Thread: Devadip Carlos Santana - The Swing of Delight

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Devadip Carlos Santana - The Swing of Delight

I found this album cheap on-line and without any knowlegde of it, I bought it. I just thought, what the heck. Last week it arrived and I've listened to it twice now. It's very good I think, I enjoy it a lot.

So now I'm curious what people here say about this album.

Here's a track, because otherwise this thread wouldn't look as appealing:

Love this album, one of my fave Santana recordings ever. You should get "Oneness" too, if you like this one....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is Devadip his real first name or something?

I remember this being a 2 record set. reading the credits and such the tunes were varied with a lot of them being written by sri chinmoy? huh? lol yep. i never picked this up mostly because of that fact. even though some very good jazz players are on this.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's the name he took as a follower of Sri Chinmoy. Like Mahavishnu John McLaughlin or Narada Michael Walden.

Very patchy.

Uses Miles' mid-60s quintet members, which was a brave move, inviting comparisons which may be unflattering.

There's good stuff: I love the version of the Spartacus love theme and Gardenia is gorgeous. Probably the stand out for me is Wayne Shorter's "Shere Khan": it manages a delicacy and subtlety the rest of the album only captures sporadically.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Carlos Santana follows Sri Chinmoy? I grew up knowing Sri Chinmoy as someone who advertised in buses. Weird. I actually didn't even know that McLaughlin or Narada Michael Walden did.

It's what he has with chips when he watches the ballgame.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Hey, not a Santana fan at all. But that track was pretty cool. Who knew? The cats playing on it sound excellent, really funky, great use of space. That was bad ass!

But yeah, Devadip? Can he be even MORE of a fucking useless cultural cliche? Superficial, meaningless, mile wide, inch deep, late 60s hippie Bullshit. Frank Zappa was so god damn right. Who needs the Peace Corps?

Great album! I used to play Gardenia in a band in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Love this album, one of my fave Santana recordings ever. You should get "Oneness" too, if you like this one....
    Those two are the lest really worthy stuff Carlos or the band has made .... until the new Shape Shifter album
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    But yeah, Devadip? Can he be even MORE of a fucking useless cultural cliche? Superficial, meaningless, mile wide, inch deep, late 60s hippie Bullshit. Frank Zappa was so god damn right. Who needs the Peace Corps?
    At least he's not a racist.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Carlos Santana follows Sri Chinmoy?
    Last I heard, Carlos is an Evangelical Christian. He used to keep a picture of his Guru on his amp. Starting in the mid 90's, he kept a picture of Jesus on his amp.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Carlos Santana follows Sri Chinmoy? I grew up knowing Sri Chinmoy as someone who advertised in buses. Weird. I actually didn't even know that McLaughlin or Narada Michael Walden did.
    I knew about it, because it got mentioned a lot in articles here and there over the years. One of those anti-rock religious fanatics in the 80's I remember listing all the rock musicians who followed religions other Christianity (as an example of why rock music is "evil"), and he listed Santana and his affiliation with Chinmoy. If you have the Love Devotion Surrender, Chinmoy is the goofy looking guy posing with Carlos and Johnny Mac on the back cover.

I think it's the Rolling Stone Record Guide (or it might be the Christgau book, I forget which), where the entire review consists of a description of that photo, describing one of the guy is holding his hands together as if he's waiting for someone to put shackles on them, etc, then at the end says "Now guess which one is Sri Chinmoy!". That's it. No comment on the music whatsoever.

I believe I read one interview that Santana did much much later, in the 90's, I think, where he said that he thinks of Chinmoy these days the way he thinks of his old gym shoes from high school, ie "They don't fit me anymore".

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Last I heard, Carlos is an Evangelical Christian. He used to keep a picture of his Guru on his amp. Starting in the mid 90's, he kept a picture of Jesus on his amp.
    When Supernatural came out, he claimed an angel named Metatron had told him to make music that would "reach the kids and give them a positive message". That was his excuse for making those crummy comeback records.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It's what he has with chips when he watches the ballgame.
    I was gonna say something sarcastic about "dip" too but Shadow came through, like always . I ahven't heard anything by Santana (band or solo) after Amigos (not counting whatever radio hits he had since then up to now). I have Love, Devotion, Surrender too. I remember when that album (LDS) came out and I thought Carlos went a little cookoo (after looking at the cover). But I kinda thought that cutting his hair was kinda, out of left field and sorta cool.

Who did that song Black Magic Woman again? Oh, yeah, Devadip.

Who did that song Black Magic Woman again? Oh, yeah, Devadip.
    Yeah, it was in the air of the time

You might want to take a look at the names on the Hancock Mwandishi trilogy...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    You might want to take a look at the names on the Hancock Mwandishi trilogy...
    I'd like to, but I can't stop looking at that tit above. ^

I'd like to, but I can't stop looking at that tit above. ^
    Now you are going to make people think I posted that picture just for the tit. You make me feel so cheap.

This was the first digital recording I had bought on vinyl. I remember Mr. dip said he broke it up into short album sides so as not to lose any dynamics from the recording. I enjoyed the fact that Mr. dip returned to a more fusion style from his past. Wow that girl has nice hair!

She has hair?!!!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    This was the first digital recording I had bought on vinyl. I remember Mr. dip said he broke it up into short album sides so as not to lose any dynamics from the recording. I enjoyed the fact that Mr. dip returned to a more fusion style from his past. Wow that girl has nice hair!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?