Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brasilian Music Thread

Love Eliane Elias & saw her in 2011.

Also a fan of Dori Caymmi and Teena Marie, and the usual suspects (Astrid/Joao/Jobim/Airto/Flora).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

51eS04Ag7YL._SX300_.jpg

A good compilation place to savor some of the Brazilian bands.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For the Marillion fan:

Some favorites:

TOMJOBIM

EDU LOBO

IVAN LINS

VANESSA DA MATA

Cornucopia of an thread,thanks!

Mario Garcia - Sr. Cisne

Brazil is one of the most interesting places in the world regarding music. But although there was always a "prog" quotient, Brazilian acts were mostly at their worst when attempting directly at European idiomatics. Exceptions to the case were (later era) Mutantes, Som Nosso de Cada Dia and a few others. But overall they were magnificent when doing what was essentially their own thing, be it "prog" or not. Too bad about so much of this stuff being difficult to obtain here in the west. Novos Baianos are one of the finest, most famous, influential and best selling Brazilian acts of all time, yet you hardly ever come across their releases in Europe.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Brazil is one of the most interesting places in the world regarding music. But although there was always a "prog" quotient, Brazilian acts were mostly at their worst when attempting directly at European idiomatics. Exceptions to the case were (later era) Mutantes, Som Nosso de Cada Dia and a few others.
    I would go with that...Brazilian symphonic prog is very rarely innovative or very interesting for that matter (especially if compared their naighbor Argentina). Even Mutantes are more psychedelic band that symphonic. However their prog fusion style, mixing jazz and with their traditional pop music forms (Samba, Bosa nova, Caipira) is out of this World.

Nevertheless another prog album I found interesting...Octophera - Bons Amigos (Somewhat mixing GG and symphonic influences with Brazilian feel)

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Brazilian symphonic prog is very rarely innovative or very interesting for that matter (especially if compared their naighbor Argentina). Even Mutantes are more psychedelic band that symphonic. However their prog fusion style, mixing jazz and with their traditional pop music forms (Samba, Bosa nova, Caipira) is out of this World.
    Those 1968-71 Os Mutantes albums are among the true pinnacles of innovation in pop/rock, IMHO. At its best, this is up there with B. Wilson, Lennon/McCartney, B. Bacharach, P. Simon and Zappa. But unlike many others, I also dig parts of their later, "symph" progressive period - especially the infamous 'A' e o 'Z' "exploitation" release.

But to me, the single finest Brazilian "jazzy and classically influenced" progressive album is still the beyond wonderful Matanca do Porco by Som Imaginario. I can hardly think of any other progressive title from Brazil where the fusion of native cultural, North American, European and "scholarly" influences (particularly keysman Wagner Tiso's deep debt to film soundtrack composers like Nino Rota et al.) come together at this level.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I had hoped to share AND learn with this thread and it has already exceeded my expectations. Thanks, guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Progger58 View Post
    TOMJOBIM
    I'm constantly discovering Jobim tunes I've never heard before... and I've heard a lot of them! He must've spent a big part of his life wtiting. Not only that; he was as versatile as he was prolific; he covered such a wide variety of styles and moods. No small wonder that some of the Brasilians I know call him "The Master!"

EDU LOBO
    I really liked those two links; obrigado! I knew the name, but hadn't heard much of his music.

IVAN LINS
    I love Ivan's tunes (and singing)! But unlike Jobim, he has such a distinct writing style that it only takes a half minute before I know who I'm listening to. No matter, he's written so many great songs!

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Nevertheless another prog album I found interesting...Octophera - Bons Amigos (Somewhat mixing GG and symphonic influences with Brazilian feel)
    Listening now; I'm about halfway through it... and they finally played something that sounded remotely Brasilian. But that's cool; they are quite good! And they have definitely listened to GG, although they're not annoyingly derrivative.

PARTIDO ALTO TIME!

"Partido Alto" is a Brasilian groove that was derived from the samba, but it's more syncopated (or you might say more "funky"). I love this rhythm and I thought I'd post a few examples.

This Airto tune is one of the more straight forward examples of a partido alto rhythm. For some odd reason, he named the tune "Partido Alto."

Elis Regina, probably the most popular Brasilian female singer to come along since Carmen Miranda. The tune is by Baden Powell and it's a pretty fast partido alto:

My hero; Joao Bosco! A lot of his earlier recordings were very sparse like this, using just one or two instruments besides his voice and guitar. The late, great Nico Assumpcao is on bass and I love the way he disappears and reappears in seemingly random ways. Cone, this tune was apparently intended as a sequel to "Incompatibilidade de Genus," which I posted earlier in this thread. It starts out with the same chord progression, but being a longer form tune, it continues on to other chords:
    Last edited by No Pride; 04-10-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Listening now; I'm about halfway through it... and they finally played something that sounded remotely Brasilian. But that's cool; they are quite good! And they have definitely listened to GG, although they're not annoyingly derrivative.
    Yes, you are right, that Brazilian influence is somewhat surpressed...

I can't think anything as uplifting,joyful yet relaxing as Jorge Ben.

Jorge Ben & Lucinha Lins - Georgia e Jorge

Jorge Ben - Minha Estrela é do Oriente

Jorge Ben - No reino encantado do amor

i am a huge fan of all Brazillian music, bossa, topicalia, jazz, psychedelic, contemporary, you name it.
    lately this fellow Seu Jorge has been really floatin' my boat (best known for his Bowie covers the Life Aquatic movie).

i find the album Seu Jorge and Almaz from 2010 to be simply sublime.

This MPS album features a couple of Germans, and an American, but it's still some good Brasilian stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    This MPS album features a couple of Germans, and an American, but it's still some good Brasilian stuff!
    Speaking of Germans playing Brasilian music, there's this really good German big band called "NDR" that is actually subsidized by the government (); my friend Danny Gottlieb has worked with them many times. Anyway, Joao Bosco made an album with them. Sorry to be posting so much stuff by him, but I really dig his tunes! Joao Bosco with the NDR Big Band:

^
    Nice!

Practically every Brasilian artist has covered that tune and it's been rearranged in infinite ways, but I never get tired of it!

Anyway, Joao Bosco made an album with them. Sorry to be posting so much stuff by him, but I really dig his tunes!
    By all means, post more! Bosco is fab!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:nothing

Joao Bosco... Sorry to be posting so much stuff by him
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    By all means, post more! Bosco is fab!
    If you insist...

I'm told this (Bosco) tune has practically become the unofficial national anthem of Brasil. Watching the audience take over the singing with tears in their eyes, I can believe it! The intro is Charlie Chaplin's "Smile" because the tune is dedicated to him:

Seven Steps from Fourth World's s/t album. I bought most of their CDs about a dozen years ago.
    Features Jose Neto on a custom electro-acoustic guitar, Gary Meek on sax, and Flora & Airto.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Seven Steps from Fourth World's s/t album.
    I like it!