wot Gorrila? and I always loved Inside & Out. Although Please Don't Touch had its origins on Wind & Wuthering, the song admittedly never came into fruition until Steve Hackett's second album.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    Those are fighting words here on PE!

(I actually quite like it too, but I suspect we are in the very small minority.)
    That we are, mate

I love the keyboard break and the dream-harmony vocals. I also thing it's a pretty beautiful melody.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    and wondered why Phil Collins decided to ruin Genesis."
    Boooooring!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Boooooring!
    I agree. This horse has been beaten to death. Luckily, you can edit the posts that you quote.

Banned
    Actually, the final words of the Bronte novel "Wuthering Heights" is:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered why I tried to be funny by making fun of Phil Collins when Tony Banks is to blame"
    I agree with you on that. Tony and Mike(not Phil) are original members. So, I think that they changed Genesis.

Too hard to choose one on top of my list... So i'll go from the bottom up

Least fave (by a zillion miles)
    YOSW

then (don't get me wrong, they're goooood!!!)
    Wot Gorilla
    Afterglow

The rest is all on par (yes even Mouse's Night)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    This thread has inspired me to listen to W&W on headphones. Blood On The Rooftops has always been my favorite song on this album due to Steve's nylon classical and Tony's orchestral keyboards(is that the 'tron doing the oboe sound?). While listening to this thing on headphones, I'm just noticing Mike's bass playing on Blood On The Rooftops.

No contest. One For The Vine.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Boooooring!
    Indeed! Should be PotatoHead instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    I never was too enamoured with Wot Gorrila?
    Really?! I guess you just wanted that drum groove to stay with Weather Report, where it belonged?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Really?! I guess you just wanted that drum groove to stay with Weather Report, where it belonged?
    . Touché Brother Ernie...

People always bag on Wot Gorilla, but for my money, the only song that breaks the sorrowful enchantment of this album is "All In A Mouse's Night". Inside and Out would have been so much better in that spot. Other than that, it is a perfect album for me. My favorite song has to be 11th Earl Of Mar. The middle mellow section is amazing!

Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers...In that Quiet Earth. I may be biased. I used the first part in a play I wrote for a high school youth group in a scene where an angel makes its appearance in a troubled girl's dream. The play was staged in our Roman Catholic church. We turned all the lights off because in the play the girl has just gone to sleep. The angel comes from the back of the church moving toward the stage (where the girl is sleeping) with a candle and this song starts to play. Just that candle in the almost pitch black with the song playing. Probably sounds hokey to a lot of you but it was pretty awesome being able to expose our congregation and the kids to Genesis. And the song was the perfect backdrop for what was happening in that scene. Genesis sounds good in a church.

The thing about W&W is that, for me anyway, even my least favorite song (Your Own Special Way) has some pretty poignant verses, with the nice blending and layering of guitars (and autoharp). As I said 'One For The Vine' is easily my favorite, but Eleventh Earl (love the mid-section and the opening), Blood On The Rooftops (the little instrumental break early in the song is perfection), Unquiet Slumbers, In That Quiet Earth and Wot Gorilla (perfect flying or hanggliding music) are all pretty wonderful to me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    People always bag on Wot Gorilla, but for my money, the only song that breaks the sorrowful enchantment of this album is "All In A Mouse's Night". Inside and Out would have been so much better in that spot. Other than that, it is a perfect album for me. My favorite song has to be 11th Earl Of Mar. The middle mellow section is amazing!
    I actually like All In A Mouse's Night, because it continues the tradition of Get 'Em Out By Friday and Battle Of Epping Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    The thing about W&W is that, for me anyway, even my least favorite song (Your Own Special Way) has some pretty poignant verses, with the nice blending and layering of guitars (and autoharp). As I said 'One For The Vine' is easily my favorite, but Eleventh Earl (love the mid-section and the opening), Blood On The Rooftops (the little instrumental break early in the song is perfection), Unquiet Slumbers, In That Quiet Earth and Wot Gorilla (perfect flying or hanggliding music) are all pretty wonderful to me.
    Does Steve play Kalimba on Eleventh Earl Of Mar?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    Indeed! Should be PotatoHead instead.
    Yeesh, it was a joke, guys. Lighten up.

Banned
    A tired joke at that. That's the thing that always comes up when discussing Genesis. I even know of a PE member that has Phil Collins did not ruin Genesis as his signature.

I thought it was funny.

JIF: I like Phil Collins and don't think he ruined Genesis.

Either "One For The Vine" or "Blood On The Rooftops."

What? I gotta pick one?....OK, "One For The Vine."