Thread: OT RIP: Horror Writer James Herbert

OT RIP: Horror Writer James Herbert

James Herbert, UK author of numerous horror novels has passed away at the age of 69. I think I've read everything he's done up through Shrine...have meant to try his later novels, but have just never gotten around to it.

Hard to pick favorites - seems like they were all good in their own way: The Rats/Lair, The Fog, The Spear, The Dark, Survivor...even the non-horror Fluke (man reincarnated in a dog's body story). Perhaps after I've finished re-reading Robert McCammon's They Thirst I'll revisit one of Herbert's books...

Peter

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Very sad - he was only 69, not old. I actually haven't read anything by him, but knew his name. Also, I see that he wrote The Secret of Crickley Hall, which was serialized on BBC recently.

Peter, are you Peter Renfro? I think so, just couldn't remember if Proglodite was you now. Anyway, can you recommend one James Herbert novel?

Thanks,
    Jed

He may not but I can. Try "The Others". I also liked "once..." but they are totally different in mood.

Was "The Others" the one with the detective and the old asylum...if so, that was a great read!
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I don't know much about him other than he was British and friends with Rick Wakeman. But then again Rick claims to be friends with a lot of people. Anyway, RIP.

A lot of kids my age grew up in the 1970s and 1980s reading James Herbert novels. The joke being that the spine was always bent heavily at the sex scenes. :-) I didn't like much of his later stuff, although Haunted and Magic Cottage were very good. He inspired people Shaun Hutson (Slugs, and now more mainstream thriller types - another author loved by teenagers due to the high blood/sex content.)

RIP - might have to go and re-read The Fog and the Rats. I recently picked up a box set of his early novels!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Was "The Others" the one with the detective and the old asylum...if so, that was a great read!
    Yeah, and the detective suffers from what the Elephant Man suffered from. He's the narrator.