Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions don't require hate.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Bravo. This I agree with.

, this I don't agree with. Never cared for that "put your hard had and flame retardent suit on" attitude. Everyone should be included on the main boards (private clubs are another story) to be able to post an opinion without being insulted. There's gotta be some middle ground somewhere. Why is everything one extreme or another? (that's how it seems sometimes).
    Personal attacks on other posters would be a violation of the terms of the site, but it seems to me that anything pertaining to music and performance should be fair game. Problem is that some people take any slight against their favorite musician, band or album as an attack on themselves which I think is pretty wrongheaded. I've participated in vigorous discussions where liking something like the music of Yes was very much a minority opinion held ONLY by myself and the band was ridiculed mercilessly. It didn't faze me in the slightest. I still spoke my mind and didn't hold it against anyone for hating and mocking them (and some of the mocking was damned funny) despite being one of my 2-3 favorite artists of all time.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm not a fan of threads like this for two reasons:

1) PE is a fairly accommodating place. But there should be room for critical opinion and debate. For every person that is too critical, there's also one that's too sensitive that can't handle critical opinion. So it works both ways imo. But threads like this just imply we actually have a big problem here when, in truth, it's a few bad apples and some fanboys.

2) It's better suited for a Facebook status, where people can "like" it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Promote what you love instead of attacking what you hate.
    Another YES thread?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    And don't get me started about those who get their precious prog panties in a pink twist just because a three-chord act is brought up in OT.
    I'll just come out and say it: Any given track by The Smiths means far more to me than the entire Gentle Giant discography.

Personal attacks on other posters would be a violation of the terms of the site, but it seems to me that anything pertaining to music and performance should be fair game. Problem is that some people take any slight against their favorite musician, band or album as an attack on themselves which I think is pretty wrongheaded
    I'll go with that. I always say that any public thread is fair game. It doesn't hurt to have a sense of humor about all this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'm not a fan of threads like this for two reasons:

1) PE is a fairly accommodating place. But there should be room for critical opinion and debate. For every person that is too critical, there's also one that's too sensitive that can't handle critical opinion. So it works both ways imo. But threads like this just imply we actually have a big problem here when, in truth, it's a few bad apples and some fanboys.

2) It's better suited for a Facebook status, where people can "like" it.
    Agreed 100%. This is the most accommodating prog forum on the net. We don't do hate. Some people have a hard time separating criticism from it though, clearly.

I hate you all.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I hate you all.
    Then take that f*****g hat in your profile pic off!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I hate you all.
    Right back at ya big guy!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    and how the fuck am I supposed to do that? I'd need Vinnie-like photoshop skills to pull that one off!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Hat haters

It's because that hat was a gift from him to me. That photo was taken at FMPM in 2008 iirc. It was the first time I met the Geezer. He was wearing that hat but at some point in the absinthe-soaked evening it ended up on my head.

You're all anti-hat-tites.

It takes more strength to hold back the impulse to be negative than to let the negativity fly & see what happens. You can attract more more bees with honey &, in the end, isn't this what we all want? More converts to our viewpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What I do expect is to see negative reviews in threads. If someone thinks [insert name of album/artist/film] sucks, then let 'em say it without having to explain it in every detail and without people doing eyerolls.
    If I say something negative about a band/album/whatever, I usually try to explain why I don't like that thing. If you stay away from certain threads with these valid criticisms, most folk don't care. I'd much rather see a "This sucks because . . ." rather than "This sucks." But, yes, if you post in certain threads, the criticism, valid or not, is not viewed for what it is. In a roundabout way, I guess you could say those people in those threads feel like they are being personally attacked. It is no disgrace, if some good people don't like like what you like.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Hatahz gonna hate.

Just in case anyone thought my "hat" post was serious, it was as serious as my hatted friend from the north usually is.

It was indeed a gift from me since Yves admired it and had previously sent me a bunch of music. The absinthe may have contributed to my generosity. I love hate (must be a Freudian typo). I meant hats.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Attached Images Attached Images

"I hate you ... almost as much as I hate myself"

--
    Damian Faust

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Last edited by Sean; 04-03-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    This is a music forum, that kind of talk doesn't belong here.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'd much rather see a "This sucks because . . ." rather than "This sucks."
    Well, maybe it's just me, but I'm the type that doesn't care why someone thinks something sucks .

If I think and album is boring I might explain why I think it's boring, but sometimes I think it's boring, just because it's boring .

If I start a thread about [artist/album/whatever] and someone just posts two words - It Sucks, I don't care why they think it sucks. But again, that's just me.