Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: And the best bassist of all time is....

Got to throw in the name of my hometown homie Billy Sheehan.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, but even in that context, here in 2013, John Taylor topping such a poll seems odd. If this was 1984, when Duran Duran were on top of the world, and John, Andy, Simon, Roger, and Nick were on the cover of every magazine (I'm not sure whether I should be embarrassed I actually know the names of all five original Duran Duran members),
    I think you're pretty sure.

Jazz - Paul Chambers, Charlie Haden
    Fusion - Jaco or Percy Jones
    Prog - Tony Levin, Patrick Djivas
    Classical - Jurek Dybal
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

For Jazz, it would be Oscar Pettiford for me. He was one of the true original innovators of bebop along with Bird & Dizzy, etc., and earlier on he expanded on the fundamentals developed by Jimmy Blanton in the swing tradition. Paul Chambers, Mingus, Ron Carter, Richard Davis, etc. were all great bass players, but they weren't the innovator(s) that OP was. In rock and fusion, it would be too hard to choose. Jonas Hellborg ain't too shabby!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Best bass player? Eh - kind of like asking what the best bread is. It all depends on what's in the sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Any list of greatest bassists has to include Larry Graham, Bootsy (baby), and Bernard Edwards.
    well, to be sure Larry and Bootsy were innovators, but Bernard was more technically gifted. So, it depends on which value is being touted. Stanley of course, was both an innovator and technically gifted and played Rock, Jazz and I have no doubt he can and has played Classical style as well so that's why he is *the* man.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Mont Campbell
    John Gustafson
    Louis Cennamo
    Jack Bruce

My choices are:
    Rock - Jack Bruce, Jack Casady, Martin Turner, John Entwhistle
    Prog - Bill Kopecky
    Fusion - Jaco Pastorius
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I could list many, many more--but I will plug just a couple right now. Skuli Sverrissen is an amazing, unique voice on the instrument, and I generally pick up anything he's recorded on....
    Yikes! How could I have left him out!! Thanks for mentioning, a tremendous and very unique player.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    and in terms of upright/doublebass/violincello or whatever you want to call it, the sadly-departed Stefano Scodanibbio, composer and bassist, had a command of the instrument that I have NEVER seen anyone approach. It's not for everyone, but his music exploited every possible nuance the instrument was capable of producing.
    Saw him solo in Victoriaville a few years ago and my reaction was pretty much the same as yours.

For those interested, a recent ECM New Series recording collects five absolutely wonderful pieces for string quartet (sadly, he is not featured on them), proving that, as tremendous a performer as he was, he was also an equally stellar composer.

It's called Reinventions, and I would recommend it highly. Not sure if I'll be reviewing it or not, but if not, it's not a matter of not liking the record (I love it), it's just a matter of time.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I wouldn't put him in the top spot, but there is no doubt in my mind that John Taylor is an excellent bassist whose work is one of the hidden (or not so hidden in light of this poll) joys of listening to D2. Incidentally, D2's most recent album, All You Need Is Now, is an awesome return to form so check it out if you're so inclined.

I do sorta wonder if they exclusively polled women in their late thirties and early forties to get this outcome.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Paul McCartney, just for his influence alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Saw him solo in Victoriaville a few years ago and my reaction was pretty much the same as yours.

For those interested, a recent ECM New Series recording collects five absolutely wonderful pieces for string quartet (sadly, he is not featured on them), proving that, as tremendous a performer as he was, he was also an equally stellar composer.

It's called Reinventions, and I would recommend it highly. Not sure if I'll be reviewing it or not, but if not, it's not a matter of not liking the record (I love it), it's just a matter of time.
    John, thanks for that! I didn't know about it. I saw him at a little art gallery with about 15 other people--just him and his bass, in the corner of a room, and all of us sitting on folding chairs. My friend used to manage him, otherwise I would never have heard his name. This was one of the most sublime musical moments of my life, for sure.

What he could do with the bow, alone, was enough to make me giggle uncontrollably. Sad that he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    Prog: Geddy Lee
    Fusion: Matthew Garrison
    Jazz: too many greats to name one

This is just one music lover's opinion. Peace and goodwill.
    Oops! I left off Percy Jones and Billy Sheehan. I guess there is no one best bass player. The best bass player all depends on personal taste. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

Prog lives!

Old man of prog
    Nick Beggs is the man

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    well, to be sure Larry and Bootsy were innovators, but Bernard was more technically gifted. So, it depends on which value is being touted. Stanley of course, was both an innovator and technically gifted and played Rock, Jazz and I have no doubt he can and has played Classical style as well so that's why he is *the* man.
    Stan loses points in my book for that hip hop version of Born In The USA he did back in the 80's. Yeah, I understand making R&B records, you have to do what you have to do to avoid returning to a day job, but what he did to that song was just plain tacky.

...fortunately there's a lot more to it than who can run the fastest or jump the highest w/ bass players and music in general...Hodgkinson is a good one, (he comes up w/ some great stuff on the 1st two Back Door records).

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Mont Campbell
    John Gustafson
    Louis Cennamo
    Jack Bruce
    Glad to see John Gustafson listed.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post

...fortunately there's a lot more to it than who can run the fastest or jump the highest w/ bass players and music in general...Hodgkinson is a good one, (he comes up w/ some great stuff on the 1st two Back Door records).
    I love those first two Back Door records, too.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    For Jazz, it would be
    Wilbur Ware
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I like the category idea:

POP: Paul McCartney(It all started with this guy and nobody will ever tell me different. ronmac knows.)
    PROG: Chris Squire
    FUSION: Victor Wooten
    Fretless Fusion: Percy Jones
    ROCK: John Paul Jones
    PROG-METAL: The guy from Spiral Architect
    TAPPING: Billy Sheehan

The thread really should be FAVORITE BASS PLAYER in all genres. Best is so subjective.....has nothing to do with substance.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Jeff Berlin (Bruford band)

Jazz: Tie between Mingus & Graham Collier

Prog: Tie between Cerletti (Circus) and Dougie Thompson (Supertramp >> yup, he's reallyexcellent for that band)

Rock: Tie between Casady, Flea, Entwistle and J Bruce

Fusion: Tie between Michel Hatzi (Aka Moon) and Vitous

Metal: tie between Geezer Butler and Steve Harris

Misc: Danny Thompson (jazz & folk-rock)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Out of the top of my head, some of my favourites:
    Chris Squire, Ron Carter, Stanley Clarke, Pete Perez (Spastic Ink), Gary Thain (U.Heep), S.Harris, M.Rutherford, John Patitucci, John Wetton, Tony Levin, Martin Turner.

Oh, whattheheck, people are listing bassists.....

Alain Caron.
    Anthony Jackson.
    Matthew Garrison.
    Nico Assumpcao (RIP).
    Tony Gray.
    Indro
    Tetsuo Sakuri.
    Teruo Nakamura.
    Thierry Mineau.
    Dominique DiPiazza.
    Bill Laswell.
    Bunny Brunel.