Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Torn appreciation thread

When What Means Solid, Traveler? was released, it didn't leave my CD player for weeks. Many deep dives into that......I am going to dig it out and give it a spin, it's been awhile!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    There are quite a few Sun of Goldfinger and Prezens amateur live recordings out there, several on Youtube, in case you want to check them out.

I was wondering if anyone was a fan of Robby Aceto's Code album. It's got Torn as producer and he contributes in some way to every track on the album. I have a hard time understanding how someone who likes Torn might not like this, but that's the case with my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

I was wondering if anyone was a fan of Robby Aceto's Code album. It's got Torn as producer and he contributes in some way to every track on the album. I have a hard time understanding how someone who likes Torn might not like this, but that's the case with my brother.
    I remember hearing about it when it came out. Guitar Player ran an article on Robby, but I never actually heard it. My memory was that was during that mid 90's era when Wax Stax had gone out of business, but before I started shopping at Borders. The only places around here to buy music were Circuit City and Best Buy, and as best as I remember, you couldn't special order stuff at either.

Anybody have Door X? I was a little shocked when I got it upon release. It's Torn's attempt at pop. He even sings on it. Not a great idea!

I like Door X. I also like the aforementioned What Means Solid, Traveler?, and Tripping Over God, both of which have vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Anybody have Door X? I was a little shocked when I got it upon release. It's Torn's attempt at pop. He even sings on it. Not a great idea!
    I thought it was not bad for what it was. Maybe it wasn't the record some people wanted him to make after Cloud About Mercury, but I actually kinda like it. Good version of Voodoo Child on that one!

Polytown with Karn & Bozzio is pretty good.
    It took a while for me to warm up to it ( 20 years ) but I like it a lot now.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Polytown with Karn & Bozzio is pretty good.
    It took a while for me to warm up to it ( 20 years ) but I like it a lot now.
    That's a great record. I also like the Lonely Universe record, with Karn, Michael Lambert and Michael White. I remember asking him about Lonely Universe album on AOL about something like 22 years ago, and he said he didn't have happy memories about making that album.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Yeah, gotta disagree with this, too. Lots of good tunes on this album. I put a shuffle of Torn albums on while I was grading essays this morning, and the Door X tunes (an album I've not listened to for years) consistently impressed. "Door X," in particular, has a pretty darn good solo.

Has anyone given the new version of Bowie's Never Let Me Down a good listen yet? Interested to hear what everyone thinks about this one.

And just in case any were unaware:
    "[Album producer Mario] McNulty went into New York’s Electric Lady Studios with drummer Sterling Campbell, guitarist Reeves Gabrels, guitarist David Torn and bassist Tim Lefebvre to remake the album completely, keeping little from the original besides Bowie’s vocal track."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-album-702189/
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Yeah I really liked this album, despite it's potential for commerciality, it's STILL him thru and thru.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I thought it was not bad for what it was. Maybe it wasn't the record some people wanted him to make after Cloud About Mercury, but I actually kinda like it. Good version of Voodoo Child on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's a great record. I also like the Lonely Universe record, with Karn, Michael Lambert and Michael White. I remember asking him about Lonely Universe album on AOL about something like 22 years ago, and he said he didn't have happy memories about making that album.
    Thanks for mentioning this one. I haven't heard it in a long time. I ripped it to put the tracks on my portable player, and it automatically set the Artist name to "Dr. Michael White".

I think on Sonar-Vortex they got too excited with bass! my house is rattling... will go ask neighbors what they think

A preview of the surefire hit single

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...th-ecm-795739/

Really liking this new Sun of Goldfinger CD...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Really liking this new Sun of Goldfinger CD...
    It's a bit noisy, but I'm enjoying it. I liked the second track the best, with the augmented lineup.

Just caught Sun of Goldfinger in Berkeley last night. Ches Smith's drums sounded pretty muffled at times, other than that it was great brain warping multi-layered stuff. Sometimes recalling Crimson Bruford era passages and late Coltrane in about equal parts. Some of the quieter parts were incredibly delicate and narcotic especially from Torn. Mid set, Berne said he was really pleased w/ the new record and commented that the band was pretty tired, even kind of apologizing for it, he went on to say that things would explode at the upcoming show in Portland. Probably a good one to hit if you're in the area.

I listened to the Sun Of Goldfinger CD for the first time two nights ago and was pleased with what I heard. It was a pleasing mix of noisy avant and the sublime. And like Bake 1 mentioned, I definitely heard some Crimson-type moments in there.

Torn's one of those rare players like Rypdal or Holdsworth that you can generally spot after a few notes. Kind of forgot about the Lonely Universe album, (man, those CMP albums were exceptionally well recorded!). It and Dark Tamna Voda are gorgeous, (Lonely Universe has a way more entertaining back cover photo)...
    download.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    I think on Sonar-Vortex they got too excited with bass! my house is rattling... will go ask neighbors what they think
    Yeah, I like Vortex. The other Torn project I dig? 2011's "Levin, Torn, White".

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Yeah, gotta disagree with this, too. Lots of good tunes on this album. I put a shuffle of Torn albums on while I was grading essays this morning, and the Door X tunes (an album I've not listened to for years) consistently impressed. "Door X," in particular, has a pretty darn good solo.

Has anyone given the new version of Bowie's Never Let Me Down a good listen yet? Interested to hear what everyone thinks about this one.

And just in case any were unaware:
    "[Album producer Mario] McNulty went into New York’s Electric Lady Studios with drummer Sterling Campbell, guitarist Reeves Gabrels, guitarist David Torn and bassist Tim Lefebvre to remake the album completely, keeping little from the original besides Bowie’s vocal track."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-album-702189/
    No idea how it works in practice, but in theory the very idea of Torn and Gabrels sharing guitar space on a Bowie album is exciting. They probably aren't even on the same cuts...

I've got to admit to loving Torn, but sometimes being frustrated at his penchant for mutilated guitar. Like a lot of great musicians, his affinity for the joy of noise gets a little too rarefied and unmoored.

This Sun Of Goldfinger album is pretty pretty good stuff. It might be my favourite "jazz" album of 2019.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Have Zorn and Torn ever done anything together?

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes