Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: District 97 Feat. John Wetton & The Music of King Crimson-Spring Euro Tour (w/Video)

District 97 Feat. John Wetton & The Music of King Crimson-Spring Euro Tour (w/Video)

District 97 is thrilled to be heading to Europe and teaming up with the legendary John Wetton (King Crimson/UK/Asia) for a series of shows! We'll be playing a bunch of D97 material, and also pairing up with John for a selection of King Crimson classics that he hasn't sung live in decades.
    John says, “I welcome every opportunity to encourage the musical icons of tomorrow. Performing with this band is a privilege and a joy. I am looking forward to the shows with great anticipation.”

Spring 2013 European Tour

11/5-Kingston-upon-Thames, UK @ Celebr8.2 Festival (District 97 without Wetton)

District 97 with Special Guest John Wetton (Featuring the music of King Crimson)
    15/5-Reichenbach, Germany @ Bergkeller
    16/5-Verviers, Belgium @ Spirit of 66
    17/5-Russelsheim, Germany Das Rind
    18/5-Zoetermeer, Netherlands Boerderij Cultuurpodium

It will sound a little something like this:

Hope to see you at the shows!

For more info/tickets, visit http://www.district97.net/shows
    Pres Release: http://www.keystoshredding.com/2013/...sive-band.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by District97; 04-08-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Pretty awesome. John needs to work on his "white boy jiving" though.

Giving this a bump because I'd like to see if anyone here with access to a car/large vehicle might be interested in being D97/John's driver for the gigs on the mainland, or knows someone who may be. If so, send me a PM or an email to info@district97.net. Also, let us know here if you're coming to a show!

Giving this a bump as i'm sure some European PE'ers will be interested in this unique show. Let us know if you're coming!

Awesome indeed.I would love to come to show.It's best for the tour that I don't drive your car though.

Lament is such a great song. Kevin Gilbert almost did a cover of it on "Shaming of the True". We talked about it. The whole "music industry have a cigar thing". Anyway, this is awesome. Can't wait to actually see this live. I love Wetton-era Crimson.

Knock 'em dead, Jonathan! What a great experience!

Squids, I didn't know Kevin did a version of this. Does it appear as a bonus track on a version of SotT?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleGtr View Post

Squids, I didn't know Kevin did a version of this. Does it appear as a bonus track on a version of SotT?
    A brief aside and then back to D97 and Wetton... When I first joined Thud (before it was even called Thud and before Nick D'Virgilio and Russ were in the band... this was with Corky James and Toss Panos) Kevin had played me the early version of his "rock opera" about the music industry. It had about half the songs that ended up on the Shaming album that eventually came out. So he needed more material at the time and was considering doing Lament. He asked me what I thought I was all for it. Great song! Fits right in there too. But, he never did get to finish the rock opera and I don't think Lament was ever recorded. It was never decided to definitively be part of it though. Just something thrown around. I also wrote a song for it too that he didn't do anything with that was a sort of "Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" sort of "music factory/package it up and shrink wrap the art!" with a conveyor belt POV of music as just mass products. Maybe one day I'll do that song anyway because it was pretty cool. I sampled a Willy Wonka contraption for it too that was pure comedy. Very "Tim Burton". Haha.

Anyway, sorry to digress there, but there's a little side note on Lament for you. I'm very excited for Schang and the gang. To tour with Wetton doing old Crimson tracks is one of those rare things in life you have to take a step back to appreciate the magnitude of it. A dream come true I'm sure. It would be for me!

Thanks Dave. Appreciate the back story, as all things Kevin fascinate me. Sorry for the continued diversion. Your explanation reminds me of a good friend years back that was very much a businessman. His sister was an artist and I a musician. He had an idea to pair us up to do art showings with me on classical guitar. Knowing he was flying in the face of artist integrity he asked us 'how many we could crank out in a week'!!! We all had a good laugh over it!

Anyway, back to the original post- I saw the boys and gal do some kick ass Crimson covers earlier this week in preparation for their European shows. Good stuff awaits!!!

Congratulations on playing with Wetton! Have a great time.

Viewing the vid again and im in love with the singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    im in love with the singer.
    Stand in line, dude!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

^ Hearing them nail this song with the original singer was nothing short of awesome! Their playing was so exact you could close your eyes and easily pretend you were hearing KC!.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Stand in line, dude!
    Damn right

Paupers - It's Your Mind (1967)

Paupers - It's Your Mind (1967)

Oh yeah!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Jefferson James
    To Jonathan and Distrcit 97 -- dudes and dude-ette, have a blast on your inaugural European tour; take no prisoners (unless they ask nicely) and leave 'em reeling. I am so, so stoked to see this happening. Yesterday the USA, today Europe (maybe not exactly today but you know what I mean), tomorrow the world!

Viewing the vid again and im in love with the singer.
    John Wetton?

We're leaving for the UK at 9 PM tonight! See all you UK folks at Celebr8.2 on Saturday, and the rest of you the following week in Germany, Belgium and Holland! Definitely say hi to me if you're on PE.

Jonathan

Best from the old folks for a glorious European tour and adventure of a musical lifetime with JW, Jonathan!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Best from the old folks for a glorious European tour and adventure of a musical lifetime with JW, Jonathan!
    Thanks, Steve! Hope to see you when we're back stateside.

Very looking forward to seeing you live in Holland on the 18th.
    Erik

Woah, what a great time at Celebr8! I met some PE folks, too. Really looking forward to the rest of this tour on the continent.

Thanks, District97 (and John Wetton), for a great show last night in Holland. You certainly deserve a wider audience. Hope you can come over another time and then play a whole set of this great music. Have a safe trip home.
    Erik

I was there, at De Boerderij, too. I expected a little acoustic intermezzo like I've seen Wetton do at earlier occasions, but this blew me away! I never heard Wetton sing better (maybe because he could purely focus on the singing now) and District 97 played the stuff incredibly well! OK, sometimes it lacked just a little bit of the manic King Crimson craziness and roughness. But that's a minor thing.

"One More Red Nightmare" and "Great Deceiver" in particular were fabulous!!!

Oh and it was fun to see John really enjoying himself while impersonating a serial killer in "The Perfect You Man"!:-)))

Quote Originally Posted by Hurm View Post
    I was there, at De Boerderij, too. I expected a little acoustic intermezzo like I've seen Wetton do at earlier occasions, but this blew me away! I never heard Wetton sing better (maybe because he could purely focus on the singing now) and District 97 played the stuff incredibly well! OK, sometimes it lacked just a little bit of the manic King Crimson craziness and roughness. But that's a minor thing.

"One More Red Nightmare" and "Great Deceiver" in particular were fabulous!!!
    i couldn't agree more.