Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wishbone Ash !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Do you call those two trance album he released as "Wishbone Ash" albums upholding "the brand"? What did those two horrendous albums do for the reputation?
    They did not even remotely resemble Wishbone Ash. I felt like I was robbed when I purchased them both at the same time and heard them, they were a travesty.
    Everything Genesis did after 1981 didn't resemble Genesis, imo. If you were that much of a WA fan, then you would've known what to expect. It's not like he was trying to fool anyone. He personally told me what he was doing when he was doing it, and I never bought 'em.

I have seen Wishbone Ash on a number of occasions in the past 15 years and always enjoyed myself, but I also saw them as far back as 1976 and there is no comparison , not even close.
    I go as far back as 1973, so you don't need to tell me about the difference. Bands change, evolve, for better or worse. But AP has never compromised the overall quality of his work. Whether you happen to enjoy it or not is a matter of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    E If you were that much of a WA fan, then you would've known what to expect. It's not like he was trying to fool anyone. He personally told me what he was doing when he was doing it, and I never bought 'em.
    Now wait a minute Banquo my friend, how in the hell would anybody have known what to expect when Andy Powell made those two albums, unless of course they were on personal terms with him like you are . That was the last thing that I (and I guess most people)ever expected to hear from him, I bought them both expecting to hear something resembling Wishbone Ash . Now you being good buddies with him knew what was coming , lucky for you.

Banned
    Now wait a minute Banquo my friend, how in the hell would anybody have known what to expect when Andy Powell made those two albums, unless of course they were on personal terms with him like you are .
    Gee, wiseguy, I dunno. Prolly from a carving on the wall inside of a cave before 1998. Every now and then a smoke signal. Damn pony shows up every 3 months with nothing but pizza coupons. Otherwise I'm fucked. How do you get your news in the morning?

Do you call those two trance album he released as "Wishbone Ash" albums upholding "the brand"? What did those two horrendous albums do for the reputation?They did not even remotely resemble Wishbone Ash. I felt like I was robbed when I purchased them both at the same time and heard them, they were a travesty. He gets way to much credit for being the keeper of the flame.
    While I do think AP is being a bit ruthless about the trademarking, I certainly don't think he gets too much credits, as keeper of the flame... OK, the two techno/trance albums are total mistakes, but who hasn't done any???
    Outside of those two "things" , the rest has been more ore less up to par with the Wisefield-line-up albums (there were a few lesser ones in those)...
    If memory serves, Illuminations is better than anything they've done ince the start of the 80's (and possibly since There's the Rub)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Gee, wiseguy, I dunno. Prolly from a carving on the wall inside of a cave before 1998. Every now and then a smoke signal. Damn pony shows up every 3 months with nothing but pizza coupons. Otherwise I'm fucked. How do you get your news in the morning?
    Well, you gotta admit that both the titles and the artwork should've given you a good hint to first listen before buying a cat in a bag...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, you gotta admit that both the titles and the artwork should've given you a good hint to first listen before buying a cat in a bag...

In hindsight yes you are right, but at the time the internet wasn't nearly what it is today so I didn't really even think to look it up, I was still learning how to turn the computer on in those days , so I'll hold my hand up to that. Though it still doesn't excuse the fact that he labeled those albums as Wishbone Ash albums, trademarked name or not. If he would have released them as Andy Powell solo albums people like me wouldn't have made the mistake of buying them, thinking they were getting a proper Wishbone Ash release. And believe me there were and still are many people who felt duped by him.

And let me say again, I don't hate or even dislike Andy Powell, I have much respect for him as a guitarist.

I also don't see why he is so worried about Martin using Wishbone Ash in his bands name, I mean by now anybody who cares about Wishbone Ash knows which band is which. I could see it if they were drawing big crowds to their live gigs but they are basically a pub band, as is the Martin Turner version and neither of them ever play to more than 400 people (usually less than that), with the rare exception of when they get on some type of festival billing.
    I agree with this and wonder if the whole thing with lawyers couldn't have been avoided, given its cost. How much income can a band like WA provide anyway?

They seem to play in about 30-40 US cities annually and about the same number in Europe. In the US if 100-200 people show up at a pub and pay $20 each, and the venue takes half, that means the band is left with $2000 max. I assume they have some roadies, so $1000 of that is probably eaten up by wages, lodging and travel costs. Doesn't really leave too much for the band, does it? Maybe $200 per night for each member? Even 100 gigs annually at that rate makes for a meager $20K annually.

Am I missing something here? I'm not including merch but how much can that really add? Maybe 20 shirts a night? Not exactly something worth getting lawyers involved in, IMHO.

Banned
    I may be wrong, but I thought I read on Facebook somewhere yesterday that Martin Turner is no longer using the Wishbone Ash name.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I may be wrong, but I thought I read on Facebook somewhere yesterday that Martin Turner is no longer using the Wishbone Ash name.
    Well, his website is still up if that tells you anything.

Banned
    Take a look at the October 27th post on the official Wishbone Ash Facebook page. There is only one WA now.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I agree with this and wonder if the whole thing with lawyers couldn't have been avoided, given its cost. How much income can a band like WA provide anyway?

Am I missing something here? I'm not including merch but how much can that really add? Maybe 20 shirts a night? Not exactly something worth getting lawyers involved in, IMHO.
    Well, if lawyers got involved (whether they're good or not is debatable) , it's probably because there is enough money to make it interesting for them (they don't give a shit about the clients)...
    You could maybe add to the merchendise all the rights to the albums and sales (as insignificant they might be)

They can rename the band Wishbone Cash
    Last edited by Trane; 10-30-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Verdict has been reached regarding the Wishbone Ash name dispute: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...ash-name-case/
    Last edited by Gerardo; 10-30-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Take a look at the October 27th post on the official Wishbone Ash Facebook page. There is only one WA now.
    I don't do Facebook.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    Verdict has been reached regarding the Wishbone Ash name dispute: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...ash-name-case/
    There's nothing new there. It's what we've been talking about all along. The appeal, if filed, has still not been decided.

There's nothing new there. It's what we've been talking about all along. The appeal, if filed, has still not been decided.
    Ah, sorry. I read it this morning on Facebook and thought it was fresh news.