Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited Chicago Shows

What does it say on the ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    What does it say on the ticket?
    The ticket I got (via email) makes no mention of Glass Hammer or any other opening act. I don't think the venue's website ever mentioned them either. Those of us who bought tickets expecting a "Prog night" that included two bands did so based only on the promoter's announcement here on PE.

I'm sure it will be a fantastic night, especially with the special guests, but I can't help but be a little disappointed that Glass Hammer won't be playing, as well. I live in NC, so I'll be flying in with my wife, but I think I'll wait to buy plane tickets til the dust fully settles (e.g., warm up shows are announced, etc).

Sept 19th?

Do a show with D97!

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    We are! More details to follow. It would maybe be appropriate to announce it when things are signed and sealed eh? haha. It would be the 19th in Chicago and there should be a US tour leading up to it as well in different cities. Just an unofficial head's up for the moment but when there's dates and venues scheduled I will be glad to share that here and look forward to seeing some PE people there! We'll do something special for PE people like some sort of meet up with the band or something along those lines. Some sort of swag that only those that mention PE would get. I'll think of something cool.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Well that's a bummer...I shelled out $94 per ticket thinking I was getting BOTH bands!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    The ticket I got (via email) makes no mention of Glass Hammer or any other opening act. I don't think the venue's website ever mentioned them either. Those of us who bought tickets expecting a "Prog night" that included two bands did so based only on the promoter's announcement here on PE.

I'm sure it will be a fantastic night, especially with the special guests, but I can't help but be a little disappointed that Glass Hammer won't be playing, as well. I live in NC, so I'll be flying in with my wife, but I think I'll wait to buy plane tickets til the dust fully settles (e.g., warm up shows are announced, etc).
    Note to self: not everything on the interwebs is true.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Please play in the city of New York and/or Tarrytown!

... but I think I'll wait to buy plane tickets til the dust fully settles (e.g., warm up shows are announced, etc).
    I'll do you a favor and let you know right now that there will be no opening act and there won't be one. If you don't want to take my word for it even though I'm friends with Steve and I played on the album and he played on our album and I talked about the idea with him personally which ended up with us guesting with him in his set instead (I am guesting on keys in just these two shows with them on a handful of songs along with Simon and Francis) AND the fact that it isn't on the web site or on the ticket... then okay! But you'll be waiting for something that isn't going to happen. It'd be cool if it did! But also cool that it isn't because it only means Hackett's show is more elaborate and longer because they don't have an opener so... either way you can't lose IMO. Great show no matter how you slice it.

By the way, I like Glass Hammer too. I bought their most recent album and "If". I wouldn't mind seeing them some time myself. So I understand the disappointment after reading it on PE. But, hey, it was unofficially mentioned on PE prematurely and it turned out not to be the case. Oh well. Nothing can be done now about it. The dust has settled in that it is very clear what's up. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the show! I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Sept 19th?

Do a show with D97!
    Haha. We love Jonathan Schang and Leslie too! Only thing is we're doing a bunch of shows with Francis Dunnery so it depends on where we're at with the tour prior to that and a bunch of things. A little too early to say definitively what show we're going to be doing in Chicago. Could be a cool night of prog of our own though as we were thinking of inviting out some friends who play with Pink Floyd and Yes to join us on stage for a performance of our entire album Dimensionaut plus other cool things. Not sure. It's a ways off and we're ironing out the details. But, some pretty crazy guests could pop up at our shows when we're headlining or co-headlining across the US. Some will be potentially shockingly cool.

That said, there's nothing cooler to us than guesting with Steve Hackett playing songs like Supper's Ready. That with Phil's son Simon is going to be freakin' epic. Like Seconds Out reborn for a moment. I won't reveal what else we'll be sitting in on but that's obvious since we're all on the album version with Steve. Can't wait!!!!!! Bucket list moment for me.

I will be honest…….I am disappointed with this news. When information for this show was first posted here on progressiveears it was billed as Chicago Prog Night II. I went to last year’s Chicago Prog Night and it featured 3 bands. This year it was billed as Steve Hackett and Glass Hammer. For those of us coming from my neck of the woods in Michigan, St. Charles Illinois is a 3 hour drive there and a 3 hour drive back. As much as I love Steve Hackett if I had known this was just going to be a single band and not more of a mini-festival type gig like it was last year, I am not sure that I would have bought tickets. I typically don’t do 3 hour concert drives unless it is something really special, which is what I considered Chicago Prog Night to be. Having been involved in promotion myself, I know how these things can sometimes get mixed up and happen, but I am still disappointed that Glass Hammer (or another band that I saw posted at one time) will not also be on the bill. I think this was a bit of false advertizing up front.

All that being said, I will be there and I am hoping that the 4 other people who I bought tickets for will still be up for it as well. I know they were all looking forward to seeing Glass Hammer as well as Hackett.

Steve Sly
    Last edited by SteveSly; 04-16-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I will be honest…….I am disappointed with this news. When information for this show was first posted here on progressiveears it was billed as Chicago Prog Night II. I went to last year’s Chicago Prog Night and it featured 3 bands. This year it was billed as Steve Hackett and Glass Hammer. For those of us coming from my neck of the woods in Michigan, St. Charles Illinois is a 3 hour drive there and a 3 hour drive back. As much as I love Steve Hackett if I had known this was just going to be a single band and not more of a mini-festival type gig like it was last year, I am not sure that I would have bought tickets. I typically don’t do 3 hour concert drives unless it is something really special, which is what I considered Chicago Prog Night to be. Having been involved in promotion myself, I know how these things can sometimes get mixed up and happen, but I am still disappointed that Glass Hammer (or another band that I saw posted at one time) will not also be on the bill. I think this was a bit of false advertizing up front.

All that being said, I will be there and I am hoping that the 4 other people who I bought tickets for will still be up for it as well. I know they were all looking forward to seeing Glass Hammer as well as Hackett.

Steve Sly
    This is deja vu. This happened prior to the first Prog Nite when a slew of bands were announced but no contracts had been signed and some of the bands had little to no contact with the promoter. I would look to the OP of this thread for the spreading of this misinformation and BTW he is NOT the promoter. He is the promoters assistant/booking agent and, unless things have changed, has no financial investment of his own in these shows. He does deserve to issue an apology here or at the very least an explanation for this sort of misinformation IMHO.
    Normal people are just people you don't know very well.

All throughout the tour you'll see there are no opening acts for Steve's amazing show of classic Genesis music. A while back now it was initially just posted on PE (or as someone else put it "the internets"). A thread on PE is not official advertising. It's not on the ticket and it's not listed on the site. It was essentially just a rumor that has since been confirmed not to be the case. It's not going to be a prog night event like the other ones. It's a Steve Hackett show like its other ones on that tour. Many a thread and post all about it with people loving it! I understand it sounded good with an additional band playing as well but it was a mistake. People make mistakes sometimes. I am sure you do too. That was mentioned here prematurely and it's since been cleared up... as we are on PE right now and it is ONLY a PE thing we're talking about. A mix up of communication that's all.

Throwing the stones of disappointment at it just makes what would otherwise be a FINE and FANTASTIC event into something to grumble about... and yes I know it wouldn't be PE if there weren't some grumbling disappointment but still... is there any point now? No complaints are going to change what's going to happen. Of that I can assure you. So, I guess Glass Hammer himself said it right. If you don't want to go then don't go. Exchange it, return it, sell it for more after it sells out or just go and you'll be happy you have another hour of Genesis music with THE MAN to listen instead. But, for the love of all things Genesis... try to find the joy in this! This tour is a celebration of Genesis music with Hackett himself. That trumps anything else no matter how much we like our other favorite prog bands... which btw you can usually see anyway in other situations for less money so go see them and support them if you love them. I understand the "take away" factor sucks when/if it happens on PE. But it's already in the past now and surely we can move on... plus we don't want to confuse anyone else with OLD news now do we? This thread is about what actually IS happening and it is correct. So, maybe out of respect to that we can carry on topic? Yes? No need to beat a dead horse... my personal opinion. But by all means if you want to complain anyway then no one can stop you. Just seems like a waste of time and energy. The past is the past. We're here now to talk about what IS and what will be.

Well now... we WERE approached and we DID accept the gig, so for a little while at least it looked like that was a happening thing. That's why I think it was afterward that the promoters and Steve's people got on the same page and he said hey, he doesn't want to do the gig like a festival and we were summarily UNhired It's all good. It would have seen a blast to do but I totally agree that it will be an excellent show and I can't imagine there being any disappointment in having an extended Steve Hackett show. I do hope that we get an opportunity to come up there and do something at some point

I'll be driving for six hours to St Charles and I am DELIGHTED by the fact that Steve will be playing a longer show with special guests.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
    This is deja vu. This happened prior to the first Prog Nite when a slew of bands were announced but no contracts had been signed and some of the bands had little to no contact with the promoter. I would look to the OP of this thread for the spreading of this misinformation and BTW he is NOT the promoter. He is the promoters assistant/booking agent and, unless things have changed, has no financial investment of his own in these shows. He does deserve to issue an apology here or at the very least an explanation for this sort of misinformation IMHO.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by ravingandrooling View Post
    I'll be driving for six hours to St Charles and I am DELIGHTED by the fact that Steve will be playing a longer show with special guests.
    Fantastic! Me too. haha. Seriously, we're going to make it a fun time to travel out there as our tour is going to end up there. Sound of Contact will be doing a show on the 19th in town most likely with Francis Dunnery who is doing a new progrock album that's awesome. He's incredible. We may even add a third band and make that a bit more of a prog celebration thing... and if we do that I will get PE people some special meet and greet passes or something cool.

Anyway, the 20th and the 21st are going to be pure Hackett but it'll be special with the exclusive guest situation. Francis sings Dancing With the Moonlit Knight on the album as well as the last part of Supper's Ready. It's some of the best sounding vocals on the album IMO besides Simon's on Supper's Ready which to me sound like a cross between old Collins Seconds Out and Foxtrot Gabriel with something new and edgy in there that is very Simonesque. For any fan of the album to hear those guys in combination with Nad, Hackett and the rest of his awesome band all for the same price as any other Hackett ticket... well, to me it's a no brainer.

This is going to be epic!

All throughout the tour you'll see there are no opening acts for Steve's amazing show of classic Genesis music. A while back now it was initially just posted on PE (or as someone else put it "the internets"). A thread on PE is not official advertising. It's not on the ticket and it's not listed on the site. It was essentially just a rumor that has since been confirmed not to be the case. It's not going to be a prog night event like the other ones. It's a Steve Hackett show like its other ones on that tour. Many a thread and post all about it with people loving it! I understand it sounded good with an additional band playing as well but it was a mistake. People make mistakes sometimes. I am sure you do too. That was mentioned here prematurely and it's since been cleared up... as we are on PE right now and it is ONLY a PE thing we're talking about. A mix up of communication that's all.

Throwing the stones of disappointment at it just makes what would otherwise be a FINE and FANTASTIC event into something to grumble about... and yes I know it wouldn't be PE if there weren't some grumbling disappointment but still... is there any point now? No complaints are going to change what's going to happen. Of that I can assure you. So, I guess Glass Hammer himself said it right. If you don't want to go then don't go. Exchange it, return it, sell it for more after it sells out or just go and you'll be happy you have another hour of Genesis music with THE MAN to listen instead. But, for the love of all things Genesis... try to find the joy in this! This tour is a celebration of Genesis music with Hackett himself. That trumps anything else no matter how much we like our other favorite prog bands... which btw you can usually see anyway in other situations for less money so go see them and support them if you love them. I understand the "take away" factor sucks when/if it happens on PE. But it's already in the past now and surely we can move on... plus we don't want to confuse anyone else with OLD news now do we? This thread is about what actually IS happening and it is correct. So, maybe out of respect to that we can carry on topic? Yes? No need to beat a dead horse... my personal opinion. But by all means if you want to complain anyway then no one can stop you. Just seems like a waste of time and energy. The past is the past. We're here now to talk about what IS and what will be.
    Sorry Dave but you are off base here.. a bit of clarification on a few points.

1) This issue that was brought up really had nothing to do with Hackett. For the record, I thought they were nuts to schedule a backup band Glass Hammer or whatever with Hackett because I know the scale of Hackett's show and the time constraints involved. So yes, the Hackett event doesn't need a back up band and will be a fantastic show on its own as it should be.

2) The Glass Hammer thing was NOT a rumor as you characterize it but an announcement on PE by a representative of the promoters a few days before the tickets went on sale. So, many people bought tickets based on that assumption. That was wrong, period. This individual, then sort of swept it under the rug that Glass Hammer was not playing,with no explanation what so ever hoping I suppose it would just go away. There are people here who are justifiable upset by that as they purchased tickets under those assumptions and they have a right to be. This does not negate the value of the Hackett show which I am sure will be great based on reports from my friends at Calprog. It does call into question the way this was handled by the OP and it is not the first "mistake" by this individual and not the first band this person has upset.

Roland
    Normal people are just people you don't know very well.

[QUOTE=Squids;87322]
    Throwing the stones of disappointment at it just makes what would otherwise be a FINE and FANTASTIC event into something to grumble about... and yes I know it wouldn't be PE if there weren't some grumbling disappointment but still..plus we don't want to confuse anyone else with OLD news now do we? QUOTE]

I am just going to post one more comment and then I’ll shut up (famous last words eh……). I really don’t feel like I am throwing stones, I am just being honest. As for this being “old” news, tonight when I read this was the first time I have heard anything about GH not being on the bill, it is new news to me and the other 4 people who are coming with me.

Also, I am not trying to get on the promoter’s (porctree or whoever the real promoter is) case. In fact I give him major kudos for trying to bring prog to the Midwest. It is a thankless job and I applaud him for taking this on.

In the end it is all good. The news was a surprise to me tonight and caught me a little off guard. I know we will go to the show and have a great time, and I am looking forward to an extra long show from Mr. Hackett and crew. I have seen him twice and he never disappoints.

Steve Sly

Hey Roland! Hope to see you soon in Cali.

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah I do know all that. I'm just saying that's old news at this point. Maybe it's beyond what one might call a rumor but it still wasn't on the actual site or on the ticket. It was announced just here on PE prematurely and before the actual deal had been made as Glass Hammer pointed out. It was in fact a mistake and a misunderstanding... forgivable if you ask me. As GH said I am sure if it was a problem for anyone they could get a refund... (I am starting to see the wisdom of Glass Hammer's post!!! haha) I just find it hard to believe any Hackett fan would not go because of an opening act no matter who it was... but that is just my personal opinion. To each his own.

But, anyway, my main point about the thread topic is that it is about what IS happening at the upcoming Hackett gigs in Chicago... not about what was going to happen possibly but turned out it isn't. That's old news and this is new news. Surely we can move on... i hope!
    Last edited by Squids; 04-16-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

I am just going to post one more comment and then I’ll shut up (famous last words eh……). I really don’t feel like I am throwing stones, I am just being honest. As for this being “old” news, tonight when I read this was the first time I have heard anything about GH not being on the bill, it is new news to me and the other 4 people who are coming with me.

Also, I am not trying to get on the promoter’s (porctree or whoever the real promoter is) case. In fact I give him major kudos for trying to bring prog to the Midwest. It is a thankless job and I applaud him for taking this on.

In the end it is all good. The news was a surprise to me tonight and caught me a little off guard. I know we will go to the show and have a great time, and I am looking forward to an extra long show from Mr. Hackett and crew. I have seen him twice and he never disappoints.

Steve Sly
    Well, it goes to show what can happen in a thread on PE. I do think that anyone who buys a ticket to a show and expects something to happen that might be important to them should hopefully confirm it by looking at the actual ticket and the site they bought the ticket from just to be sure and not just go by a thread in PE. If they're happy to go see the show anyway and it's just a bonus if it happened that's a different story. Most people are just happy to go see the show with no opening act in other cities. It's only because of an old PE thread that there is any lingering confusion. But, like I said, we've clarified that once again in here already so... I think we're good now?

Although let me see... if I know PE correctly there will be a few more people who want to voice their disappointment as well! Almost like a VOTE for "don't post any misinformation prematurely" thing. But I think whoever did that has learned their lesson. We don't NEED to get on their case... especially if it was with good intentions of entertaining us progheads after all.

Good things may come out of this though. You never know. Some interesting things have spawned out of obscure PE threads! Haha.

I'll do you a favor and let you know right now that there will be no opening act and there won't be one. If you don't want to take my word for it even though I'm friends with Steve and I played on the album and he played on our album and I talked about the idea with him personally which ended up with us guesting with him in his set instead ...etc. etc. etc.
    Perhaps I was unclear with my use of the term "warm up shows". I mean I'll wait to see if a Thur night pre-show is confirmed (maybe Sound of Contact + Glass Hammer? before buying plane tickets. I believe you that there will be no opening act for the Hackett shows, but you yourself mentioned the possibility of a Thur night show.

Dave, I greatly admire your enthusiasm for the music we all love, you're a fascinating source of inside info and entertaining stories, without sounding (to me) like a name dropper, so I always enjoy reading your posts here. I enjoyed your SoC show in Montreal and meeting you briefly the night before, in the venue. That said, I think you're trivializing what happened here. Yes, we can move on, but it's not right that someone who clearly portrayed himself as a credible source made an "official" announcement on this site (those were his words), then never corrected it, explained what happened, or apologized.

Branding those of us who express disappointment (or even all of PE) as grumblers and complainers is probably not a good way to smooth things over, but that's up to you.

Looking forward to the show.

I don't brand anyone as anything. But the action of complaining or grumbling is what it is. One doesn't have to be labeled a "complainer" to still be complaining but if one IS making a complaint then they are in fact complaining even if they have justification for it. It's still focusing on the negative aspect as opposed to the positive things the actual thread topic is about. See what I mean? Anyway, I was just saying it isn't going to change anything anyway. The most you guys could get is an apology that a mistake was made. To be honest I thought that had already happened eons ago when that thread died but I have to admit I haven't kept up on it. Was that thread even on the .org site or the OLD PE.com site? I think it was that... long long ago in a galaxy far far away now.

Anyway, I can understand people wanting clarity on the matter. I think we have that. Wanting someone's head on a stick or a walk of shame for making a mistake on the old PE forum... I don't know about that. I think letting it be is probably best. They're just doing their job as best they can. This is just a forum and mistakes happen here sometimes. It is not the end all be all of accurate news on anything if it is in a thread. But it's a cool place for info that is usually correct. Most of the time it is... once in awhile there's something odd like that. Water under the bridge IMO. But I am not into witch hunts. (what else floats?) I'd rather focus on the good stuff personally but that's just me and my opinion for what it's worth.

Speaking of that, we are talking about just rumors at this point about a possible Chicago show on the 19th with SOC. It will probably be with Francis Dunnery but could be with another act as well possibly. If someone wanted to wait to buy their plane tickets before hearing about the details of that I fully understand and fortunately this is many months away too! So plenty of time to get an official word on that. Could be soon hopefully. We're ironing out our US tour dates now.

Anyway, I am glad you brought that up because I hope you guys know I have no bone to pick with you on this stuff. I get it. I hear where you're coming from and don't disagree with what you're saying. I'm just trying to keep the thread on topic and about positive things such as the exciting stuff that is happening from here forward.
    Last edited by Squids; 04-16-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Ok everyone, first off, I want to apologize to everyone about the whole Glass Hammer. That was my fault. Here's the thing. I originally wanted Glass Hammer to open for Steve Hackett. But when I pitched it to my boss that Jon Davison was singing with them, he said do it. When I talked to Steve Babb, he said that Jon will be touring with Yes around that time. When I brought the news back to my boss, he said because of that, he didn't want them this year. I would definitely love to get Glass Hammer for ProgNight sometime though. When I heard from Steve Hackett's agent that he DOES NOT want an opener, then I had to abide by his rules with no one else. I was originally going to put another band with him (Glass Hammer), but couldn't anyway. On Steve's whole tour, he will have no openers. So, instead I called Squids and talked to him about having him, Simon and Francis playing the show and being Special Guests instead. That way, we can make it like a ProgNight and have a Genesis experience. So, again, I apologize to those who bought tickets thinking Glass Hammer was gonna play with Steve, but please know it's still going to be an amazing show, and will "maybe" get filmed.

~Kevin

Also, sorry to Steve Babb. Sorry for the confusion buddy. Please know that none of this is Squids' fault. He's just trying to help me out. I really hope all of you still can come to Steve Hackett's show with Simon, Dave and Francis. If all goes well, then next year will be more bands too.

Well there you go! Good job Kevin. I think that's what some people just wanted to hear. Mistakes happen and clearly you meant well too. You're trying to do cool progrock acts there in Chicago and that's a good thing. Keep it up!

The idea of us guesting with Hackett on these two nights, in lieu of any sort of opener, is great. You had a good idea there and actually so did Hackett as it was his invitation to do it as well... and we had even talked previously about the possibility of us doing it at some point. This as it turns out is it! So, I agree it's going to be fantastic. It would be anyway because it's such a great show but it will be special and unique. I sure hope it does get recorded!

Thanks for the (above) clarification. Me & my buddies are very much looking forward to the Hackett show. I'm also exciting that we'll have special guest's with Hackett, and maybe an extra 'prog' concert in town a few night's before...