Thread: Cressida - Asylym

Cressida - Asylym

Since I'm always exploring, this one caught my eye...Any thoughts....

Do you like early UK Prog with a dreamy edge like Fantasy, Spring, Gygafo, Aesgard, Big Sleep, etc? Then you'd have to have the Cressida albums. I prefer this one, but many prefer the first.

I was looking forward to seeing them at Farfest, unfortunately that melted down.

For me, this is the pinnacle of the early symphonic proto-prog style. Absolutely drenched in organ, incredible vocals, great orchestral arrangements, wonderful melodies. A perfect album. This is one of those albums that is instantly recognizable as a product of the early 70s, in the best possible way.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I was looking forward to seeing them at Farfest, unfortunately that melted down.
    Out of all the amazing bands that would have played FarFest, they might have been at the top of my list as most anticipated. It's good to see that they're still playing the occasional show, so maybe they'll make it to the US at some point...

Great album imo. Proggier than debut for sure. Not better though. Both Cressida albums are fantastic. I love the spirit of Asylum, nostalgic, while also experimental - a rare blend of sensibility. Munich, and Summer Weekend Of A Lifetime are favorites.

I remember thinking this was way over-rated when I finally got a copy of it. Buy a copy of the self-titled Gracious! album if you want really good proto-prog.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Wonderful!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I have the GOTT 2 CD. Still the best version out there IMO. The Repertoire versions are also very good, but I prefer the GOTT. The old(er) BGO should sound as good I suppose. Haven't heard the more recent Esoteric versions.
    Great music. Very good singer.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Still one of my favourite “proto-prog” albums. It’s a grave pity they never survived after this album as its sophistication was quite far beyond most of their peers at the time. Peter Jennings’ jazzy keyboards, Angus Cullen’s rich and sumptuous vocals, the dazzling orchestration of “Munich” (still my most beloved Cressida song). All wrapped up in wonderful Keef cover art. This was the first CD I ever bought (back in 1993, I was rather late to accept CD technology, and still didn’t yet own a CD player!) and I still cherish it.

Note: guitarist John Culley later joined Black Widow for their “we want to be Yes” phase (III and the archival IV). They’re not classics by any stretch of the imagination, and they have barely anything to do with the “satanic” phase of the band that earned them their fame, but I find them to be cool and underrated early sympho-prog just the same.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
    --Shona Laing

N.P.:“Daphne (Laurel Tree)”-Kayak/Phantom of the Night

Filmed them performing "Munich" and other tracks at their London gig in Dec 2011 -

I was hoping to get a good audience recording of the show to replace the camera's crude sound, but none has surfaced to my knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    I remember thinking this was way over-rated when I finally got a copy of it. Buy a copy of the self-titled Gracious! album if you want really good proto-prog.
    Gracious was definitely off the wall and there are some strange stories about this band. I can't recall if they went under a different name when they toured opening for THE WHO ..but it seems like they did open for THE WHO in '68 and there were some strange road stories posted somewhere? but...very strange and not typical. I'llhave to look this up. Asylum was interesting and had a nice flow.

Loved both Cressida albums when Repertoire records reissued them in the 90's...

Still like them, of course... but like many of the UK proto-prog groups (as how they were called then), they're allright (and even good), but I can't be as "dithyrambic" as I was about them once...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Not earth shattering but both albums are worthy of inclusion in any Prog collection. IMO, neither Cressida nor Gracious are "proto-", but rather early Prog....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    IMO, neither Cressida nor Gracious are "proto-", but rather early Prog....
    now, we are splitting hair into 4 pieces...