Thread: Happy Birthday, Marvin Gaye(R.I.P)

Banned

Happy Birthday, Marvin Gaye(R.I.P)

Marvin Pentz Gay, Jr. would've 74 today. He is one of the few Motown artists(along with Stevie Wonder) to write his own songs. I first fell in love with Marvin when I would heard What's Going On and Mercy Mercy Me on my parents' CD player. Mr. Gaye(along with Mr. Wonder) is one of few soul artists that I own music from. His voice is magical. It's a shame that he was shot dead by his dad. Who's a fan of Marvin?

Love, love, love Marvin's stuff. My favourites are the obvious ones, What's Going On and Let's Get It On, but I also have a collection of his duets with the gorgeous Tami Terrell (and her post-mortem impersonators!) which is just sooo good.

Plenty of fine stuff in the early singles, of course, and the leter stuff, while patchy, still hits the spot.

Here My Dear is a sort of guilty pleasure for me: some great music, but it's a mean spirited record, not what I love in Marvin's stuff.

I miss completely the appeal of Stevie Wonder, but IMO Marvin will always be one of the greats.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Marvin Pentz Gay, Jr. would've 74 today. He is one of the few Motown artists(along with Stevie Wonder) to write his own songs. I first fell in love with Marvin when I would heard What's Going On and Mercy Mercy Me on my parents' CD player. Mr. Gaye(along with Mr. Wonder) is one of few soul artists that I own music from. His voice is magical. It's a shame that he was shot dead by his dad. Who's a fan of Marvin?
    +1

Peace,
    Alex

Only 2 replies??!!??

What's going on?

(Sorry, decided not to resist)

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Only 2 replies??!!??

What's going on?

(Sorry, decided not to resist)
    I'm wondering the same thing. My Janis thread met with a similar thread. C'mon guys, chime in. I don't care if you don't like Marvin. I welcome all opinions.

This just slays:

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    This just slays:

One of the best and most soulful renditons of the National Anthem. A truly memorable moment.

I love Marvin Gaye, great singer and he had a pleothora of great albums during the 60's and 70's. No matter severly times
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa