Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Alan Parsons Project - Eve

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

The Alan Parsons Project - Eve

Most people seem to overlook "Eve" by The Alan Parsons Project. In a way, I understand that. It's not as coherent as "Tales" and "I Robot" and the material is not a strong as on "The Turn Of A Friendly Card" and "Eye In The Sky".

Yet, an album that starts so brilliantly with the instrumental 'Lucifer' and ends with one of the few female sung APP-song 'If I Could Change Your Mind' could do little wrong with me. The songs in between are all at least good, with 'Damned If I Do' and 'I'd Rather Be A Man' as great songs.

I consider it at least better than "Pyramid" and "Ammonia Avenue", both of which I like too, and way better than the three last APP-albums.

I had a female friend in college who hated this album with a passion-- not the music but she felt that the lyrics and concept really overdid the hostility toward women, and the female singers only got lyrics that made them sound weak/helpless (and then there was the hideous cover). Some of the music is nice but overall, I think she was right.

Well, I consider "Gaudi" as a return to form. It's my fifth fave APP album after "Tales", "Gaudi", "Card" and "Eye".

Jon Neudorf
    I've always liked "Eve", as well as "Gaudi".

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I've always liked "Eve", as well as "Gaudi".
    Ditto.

I never went too into the concepts though. I just love the audiophile sound of the APP albums.

Overall a pretty weak album for APP. The one song that stands out is "Lucifer". Recently I went back and filled in my APP collection since they lost me around "Ammonia Avenue". I was pleasantly surprised by the three last albums, that I avoided until now for fear they were too pop. They each had some surprisingly good moments ... in and around the cheesy bits. "Gaudi" in particular, was a great album to end with. But Eve didn't improve one bit. In its defense, I did enjoy the bonus track of "Elsie's Theme from 'The Sicilian Defence' (the Project that never was)". The second best track after "Lucifer".
    Last edited by thx5150; 04-04-2013 at 10:29 PM.

It is not a bad album, but one of my least favorite from APP.

Steve Sly

My first album from APP and one for which I maintain a soft spot.

I got it soon after it was released and remember being startled by the cover when I looked at it closely.

I like the vocal harmonies on "Secret Garden".

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Lesley Duncan is terrific. I love her singing on If I Could Change Your Mind.

I love it. Lot's of great, catchy songs and beautifully sung and played.

Much prefer it to Tales of Mystery..., for example, which takes itself far too seriously.

A middle of the road APP album for me. But what's wrong with the cover? These are two very attractive women wearing veils. Veils were worn as a fashion statement I believe back in the 30's and 40's. A kind of elegance. I wish alot of those kinds of things would come back into style.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Nowhere near as good as Pyramid. Pretty weak album, quite sappy on a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    But what's wrong with the cover? These are two very attractive women wearing veils. Veils were worn as a fashion statement I believe back in the 30's and 40's. A kind of elegance. I wish alot of those kinds of things would come back into style.
    Look more closely at the faces behind the veils.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    OOOOh. Never noticed. Well, beat me with a stick

Sorry, I'm not getting it-- do you mean that one looks like she has a black eye? Or is that smeared mascera?

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    This is hilarious. I remember getting the album when it came out. After having it for about a week, my friend said, "Have you looked at the cover?" "No, what about it?" "Look at it closely." And then I saw it... all the warts, etc. Then I turned it over. The girl on the back of the cover had a big growth on the side of her face. Yuck.

Musically, it's one of the weaker efforts, but still has some good stuff on it. I like it better than the jazzy, DX7 sounding Stereotomy album, although the title track is pretty cool.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Minasian View Post
    This is hilarious. I remember getting the album when it came out. After having it for about a week, my friend said, "Have you looked at the cover?" "No, what about it?" "Look at it closely." And then I saw it... all the warts, etc. Then I turned it over. The girl on the back of the cover had a big growth on the side of her face. Yuck.

Musically, it's one of the weaker efforts, but still has some good stuff on it. I like it better than the jazzy, DX7 sounding Stereotomy album, although the title track is pretty cool.

Dave
    Of course the veils do have spots on them. That's the way they were made. But when I got the album all those years ago, I never noticed the bruises. They are a makeup job but I just liked looking at the girls wearing their veils. Going to dig out the viny copy and have a better look.

Never understood the cover with the warts and all, but always loved the second track "You Lie Down With Dogs"....overall, not one of my favorite APP albums but still good enough to buy and keep.....
    www.canvasproductions.net

APP lost me with this one...
    Pyramid was uneven, but had some real highs
    But this one was very even (read overly average)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    LOL.

Also, what's the big deal about the cover of Wish You Were Here? The two men have simply reached a business agreement, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I had a female friend in college who hated this album with a passion-- not the music but she felt that the lyrics and concept really overdid the hostility toward women, and the female singers only got lyrics that made them sound weak/helpless (and then there was the hideous cover). Some of the music is nice but overall, I think she was right.
    I could be wrong, but I got the sense that they weren't dissing women, but rather dissing men who were dissing women.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I could be wrong, but I got the sense that they weren't dissing women, but rather dissing men who were dissing women.
    This would seem right to me... I don't think that APP is crazy enough to cut itself half their potential market by shitting on it...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The weakest of the "good" Alan Parson's albums (from Tales to Eye). It starts very strongly with "Lucifer" but from then onwards is a constant disappointment.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Its my least favorite APP album, but still listen to it every now and then.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that