Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High-Quality Portable CD Players?

Plenty of players on EBay. I picked up a nice Panasonic SC-HC25 this summer for 50 bucks. Theres more available, the HC25 is a fairly compact nice sounding unit. Check out the EBAY search engine, in addition to this model they will show you alternatives in the same vein.

I typed out a response and it disappeared into the void. Went like this; check out EBAY. I bought a Panasonic SC-HC25 this summer for 50 bucks. Nice sounding compact unit, use the search engine on EBAY, you'll get this one and others in the same vein. I couldn't find what I wanted in stores new, but this lightly used one was a winner.

Somethings screwy here, cant even edit. Any way the edit was acknowledging the posts appearance on page 2. Like I said , either the site or my computer is screwed up.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Go to Amazon and search for "portable CD player." There are many options in the under-$25 range.

There are Sony and Bose models that cost considerably more, if spending more for one is what you're after.
    You really think I haven't already checked out Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Get yourself a portable dvd player that has headphones. That way you can listen to cds or watch dvds.
    That might be worth looking into.

i just bought one from Best Buy and paid for a 3 year warranty for about 9 bucks.

Wanted to get an extra one before they stop making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    i just bought one from Best Buy and paid for a 3 year warranty for about 9 bucks.

Wanted to get an extra one before they stop making them.
    What's the model?

I still need to find a good one, if anyone has any leads.

BTW, I was wondering if maybe one day there'll be a CD resurgence like the current one with vinyl. You know, after they've stopped making CDs and CD players. And maybe there'd be a new era of fancy, well-made CD players and CD pressing plants would reopen and such. I guess if that were to happen it wouldn't be for another 25 years or so, so I might be too dead to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's the model?

Insignia Portable CD Player BlackCharcoal
    Model: NS-P4112
    SKU: 8222915

Sorry, i just saw your post.

I wound up buying three of them for ten bucks a piece.
    Hopefully they will last longer than I do.

It even has a "Prog" setting
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

They are not considered safe because they are an aftermarket product, and there is a very real possibility that in a crash they could come unfastened and become a projectile.

That being said, some people make the parental decision to use them anyways. I've made the parental decision to use them for long car rides (3+ hours) for my children. I bought ones that had the most substantial/secure straps I could find that connect to the headrests, and that I could get most firmly attached.

Also, I don't have any proof or data to back up my feelings/opinion, but in my mind, it seems that in a frontal crash the one most likely to become a projectile that will hit my kids in the face/head is the one in front of my rear-facing kids (since crash forces would be pulling it away from its anchor point instead of pushing it into the headrest/anchor point) I also only install them with the secondary (and therefore much lighter in weight) monitor being used for my rear-facing children. The heavier/main monitor is attached to the back of a headrest for use for my forward facing children.

You definitely have to weigh the risks vs benefits for your particular situation.

For me the decision came down to the fact that with my particular kids, I KNOW (from experience on many 3+ hour long car rides without a DVD player) that during a 3+ hour car ride, I WILL be a distracted driver for at least 45 minutes due to various kids (or all!) whining/crying/complaining/fighting/etc about SOMETHING. I also know, after using a DVD player by Pioneer https://wheelstips.com/best-car-dvd-player for a few of the exact same trips, that they will NOT distract me for any more than about 5 mins if they have a DVD player. Being a distracted driver is very dangerous, so I chose to take the chance on the "IF we are in a wreck (which is lower chance since I wouldn't be distracted nearly as much), they MIGHT come unattached and cause extra injury" vs "I WILL be a distracted (and therefore dangerous) driver almost 1/3 of the drive"

For anything less than 3 hours, we don't use them, as my kids are able to entertain themselves with other things below the 3 hour threshold.
    On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic, I will share with you, one of them, hope this will help someone. Good luck

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I just got a new car that does not have a CD player. Hell, I was just getting used to the idea that you could have a CD player in your car, and the car I got rid of was old enough that it had a tape deck, so I just ordered one of these. (Couldn't find one for ten bucks, though)

Quote Originally Posted by Camari View Post
    For me the decision came down to the fact that with my particular kids, I KNOW (from experience on many 3+ hour long car rides without a DVD player) that during a 3+ hour car ride, I WILL be a distracted driver for at least 45 minutes due to various kids (or all!) whining/crying/complaining/fighting/etc about SOMETHING. I also know, after using a DVD player by Pioneer https://wheelstips.com/best-car-dvd-player for a few of the exact same trips, that they will NOT distract me for any more than about 5 mins if they have a DVD player. Being a distracted driver is very dangerous, so I chose to take the chance on the "IF we are in a wreck (which is lower chance since I wouldn't be distracted nearly as much), they MIGHT come unattached and cause extra injury" vs "I WILL be a distracted (and therefore dangerous) driver almost 1/3 of the drive"

For anything less than 3 hours, we don't use them, as my kids are able to entertain themselves with other things below the 3 hour threshold.
    On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic, I will share with you, one of them, hope this will help someone. Good luck
    these have become relatively rare (at least on offer on electronic appliances stores in western European continent), especially if you're looking for classic brand name (Pana-Sony, etc...)

I was happy with my Panasonic, but it got dropped from about 1m height and I had to look for a new one two years ago... only Weenie-type of brands still on the market
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I just got a new car that does not have a CD player [...] so I just ordered one of these. (Couldn't find one for ten bucks, though)
    I just spent some time looking over the reviews and got scared off, and canceled my order. Screw it; I'm sticking with non-mechanical audio devices.

My dad had the same request. I recently built him a home audio system with an AT turntable (he has loads of old vinyl), a pair of Presonus Eris monitors (he cares more about the fidelity). Skipped the amp and got him a Focusrite audio interface since he also likes to do some recording.

Then he later wanted a CD player for his collection so I got him an Onkyo DXC390. Might be worth a look

It looks like portable CD players are having a few extra last gasps, thanks to Bluetooth. Amazon now has some inexpensive Asian-made CD players with Bluetooth, and this is EXACTLY what I need. Undoubtedly I'll have a few functionality complaints, but I'm definitely going to order one right now, and if I'm basically satisfied I'll probably buy another in case the first one croaks and can't be exchanged.

As much as I've mostly been streaming Spotify and Bandcamp via Bluetooth for my listening, I still find tons of my CDs that aren't on any streaming service. And I've pretty much stopped ripping CDs. so this may be the way I can continue to fairly easily listen to my CDs around the house and not be tethered to one room.

Has anyone tried any of these? Are they being discussed on Hoffman or other fora?

^^ Not to mention while on the go, streaming services will eat right through your data allotment. Even if you have "unlimited data," most carriers will still slow you down after a certain usage.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I still have the one I got in the early 2000s, it could play MP3 CDs or this other sony propeitary format they were trying to push, plus had am/fm/weather/tv audio as well.
    Last time I tested it, it still works. Well, except for tv audio, because there isnt anything broadcast on that anymore here.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

^^ I remember when Sony pushed their MiniDisc technology. I can't imagine why that didn't catch on.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It looks like portable CD players are having a few extra last gasps, thanks to Bluetooth. Amazon now has some inexpensive Asian-made CD players with Bluetooth, and this is EXACTLY what I need. Undoubtedly I'll have a few functionality complaints, but I'm definitely going to order one right now, and if I'm basically satisfied I'll probably buy another in case the first one croaks and can't be exchanged.

As much as I've mostly been streaming Spotify and Bandcamp via Bluetooth for my listening, I still find tons of my CDs that aren't on any streaming service. And I've pretty much stopped ripping CDs. so this may be the way I can continue to fairly easily listen to my CDs around the house and not be tethered to one room.

Has anyone tried any of these? Are they being discussed on Hoffman or other fora?
    Please let us know what you think of it, John.

Jackpot! I found 4 used ones that my kids used as teenagers. All still work.

I am the old guy walking at the park with his portable CD player. My 5 mile walks allow me to listen to 1+ CDs I otherwise would not listen to. I fell back in November after slipping on dog shit. (please pick up after your dog!) The CD player broke but I still have an arsenal. As long as I can walk, I will still use them!