Thread: What the hell is This??

What the hell is This??

2.jpgMusical instrument??mystery.jpg

If it's a musical instrument, it looks to be a percussion instrument, where one plays the instrument with these sort of ping-pong paddle type mallets (you can see one of them in the photo on the left. Blue Man Group use those a lot. You haven't lived until you've heard their covers of White Rabbit and I Feel Love that feature the instrument.

The melody on the first part of the track, before the guitars come in is being played on such an instrument. Don't know what it's called though.

Last edited by GuitarGeek; 04-08-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Alright, based on you mentioning Blue Man Group, I'm thinking they're a wooden variation of Joia tubes.

That, or an umbrella stand.

Bah! BMG blatantly stole the whole “PVC percussion” shtick from Uakti:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“The Beltway Bandits”-Frank Zappa/Jazz From Hell

Ditto, Mike!!!!!! I love Uakti, and never liked BMG just because of that obvious ripoff.

Thanks Mike, never heard of Uakti before, love it. But tell me, is air pumped up through those tubes to assist with creating the sound?

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Ditto, Mike!!!!!! I love Uakti, and never liked BMG just because of that obvious ripoff.
    Guess you don't like any electric guitarists either, since they ripped off Les Paul.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Holly shit!!! It's been decades since I've listened to Uakti
    (to be honest, I'd almost forgotten they even existed)

Thanks Mike!!!
    Last edited by Trane; 04-09-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    That's like saying Eddie Van Halen obviously ripped off all the guitarists who were doing two handed tapping before him, or that he ripped off Jimi Hendrix by doing whammy bar dive bombs, etc.

There's a concept known as mutual discovery, where two or more people create the same thing, without being aware of what the other(s) are doing. For instance, there's all the guitarists who developed tapping techniques (everyone from Ace Frehley to Frank Zappa) prior to the ascendance of VH.

Another example would be Don Buchla and Robert Moog, both of whom were working on what we now call the modular synthesizer (well, Don Buchla doesn't call his instruments that, but everyone else does) in the mid 60's, each without any knowledge of what the other was doing (at least initially anyway).

As far as Blue Man Group, there's more to them using home made musical instruments. There's a great element of satire and humor. You should see the Rock Complex DVD. That was the most fun I had at a concert, other than Spinal Tap, and maybe that Daevid Allen concert I went to where he had the audience form a circle and chant while he played glissando guitar and then danced with us for the final encore.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Totale III View Post
    Made out of wood?!

It looks like a professional baseball bat carrying container.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Don't know what it's called though.
    Uakti called them "membranophones."
    Blue Man Group calls them "drumbones" and "tubulums."
    The Nightmares call them "thongophones."

Last edited by rcarlberg; 04-09-2013 at 06:30 PM.